Discussion Speculation: Zen 4 (EPYC 4 "Genoa", Ryzen 7000, etc.)

Page 139 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Except for the details about the improvements in the microarchitecture, we now know pretty well what to expect with Zen 3.

The leaked presentation by AMD Senior Manager Martin Hilgeman shows that EPYC 3 "Milan" will, as promised and expected, reuse the current platform (SP3), and the system architecture and packaging looks to be the same, with the same 9-die chiplet design and the same maximum core and thread-count (no SMT-4, contrary to rumour). The biggest change revealed so far is the enlargement of the compute complex from 4 cores to 8 cores, all sharing a larger L3 cache ("32+ MB", likely to double to 64 MB, I think).

Hilgeman's slides did also show that EPYC 4 "Genoa" is in the definition phase (or was at the time of the presentation in September, at least), and will come with a new platform (SP5), with new memory support (likely DDR5).

Untitled2.png

What else do you think we will see with Zen 4? PCI-Express 5 support? Increased core-count? 4-way SMT? New packaging (interposer, 2.5D, 3D)? Integrated memory on package (HBM)?

Vote in the poll and share your thoughts! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: richardllewis_01

DisEnchantment

Golden Member
Mar 3, 2017
AMD did slip after all, Zen 4 coming 2H22.
2Y for a midlife architecture update. That means 4Y for a grounds up architecture jump (vs the much advertised 3Y new arch cadence and 18 months product cadence)
4 Years is quite a long time, enough time for things to change drastically in the market. Lets see what they have to say on their "flawless roadmap execution", I hope someone from the media ask them that question

1641289299775.png

Jul 27, 2020
L4 cache must have a curse or something. i7-5775C availability was bad. Then none of the follow-up L4 cache Intel CPU's were desktop CPU's. And now AMD is gonna starve gamers with a low quantity single SKU. I'm not happy!

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
AMD did slip after all, Zen 4 coming 2H22.
2Y for a midlife architecture update. That means 4Y for a grounds up architecture jump (vs the much advertised 3Y new arch cadence and 18 months product cadence)
4 Years is quite a long time, enough time for things to change drastically in the market. Lets see what they have to say on their "flawless roadmap execution", I hope someone from the media ask them that question

View attachment 55419

Is it something new that zen4 is launched at 2H22? If anything I thought it was 4Q22 based on earlier rumors/roadmaps. And compared to Intels recent track record it is pretty flawless. Maybe the whole Corona situation have had some effect on the roadmaps?

And in any case the major problem for the enthusiast PC gaming industry is not the lack of good CPU's but the lack of video cards. So for me at least, what does it help that I can buy a 5800X3D when I'm still stuck with my GTX1070...

I hope that 2023 will be the year I can upgrade my aging computer and get a video card at a reasonable price :/

Joe NYC

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2021

Rumor suggests that AMD will make 16 core chiplets, 8 with L3 cache stacked running at a low TDP, and the rest at full power.

This makes sense if they can charge enough. Especially if these are actually two chiplets bridged together.

Interesting rumor / speculation / leak. On first sight, I can't say I love it. 8 useless cores on expensive N5 die, likely replacing 32 MB of L3 on the same die.

So the stacked design adds 32 MB of L3 and 8 useless cores at cost of base CPU having to use stacking.

If still only 1 layer of stacking is possible, it would be quite bad. It would mean losing 32 MB of L3 (vs. Zen 3) for the entire Zen 4 generation (for desktop).

Last edited:

LightningZ71

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2017
If they are making a 5800x3d, it stands to reason that there's no logistical or technical reason that they couldn't make a 5950x3d. If we suppose that the limitations are around AMD choosing to pretest the Zen3 die to verify that all 8 cores are suitable for use, then both of those SKUs would be appropriate. If we suppose that there is a slight power hit for the L3 stacked die, then it stands to reason that they could produce a 5950x3d that has a slightly reduced max boost turbo and still hit power targets. The only stopping point that I can see is that AMD believes that they can't command a high enough price to make it worth it. With it being the likely best CPU ever released for a platform that has millions of installed motherboards that can support it, I can't see that being the case either. I believe that there will be a 5950x3d at some point. It makes too much sense.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Joe NYC

MadRat

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Could you put mini-cores in pods with the L2 or L3 cache to bypass the larger cores? It would keep the lightest workload from tying up the expensive core. It would also allow the larger core to mitigate heat because it sticks to tasks it is most suited for, right? The simpler cores would spread their heat away from the larger core(s).

Jul 27, 2020
So AMD beat Intel in implementing the Pluton security features in Ryzen 6000 mobile series. Intel expected to follow suit with Raptor Lake in supporting this feature?

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Is it something new that zen4 is launched at 2H22? If anything I thought it was 4Q22 based on earlier rumors/roadmaps. And compared to Intels recent track record it is pretty flawless. Maybe the whole Corona situation have had some effect on the roadmaps?

And in any case the major problem for the enthusiast PC gaming industry is not the lack of good CPU's but the lack of video cards. So for me at least, what does it help that I can buy a 5800X3D when I'm still stuck with my GTX1070...

I hope that 2023 will be the year I can upgrade my aging computer and get a video card at a reasonable price :/

No, it was supposed to be H2 all along. It will launch at Computex and roll out a few weeks later. Also, unsure why the other poster is complaining. Zen 3 desktop launched in November of 2020, and Zen 4 is launching around 20 months after. Considering supply chain issues, a global pandemic, etc. I think they are doing just fine.

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005
Normally yes. If AMD is saying H2 2022 for Zen4 it doesn't mean "a few weeks after Computex". That would have been an H1 launch.

Give me a break.

H1 = Jan - June
H2 = Jul - Dec

Computex is the end of May, around 5 weeks before H2. AMD has launched Zen products around that time before.

Unless AMD has further Zen3D products scheduled, Zen 4 will likely launch some time in July or possibly early August.

They have Raptor Lake to compete against, so I seriously doubt they are going to wait long to release Zen 4 unless Zen3D actually kills it in mixed workloads across many segments (and they roll out the 5900X3D/5950X3D).

EDIT: Zen 3 was announced on October 8, 2020 and Launched in November 5th. Zen 2 was announced at computex and launched on 7/7, etc.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Mopetar