Spoiled rich white kid kills 4 drunk driving gets no jail time

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 4, 2009
A prospective 120 days for being a fugitive on the run... wtf?

I just read an article apparently parole violations for the juvenile parole system are capped at 120 days in his state. The DA could ask to transfer his parole to the adult system but doing so would start him with a clean slate.
Looks like he'll get another chance to fuck up again.

Phokus

Lifer
Nov 20, 1999
This is Texas, can't one of you crazy rednecks do an 'accidental discharge' of your firearm his way? :D

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Drinking when you're not supposed to be at parties - that's a parole violation. Not contacting your parole officer when you're supposed to, that's a parole violation. But after a video of violating parole goes viral, and there's much discussion of sending the kid to prison, are they reallllly going to treat fleeing the country to avoid prosecution of a parole violation as just another parole violation?!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Remarks in the news conference with the county constabulary seem to suggest they'll still try and throw the book at the pair.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Remarks in the news conference with the county constabulary seem to suggest they'll still try and throw the book at the pair.

Yes, and it's worth mentioning that this is no fault of the local police. They are apparently not fans of this twit and were disappointed at the slap on the risk handed out by the judge. Then again, it isn't the cops who will determine the punishment here, and I linked an article above which says it is legally impossible for him to get more than 120 days for this. :(

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Drinking when you're not supposed to be at parties - that's a parole violation. Not contacting your parole officer when you're supposed to, that's a parole violation. But after a video of violating parole goes viral, and there's much discussion of sending the kid to prison, are they reallllly going to treat fleeing the country to avoid prosecution of a parole violation as just another parole violation?!

Your post made me think of this:

tumblr_lwsbmaBLPy1r5gxtwo1_500.jpg

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
I just read an article apparently parole violations for the juvenile parole system are capped at 120 days in his state. The DA could ask to transfer his parole to the adult system but doing so would start him with a clean slate.
Looks like he'll get another chance to fuck up again.

I'd transfer his ass to the adult system, it won't take long for him to violate his probation again and then he gets the jail time.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005

Aren't we getting into federal offenses here? Seems like this is an issue completely separate and he could be charged as an adult, at least I would hope so.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Aren't we getting into federal offenses here? Seems like this is an issue completely separate and he could be charged as an adult, at least I would hope so.

That's what the media legal analysts seemed to imply. First, they were going to take him back to juvenile court, but there was some insinuation that the original conviction could be vacated in such a way that he could be retried for it. In that case, he could face 20 years.

I don't know -- I'm not a criminal attorney. I'd hate to see him get off with a 120-day slap on the wrist.

I can tell you, though, this isn't just about alcoholism or parole violation. If he gets away without doing serious time, he'll likely get into some sort of trouble again. Remember Zimmerman, who had been acquitted for the Trayvon murder? First, he got in trouble in Texas; then again, there was some domestic altercation.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

It's a legal technicality. As a juvenile the penalties are limited and there's not much they can do to him. They can have him treated as an adult going forward which they surely will, but that still restricts the penalties as the parole violations were committed as a juvenile. So this time he's going to get a max of four months inside no matter whether it's as an adult or a juvenile. If he get transferred to the adult courts they can only nail his ass to the wall next time, not this time. He's going to pretty much skate and there's no way around it. He'll probably get sentenced to the full 120 days and get out in a month or less with a more restrictive probation. We can only hope he fucks up yet again.

And I hope they lock up the mom to the fullest extent of the law. Aiding and abetting a fugitive from justice, that's got to be worth some time inside.

Nov 25, 2013
I would say he should be expected to spend the remainder of his 10 year probation period in jail.

Max punishment is most likely 120 days.

"Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson said the most Couch faces is 120 days in jail for violating his probation, or less time if his case is not transferred to adult court.

He’d have to commit another probation violation to face longer than 120 days behind bars, she said, with multiple consecutive 10-year sentences possible if that happens.

