Speeding ticket.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Wow, 15? I would have been speeding too. Around here it is 20, with a flashing light, or when children are present.

garkon

Aug 13, 2004
^^^Defiantly agreed. :D

Though you were damn near twice the limit, it's only 13 over(which will get you a ticket in a 65 zone if the cop wants to), but if they only want you to go 15, 13 over is considered alot. I'd say count your losses, and just try to take traffic school or whatever you have to do in your area to keep it for raising your insurance.

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000
I got ticketed for going 45 in a school zone, went to court and beat it. The school zone was
in effect 8:00-8:30, I go by @ 7:55 @ 45MPH, the posted limit. Cops were under a big tree
pulling everyone, no crossing guard there, no cones or blinking lights to indicate 15MPH
limit was in effect. So I go to court and tell the judge about how I had it as 7:55 and told
him about no cones in the road, judge asks cop "were those cones in the crosswalk?"
yessir he tells the judge " maybe you didn't see them" the judge says to me, I replied
I had 15 minutes staring at the street while the cops were writing everyone up and still
didn't see them. Judge then withholds judification and fines me $10 court cost.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just admit your mistake, pay your ticket, and quit trying to slime your way out of it. School zone speed limits are something to be taken very seriously. Now, maybe you will be more careful.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
28 over in a school zone!!!!????

I'm surprised they didn't lock you up and take away your license. The judge is liable to throw the book at you. Better get an attorney if you hope to keep your license.

28 is how fast he was going. 15 is the limit.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: hanoverphist
Originally posted by: Jeraden
lol, its easy for everyone to say don't speed through school zones, until you actually drive through a school zone and see how ridiculously slow 15MPH is. I drive through one every single day in the morning and constantly have to remember to slow down to 15, as the normal speed limit is 25, and even that seems slow.

i drive thru 3 a day just on the way to drop my kids off at school and go to work. 15 is deadening slow, but running over a kid because you couldnt stop in time is not an alternative i really want to deal with either.

True. In fact, you should be driving 10 mph. Better safe than sorry, right?

Excelsior

Lifer
May 30, 2002
Originally posted by: xeemzor

I'm surprised they didn't lock you up and take away your license. The judge is liable to throw the book at you. Better get an attorney if you hope to keep your license.

Oh yes, quite the speed demon there:roll:

To the OP, the speed limit means nothing without a valid and recent traffic engineering suvery.

My father actually got out of a ticket ones (albeit he wasn't speeding in a school zone) by proving that the posted speed limit was screwed up. I forgot exactly how he did it, but it worked beautifully. He didn't use an attorney either.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: CasioTech
I'm from Fl. Do we have Deferred Adjudication?

You know, no tickets I've ever gotten in Florida have ever transferred to my insurance when I was from out-of-state. Likewise, no tickets I've gotten from other states ever transferred to my Florida insurance (now that I'm a resident). Florida may be one of those few states that does not cooperate with out-of-state insurances, or whatever.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Zolty
you are 22 years old, be a man and stand up for your poor decisions. You messed up, You got caught, You pay the fine. Unless you can prove that there were no signs in the area, or your speado is off you have no case.

oh right, like you would be a man and pay such a hefty fine... hahah right.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Just admit your mistake, pay your ticket, and quit trying to slime your way out of it. School zone speed limits are something to be taken very seriously. Now, maybe you will be more careful.

I spoke to a lawyer and they say that ppl get away with this all the time. Quit being jealous; you probably don't even have a car.

Compton

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2000
How heavy was it raining at the time? I didn't think police radar worked very well in the rain.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Zolty
you are 22 years old, be a man and stand up for your poor decisions. You messed up, You got caught, You pay the fine. Unless you can prove that there were no signs in the area, or your speado is off you have no case.

oh right, like you would be a man and pay such a hefty fine... hahah right.

:roll:

Just take traffic school and be done with it. (It should actually lower your insurance rates too)

And stop speeding in school zones...

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Krazy4Real
Wow, I've never seen a school speed limit that low. Everywhere around here it's 25. I thought the cop gave you ticket for going 3 over, which would be crazy. If it really was only 15 and it's your first offense, just go to traffic school or get court supervision.
I guess it depends on the area. In PA, I've always seen 15mph as the limit for school zones. Someone could run through and potentially exceed that speed limit. I've never seen anyone do 15mph in a school zone, and that includes police cars.

28mph though, that's pushing it. 20-25mph is what I usually see, though I guess technically, that could amount to a cop's full monthy quota in tickets.

It depends on the school, too. There was a 15mph limit at my high school, and the road is at least 100 feet away from the front of the building, maybe 200ft. All that's in front of the building is a lawn and a parking lot. All the playing fields are on the other side, away from the road, so it's not like there'd be anyone running out into the road to retrieve a wayward ball. Plus, most high schoolers are fairly aware of the fact that cars can be somewhat hazardous to pedestrians.

Now, if it's like my elementary school, with less than 100 feet between the main road and the playground, then the 15mph speed limit seems more reasonable.

Fayd

Diamond Member
Jun 28, 2001
www.manwhoring.com
15 mph? what kind of ****** up state is that?

here, it's 25 mph (when children are present), and generally 45 if not. i drive thru at 50... the times i drive, children are never present.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Compton
How heavy was it raining at the time? I didn't think police radar worked very well in the rain.

not great, but I was trying to beat the rain to my ortho... I have a good excuse... I would say that the dashboard time was an hour ahead since it wasn't my car I was driving. It's viable, since a lot of ppl don't know how to change the time on their car, or don't care too. They figure it will be right in 6 months... I have tried this idea on a few ppl alll saying go for it...

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003

not great, but I was trying to beat the rain to my ortho... I have a good excuse... I would say that the dashboard time was an hour ahead since it wasn't my car I was driving. It's viable, since a lot of ppl don't know how to change the time on their car, or don't care too. They figure it will be right in 6 months... I have tried this idea on a few ppl alll saying go for it...

Every post you make shows more of your true nature.

You are willing to lie in court rather than man up and pay a fine or take a short course on the web?

Perjury FTL.

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
So you were speeding in a school zone in weather where you should have slowed down anyway? Somehow I doubt they will sympathize much with you if you try to fight it.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: mundane
Originally posted by: rivan
A judge won't give a flying poop why you were speeding. You'll be saying blah, blah, toothache and he'll be thinking "you should have left 5 minutes earlier, then."

I imagine if the excuse were "I had to get to my dealer's house before he left for his probation hearing", the judge would care =)

I was trying to beat the rain and i'm not from that area... Are those things the judge would be interested in?

The judge will probably verbally abuse you for speed in a school zone.

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Dude, it's a speeding ticket, not a DUI. Go to court wearing a suit, but don't bother with a lawyer. They'll likely cut you some slack on the fine just for showing up. Just pay up and move on.

And don't try to think of any more excuses for the judge. He's heard better stories, and he doesn't give a sh*t.

BigToque

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'm surprised that the speed limit is so slow...

Where I live, the posted speed limit in all residential areas (including scool zones) is 50 KPH (which is 31 MPH).

15 MPH is so freaking slow! That would drive me insane.

Sphexi

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2005
Tell the judge he looks like an older Tom Welling, that'll win him over!

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: MrPickins

Every post you make shows more of your true nature.

You are willing to lie in court rather than man up and pay a fine or take a short course on the web?

Perjury FTL.

Hippocrate Anyone?

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Sphexi
Tell the judge he looks like an older Tom Welling, that'll win him over!

Thanks, I throw that one in there! Or maybe he would notice my resemblence.