Speeding ticket.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Has anyone had a ticket like this one? It is my first ticket. Should I take it to court and represent myself or should I hire an attorney. What should I plead. It just so happens that it was raining pretty bad and I was in a hurry to get to my Ortho because of a tooth ache. Does that matter? Any advice?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
the limit is what 20mph? so yeah 8 mph is over. go to court and ask for supervision.

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Attorney. They'll get it reduced to a non-moving violation with a hefty fine. It'll end up worth it to keep your insurance rates unchanged.

A judge won't give a flying poop why you were speeding. You'll be saying blah, blah, toothache and he'll be thinking "you should have left 5 minutes earlier, then."

jdini76

Platinum Member
Mar 16, 2001
Don't hire an attorney yet. Go to court and talk with the prosecutor. If they don't plea bargin with you, and you want to fight the ticket then get a lawyer. Most cases the prosecutor will work with you especialy if you have a clean record.

Nyati13

Jan 2, 2003
Originally posted by: CasioTech
Has anyone had a ticket like this one? It is my first ticket. Should I take it to court and represent myself or should I hire an attorney. What should I plead. It just so happens that it was raining pretty bad and I was in a hurry to get to my Ortho because of a tooth ache. Does that matter? Any advice?

The reason doesn't matter. There is no valid excuse to be speeding in a school zone.

Since it's your first ticket, what you do is find out how you can file for "Deferred Adjudication" in your state/county. Then follow that process, which will include paying the full speeding fine as a "processing fee". This will prevent the ticket from ever showing up on your record, and your insurance agency won't even know it existed. Also, any attempt to dispute or delay judgement will make it impossible to be approved for Adjudication.

Then, don't get caught speeding again for at least one full year, because you can't adjudicate more than once every 12 months

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005
you dont need to waste money on a lawer for a speeding ticket, just pay it and be done with it

mundane

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2002
Originally posted by: rivan
A judge won't give a flying poop why you were speeding. You'll be saying blah, blah, toothache and he'll be thinking "you should have left 5 minutes earlier, then."

I imagine if the excuse were "I had to get to my dealer's house before he left for his probation hearing", the judge would care =)

Crucial

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Speeding in a school zone while it's raining. Sounds like a good idea. Pay your fine and chalk it up to a life lesson.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Dont' people get away with these things all the time. An attorney told me that it's $70 and court costs and I would get no points. Is that a good deal?

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: waggy
the limit is what 20mph? so yeah 8 mph is over. go to court and ask for supervision.

it was 15. My fine is $279

damn. you were going nearly twice the posted limit? fvck.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: mundane
Originally posted by: rivan

I imagine if the excuse were "I had to get to my dealer's house before he left for his probation hearing", the judge would care =)

I was trying to beat the rain and i'm not from that area... Are those things the judge would be interested in?

jagec

Lifer
Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: j00fek
you dont need to waste money on a lawer for a speeding ticket, just pay it and be done with it

Sure, if you want insurance hikes. You may not need a lawyer, but just paying tickets is the worst advice EVER. At the very least you can bargain them down or take traffic school. Still, I guess they need suckers who pay the full amount to keep the state funded;)

Check the signs to see if you have a case. Is the limit always 20MPH? Or is it only "when children present"? Were children present?

Dump the raining and toothache excuse, they won't fly in court. If you don't have a case (in other words, you were going 28 in a valid 20MPH school zone), plead for clemency, and ask to go to traffic school, get a deferred finding, reduce it to non-moving, anything to keep it off your record.

I was trying to beat the rain and i'm not from that area... Are those things the judge would be interested in?

Not in the least. If you had a medical emergency, maybe. But you didn't.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

it was 15. My fine is $279

damn. you were going nearly twice the posted limit? fvck.

One way to look at it is 86% over the limit, but it's still 13 mph over. It's not good, but not that egregious IMO. It's not like he was going 50 in a school zone or something.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: jagec

Sure, if you want insurance hikes. You may not need a lawyer, but just paying tickets is the worst advice EVER. At the very least you can bargain them down or take traffic school. Still, I guess they need suckers who pay the full amount to keep the state funded;)

Check the signs to see if you have a case. Is the limit always 20MPH? Or is it only "when children present"? Were children present?

Dump the raining and toothache excuse, they won't fly in court. If you don't have a case (in other words, you were going 28 in a valid 20MPH school zone), plead for clemency, and ask to go to traffic school, get a deferred finding, reduce it to non-moving, anything to keep it off your record.

I have documentation from my ortho for that date? Could that be a medical emergency? Also, do I plead not guilty or no contest? There were no children. But it says school zone until 3:30. It was 3:10. I didn't see kids and it was a small school I don't know about.

Jan 31, 2002
Plead not guilty, fight the ticket the whole way. You're from out of town, they'll probably just let you off the hook with a slap on the wrist.

- M4H

Nyati13

Jan 2, 2003

I have documentation from my ortho for that date? Could that be a medical emergency? Also, do I plead not guilty or no contest? There were no children. But it says school zone until 3:30. It was 3:10. I didn't see kids and it was a small school I don't know about.

Don't offer any excuse, it will only make things worse. Do not plead "quilty", "not quilty", or "no contest" yet. Do not enter any plea or comment whatsoever until you find out if you can request Deferred Adjudication.

Krazy4Real

Lifer
Oct 3, 2003
Wow, I've never seen a school speed limit that low. Everywhere around here it's 25. I thought the cop gave you ticket for going 3 over, which would be crazy. If it really was only 15 and it's your first offense, just go to traffic school or get court supervision.

CasioTech

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Nyati13

Don't offer any excuse, it will only make things worse. Do not plead "quilty", "not quilty", or "no contest" yet. Do not enter any plea or comment whatsoever until you find out if you can request Deferred Adjudication.

I'm from Fl. Do we have Deferred Adjudication?

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
you are 22 years old, be a man and stand up for your poor decisions. You messed up, You got caught, You pay the fine. Unless you can prove that there were no signs in the area, or your speado is off you have no case.