- Jul 28, 2019
Some people were expecting that Zen3 will be something new.What is Forrest hinting, an entirely new arch in Zen3? Was not expecting this, very interesting.
There was several hints like:
- chief architect eng is Mike T. Clark (who was leading Zen1 - there is no better person to lead big challenges of new uarch)
- AMD Zen2 optimization document revealing Zen2 is last 17h Family... suggesting Zen3 will be new Family number, new uarch
- Zen3 is coming way early after Zen2 .... suggesting parallel development rather than successor
- process node 7nm EUV which is way too complicated when compatible and easier and cheaper nodes like N7P or N6 are available (only completely new uarch makes sense from economy point of view, especially with easy direct path to 5nm EUV).
- Lisa Su mentioned after Zen2 launch that she doesn't leave AMD to IBM because the best will come in future.
- Lisa Su mentioned AMD is focusing on architecture development more than on process node.
- Apple A12/A13 Vortex CPU core with 6xALUs showed that there is huge potential for IPC gain going wider core
- first Zen3 leak on May from YT Moors Law Dead, suggesting Zen3 is SMT4, and Zen2 Treadripper about end 2019/early 2020 and maybe canceled in favor of Zen3 while AMD concentrating Zen2 chiplets for server EPYC.... a lot of haters verbally attacked this guy however his sources was right, TR2 will have 2020 availability rather than promised Oct. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised Zen3 will have SMT4 feature as his source was right.
- SPECint2006 hints some possibility of future IPC gain:
- Zen1 - 39.07 (4.1GHz? -> 9.53 pts/GHz)
- Zen2 - 49.02 (4.5GHz? -> 10.89) .... +14% over Zen1
- 9900K - 54.28 (5GHz -> 10.86)
- A10 - approx 28? (2.3GHz -> 12.17) ... +27% over Zen1
- A11 - 36.93 (2.4 GHz -> 15.38) ... +61% over Zen1 ... +26% over A10 (1st gen 6xALU CPU)
- A12 - 44.92 (2.5 GHz -> 17.98) ... +89% over Zen1 ... +48% over A10 (2nd gen 6xALU CPU) ... +17% over A11
Just haters are so blind they cannot read between the lines....
Funny how all haters are surprised or silent now