“It is the horns of a dilemma of Texas law,” she said. “We are bound by the sentence he received from the juvenile judge.”

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...y-party-before-fleeing-to-mexico-sheriff-says

Apparently mom can get 2 to 10 years for her part in this though.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Max punishment is most likely 120 days.

"Tarrant County District Attorney Sharen Wilson said the most Couch faces is 120 days in jail for violating his probation, or less time if his case is not transferred to adult court.

He&#8217;d have to commit another probation violation to face longer than 120 days behind bars, she said, with multiple consecutive 10-year sentences possible if that happens.

&#8220;It is the horns of a dilemma of Texas law,&#8221; she said. &#8220;We are bound by the sentence he received from the juvenile judge.&#8221;

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles...y-party-before-fleeing-to-mexico-sheriff-says

Apparently mom can get 2 to 10 years for her part in this though.

His mom must live her life in a perpetual alcoholic haze - they threw a going away party before fleeing to Mexico? She didn't even check to see if Mexico had an extradition treaty with the US?

Someone tell Ted Cruz we found his running mate. I'm sure she's being persecuted for her faith somewhere in there.

Last edited:

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
you're assuming he has a conscience.

Quite possible and a good argument can be made of that.

Methinks though that he, in his wanton ride of wealth induced self-indulgence and arrogance tripped over a line that he never knew existed until it smacked him square in the face. The kid didn't know how to deal with the horror he created. I believe both he and his parents didn't really know how to handle the mess the kid created for the fact that both he and mom chose to flee a possible violation, which only exacerbated the whole affair. Sort'a reminds me of OJ Simpson's long and slow Bronco ride down the freeway with a fleet of cops following behind him.

That the parents were more than willing to use their money and influence to escape the real and true justice their son deserved speaks volumes toward the attitude and behavior their son acquired from them. That his parents felt the four deaths and the misery and sorrow their son caused should not be a burden on him and that he should be protected from it with a shield of wealth is, IMO, the worst possible outcome and lesson the kid could get out of it.

If anything, I do hold the kid's parents ultimately responsible.

This ridiculous excuse of being a victim of "affluenza" only serves to protect and perpetuate the kind of arrogance and demands for privileges that the wealthy wish to anoint themselves with.

FTS I say.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2009
My prediction he gets something easy, Mom gets years in jail he now lives on his own and gets picked up for an OUI by the end of 2016

Last edited:

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Money talks and bullshit walks. Always has, always will, should be no surprise. If he kept his nose clean the first time, he'd be fine but chances are he'll never serve the full term regardless...not when you have money

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
This may have already been addressed, but if they can't get him can they get the mother for aiding him to escape? She could get a nice lengthy sentence.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
They should be able to get her with accessory, but no prosecutor wants to go after the connected. They like the easy win to pad their record, not the uphill battle.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
What the parents have is the weapon most prosecutors are in abject fear of: The ability of the parents to hire attorneys that have the ability to make said prosecutors look like lost babes in a forest full of wolves.

Along with that are those many other contributing factors that make going up against a family steeped in wealth and political influence a tough nut to crack.

Too, judges are humans first, with the same frailties and desires as any other human. That they can somehow receive "intangible" benefits by turning a sympathetic ear toward a possible benefactor cannot be ignored, no matter how impartial they like to appear to be. By shading the letter of the law with the discretionary powers vested in them to their liking, it's very easy to see how they can be bought off if the benefits and perks present themselves in "just the right way".

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
What the parents have is the weapon most prosecutors are in abject fear of: The ability of the parents to hire attorneys that have the ability to make said prosecutors look like lost babes in a forest full of wolves.

Along with that are those many other contributing factors that make going up against a family steeped in wealth and political influence a tough nut to crack.

