Speculation: Ryzen 4000 series/Zen 3

Page 198 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

.vodka

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2014
Leaks were hard to come by before the original Zen launched. All we had was AMD's %40 faster claim. Turns out they were sandbagging, and it was really %52.

I've been following launches for a while (>15 yrs). Zen's had lots of leaks and many, many battles were fought with people that screamed SANDY BRIDGE IPC!!!!11!

This, on the other hand, is unprecedented.

We only got a CPU-z bench of a 5900X.

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Aren't the leaks automatically stopping when reviewers have to sign the NDA?
Meaning many will already have a Zen3 CPU to test, since rumors say launch not much later after 8 October and obviously those that received 8 October info would also need to have signed an NDA.

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Depends on the product release. If the release is later, they would release those CPUs to reviewers at a later time prior to the purchase availability date.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
so seriously where are my damn leaks!!!!!

I have never seen this before for any cpu launch, all they way back to the K7 days.

I realize that we are just 48 hours away or less and still nothing concrete, I'm trying to forget about AMD to not get anxious but it's hard.
I just don't know what to expect, about the architecture and performance.

Thibsie

Apr 25, 2017
Meaning many will already have a Zen3 CPU to test, since rumors say launch not much later after 8 October and obviously those that received 8 October info would also need to have signed an NDA.

Breaking NDA is an old classic.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
I am still looking for a post in 2017. I ran into an AMD employee on a forum and I asked if Zen was the real deal. He said the plan was for Zen through Zen4. He said by Zen 2 they would leave Intel in the rear view mirror. Not quite because of the gaming advantage that Intel still has against Zen 2, but this was making predictions several years in advance. People forget that TSMC has given AMD a pretty significant leg up on Intel due to their execution of 7nm and silicon in general vs. gloflo silicon on the original Zen CPU's.

Anything beyond Zen 4 is new architecture. Zen 3 is all new architecture but still based on the Zen architecture. As has been pointed out things they intended to include in Zen will show up in Zen 3 and Zen 4.

Because they fixed the infinity fabric problem in Zen 3. Gaming is not tied to CPU clock speed but removing the memory latency problem that plagued all iterations of Zen cpu's prior.

For the first time probably since the original Playstation. The new gaming consoles are going to be really good. This is good because consumers will give the middle finger to Intel, AMD and Nvidia and buy consoles in protest of price gouging in the GPU market. This will probably spread to the CPU market which hasn't had the price gouging problems that the GPU market has since the cryptocurrency boom and bust.

I will probably sit out Zen 3 until Q2 of next year. I need a new GPU and it will either be Big Navi or the 3070.
I don't know about that, the PS2 and XBox generation was pretty great as well. The PS2 was more complicated and took awhile to really get games that maxed it out, but the XBox basically shipped with a full GeForce3 Ti500 that sold for $300+ along with a respectable CPU and all the other basic PC goodies, and it launched at $300.

Reactions: Tlh97
Apr 30, 2020
Makes me wonder if AMD was individually customizing clocks/CPU-ID/Model-Numbers for partners and testers to be able to identify them if they leaked?

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007

Ah yes, "5GHz on air". They sure played the people dumb enough to believe that.

Also, I think AMD themselves released a Blender benchmark in later in 2016. So there was some idea of how good it would be.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
Makes me wonder if AMD was individually customizing clocks/CPU-ID/Model-Numbers for partners and testers to be able to identify them if they leaked?
Exactly. There are enough identifiable pieces of data that they could probably swiftly ensure the demise of the person who leaked it.

I just realized I'll probably be on a plane when the announcement is made...

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
I've been following launches for a while (>15 yrs). Zen's had lots of leaks and many, many battles were fought with people that screamed SANDY BRIDGE IPC!!!!11!

This, on the other hand, is unprecedented.

We only got a CPU-z bench of a 5900X.

By the way, AMD promised no numbers and they could lie, but anyone dares to think that everything went better than expected again (with all these changes to the caches)? With the actual chip surpassing AMD initial expectations of performance?
Could the lightning strike again?

Kedas

Dec 6, 2018
Lisa Su Tomorrow:

"We are exited to share our latest CPU with you.
It's called the 5000 series.
We share the L3 cache over 8 cores now instead of 4.
We are using 7nm and it will be a drop in replacement on your current AM4 motherboard.
The boost clocks are a little higher now, see here the cinebench numbers.
Thank you for coming we will give more details when we get closer to the launch, bye!

Just kidding!

We are also rysing the price since intel can't keep up.

Bye"

Last edited:

eek2121

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2005

I am willing to bet that no reviewers will have access to the chips until the announcement After the announcement, it is at the reviewers peril if they break NDA. RDNA2 will be like this as well.

It is possible. However, it is also possible that AMD is working closely enough with partners that they don’t need to send out the chips prior. If they are sending out the chips, it is probably with the strictest NDA we have ever seen.

In an ideal world AMD would ship the CPU specific code to board partners and they would plug it in and go.

teejee

Jul 4, 2013
I am willing to bet that no reviewers will have access to the chips until the announcement After the announcement, it is at the reviewers peril if they break NDA. RDNA2 will be like this as well.

It is possible. However, it is also possible that AMD is working closely enough with partners that they don’t need to send out the chips prior. If they are sending out the chips, it is probably with the strictest NDA we have ever seen.

In an ideal world AMD would ship the CPU specific code to board partners and they would plug it in and go.

Could be as simple as AMD is sending a test engineer to each of the partners and he keeps track of the engineering samples all the time.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2004
Could be as simple as AMD is sending a test engineer to each of the partners and he keeps track of the engineering samples all the time.

I highly doubt that, especially these days. Honestly, I could see them sending them out in locked boxes that have special locking mechanisms either using cellular modems or calibrated clocks and won't unlock til a specific time or signal.

amrnuke

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2019
I highly doubt that, especially these days. Honestly, I could see them sending them out in locked boxes that have special locking mechanisms either using cellular modems or calibrated clocks and won't unlock til a specific time or signal.
So the process would be:
When NDA ends, it unlocks and reviewers can finally open the box, install chip, set up the system anew with Windows, update drivers, run all their benchmarks, many of which take hours... once all that's done then they post the review on Friday or Saturday. No blanking period for technical difficulties on the innumerable mobo-RAM-SSD-GPU combos reviewers are using.

Or:
AMD gave them the chips weeks ago, and have told them that they are tracing each chip and are going to viciously pursue legal action against anyone who violates the NDA. You may not run any publicly reported benchmarks until the NDA ends; that list includes but is not limited to x, y, z. Set up the system, run your benchmarks, get it as perfect as you can over the next couple of weeks. If you have any issues here's our direct number for rapid 24/7 support. Thank you.

Reactions: Nereus77

french toast

Feb 22, 2017
I can't say I have seen anything like this before.. I mean no leaks, nothing.
We have had one engineering sample result that could be fake, we have had 'leaks' about naming scheme and rough IPC.. These could easily be logical guesses.

It is very eerie right now, very strange, can't work out whether this is good or bad.
Oh the Intel Rocketlake announcement 1 day before Zen3 reveal is pretty embarrassing really...it is not being launched for at LEAST 3 months - by their own admission! Probably 5-6 months if we are honest, what planet are they on?

Nereus77

Dec 30, 2016
Its AMDmas Eve alright. We have no idea what we are gonna get. Just rumors and whisperings that it should be pretty decent.... Tomorrow will be good!

(If this how we are, imagine what must be happening at Camp Intel)

Reactions: french toast