Too, judges are humans first, with the same frailties and desires as any other human. That they can somehow receive "intangible" benefits by turning a sympathetic ear toward a possible benefactor cannot be ignored, no matter how impartial they like to appear to be. By shading the letter of the law with the discretionary powers vested in them to their liking, it's very easy to see how they can be bought off if the benefits and perks present themselves in "just the right way".

Well, it simply adds more proof to my longstanding belief that wealthy people are not necessarily the sharpest knives in the drawer.

Ethan and Mom were located through the use of their cell-phone.

And it adds to my self-acknowledged bigotry about the state where I and three generations of my family were born. I watch movies like "The Last Picture Show" and "No Country for Old Men" so I can snicker and laugh at a culture of big Stetsons and boots that look like mother's shoes. Even for that, I know better. Never mind that the Lone Star gave us three presidents and four wars.

I can also anticipate something about this Ethan Couch. His mother dotes on him. He feels special. He won't care how he might hurt others as he pursues his goals or objectives in life -- if he ever has the presence of mind to have any.

He will engage in more self-destructive behavior. If he breaks conditions of his parole again, it will be "40 years back to Yuma, Mr. Couch! 40 years back to Yuma!"

Maybe Donald Trump can take him under the wing. A lot of good that will do.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
According to a police report issued by the Jalisco state prosecutors' office, Ethan and Tonya Couch used one of their phones to order Domino's Pizza for a room at a condominium in the beach city of Puerto Vallarta. A U.S. Marshals Service agent tipped authorities in Mexico about the location of the phone on Monday.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Unfortunately my prediction was too optimistic. This article says the maximum he faces is 120 days of jail time:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/29/us/affluenza-teen-ethan-couch-detained-in-mexico/index.html

If he ends up on adult probation (as opposed to juvenile court probation), then violates it in the future, he could face serious time. But not for this. :( At least we can be certain that 120 days will make him whine and cry like a little bitch because he's so spoiled.

Maybe they'll prosecute the mother. I doubt she'll do time. We'll see.
Jesus wept. 120 days? Let us hope that extradition proceeds very slowly.

This is why we need minimum sentencing laws. Driving is an adult activity; anyone who drives drunk should therefore be charged as an adult, period, as they have agreed to take on adult responsibilities in exchange for driving privileges. And anyone who is driving intoxicated and kills someone needs to go to prison for at least five years, no exceptions. There are things legitimately beyond human control - diabetic coma, drug interaction, stroke, heart attack - which can make an accident your fault without attaching criminal fault, but alcohol and recreational drugs are well known to impair mental capacity. It's why people take them, after all. Saying someone doesn't know the difference between right and wrong shouldn't be a get out of jail free card, it should be a reason to keep that person locked up as a danger to society like any other psychopath convicted of a crime.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Jesus wept. 120 days? Let us hope that extradition proceeds very slowly.

This is why we need minimum sentencing laws. Driving is an adult activity; anyone who drives drunk should therefore be charged as an adult, period, as they have agreed to take on adult responsibilities in exchange for driving privileges. And anyone who is driving intoxicated and kills someone needs to go to prison for at least five years, no exceptions. There are things legitimately beyond human control - diabetic coma, drug interaction, stroke, heart attack - which can make an accident your fault without attaching criminal fault, but alcohol and recreational drugs are well known to impair mental capacity. It's why people take them, after all. Saying someone doesn't know the difference between right and wrong shouldn't be a get out of jail free card, it should be a reason to keep that person locked up as a danger to society like any other psychopath convicted of a crime.

Yeah, there's the thing. The "affluenza" defense is not saying he couldn't distinguish right from wrong - that would actually be consistent with an insanity defense. What it's saying is the parents never set limits so he didn't understand there were consequences for doing bad things. This is quite incredible when you ponder it...

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
He reportedly was telling people immediately after killing those four passengers not to worry, that his dad will handle this. He clearly has no conscience or remorse and supremely doubt these notions from some posters that he'll have to "live with it". I think he'll live with it quite well.