Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 118 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
if AMD releases 16C AM4 ryzen it will destroy the TR ecosystem and pretty much give a signal that previous HEDT is obsolete
they should give 16C desktop more time, 12C is enough

It probably means that anyone with a 19xx or anything lower than a 2950 could upgrade, but a 2990WX should still perform better for the high thread count tasks people bought it for in the first place.

I can see the argument for not releasing 16C chips immediately, but it's not because they want to preserve the TR ecosystem. I think people have become accustomed to the lack of real progression while AMD had nothing competitive and Intel just rehashed year after year. This just means that what constitutes HEDT from AMD is changing more rapidly. It may be that the next generation TR chips start at 32C (or maybe 24C) and only go up from there.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Is there a poll or dataset of what HEDTs are used for?
Well, not counting any professional uses , our DC team has over 30 active people, and every one drools at the thought of more cores. My over 400 threads on 18 machines is dwarfed by some of our people, My sons workplace (drafting firm) has a minimum of 8 cores on their machines. I bet they would love 16 cores at a decent price.

I could go on, but....

Reactions: Drazick

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
Regarding HEDT, I suspect there is a good chance that Ryzen Threadripper is replaced by EPYC. With HEDT squeezed between an increasingly powerful AM4 mainstream platform and a competitive first and soon second generation EPYC workstation platform, AMD might not see further investment in Ryzen Threadripper as cost-effective. Perhaps they'll use the Threadripper branding for EPYC workstations.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
I think there's still sufficient room for all three product lines being separate. This is what it currently looks like:
Code:
                    Ryzen       TR          Epyc
Cores               <= 8        <= 32       <= 32
PCIe lanes          24          64          128
Memory channels     2           4           8
TDP                 <= 105W     <= 250W     <= 180W
Overclockable?      unlocked    unlocked    locked
I don't see the issue in doubling the numbers of cores in all three cases. HEDT users that only relied on a (now lowish) amount of cores can drop to AM4, but that will come with less PCIe lanes, less memory channels and less TDP headroom as standard. Likewise Epyc targets a different market than TR, with the former optimized for efficiency with locked specs and the latter being the crèam de la crèam for overclocking usage binning wise.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I think there's still sufficient room for all three product lines being separate. This is what it currently looks like:
Code:
                    Ryzen       TR          Epyc
Cores               <= 8        <= 32       <= 32
PCIe lanes          24          64          128
Memory channels     2           4           8
TDP                 <= 105W     <= 250W     <= 180W
Overclockable?      unlocked    unlocked    locked
I don't see the issue in doubling the numbers of cores in all three cases. HEDT users that only relied on a (now lowish) amount of cores can drop to AM4, but that will come with less PCIe lanes, less memory channels and less TDP headroom as standard. Likewise Epyc targets a different market than TR, with the former optimized for efficiency with locked specs and the latter being the crèam de la crèam for overclocking usage binning wise.

Yes, this, so much this. Thank you!

For everyone complaining about a TR system but would never buy one and doesn't own one, watch this.

( Affordable, high bandwidth, high IO ) HEDT is a HUGE market that is completely different than what a desktop or server system targets.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Yes, this, so much this. Thank you!

For everyone complaining about a TR system but would never buy one and doesn't own one, watch this.

( Affordable, high bandwidth, high IO ) HEDT is a HUGE market that is completely different than what a desktop or server system targets.
For those of us that are deaf, and there is no CC available on that video, can you briefly summarize for me ?

Reactions: Drazick

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
For those of us that are deaf, and there is no CC available on that video, can you briefly summarize for me ?

AMD is highlighting how TR at the company that makes Cortex. working with IMF files, rendering 6k and 8k video, out running their dual Xeon systems, 3-4 fps to 24 fps, realtime IMF work, no TR specs specified that they used though. And saying how you didn't need a complicated expensive setup to do it.

http://www.mtifilm.com/cortex-hardware

CORTEX Hardware Recommendations
For Cortex Enterprise:
  • Windows 7 or Windows 10 x64 (PC only)
  • 64 GB RAM (minimum)
  • Intel Xeon CPU
  • 2 x 6-core Intel 3.3 GHz
    Or
    AMD Threadripper 2, either 16 or 32 core CPU
    recommended for best rendering and playback performance
  • 2 x GeForce GTX 2080 Ti or GTX 1080 Ti (minimum 8GB memory)
  • Video Cards: Kona 4, Kona 5, Decklink series
For Cortex DIT, DIT+, and Dailies Editions:
  • Windows 7 or Windows 10 x64 (PC or Mac running bootcamp)
  • 32 GB RAM (minimum)
  • Intel Xeon CPU
  • 2 x 6--core Intel 3.3 GHz
    Or
  • 1 x GeForce GTX 2080 Ti or GTX 1080 Ti (minimum 8GB memory)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Maybe we will finally be able to use ddr3200 in all four memory slots and be able to run them at their rated speed without much hassle.

Ryzen 3000 certified for faster memory

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ryzen-3000-zen-2-cpus-get-jedec-3200-mhz-specification.html

I would hope so.

I've been able to use DDR4-3200 CL14 since launch with Samsung B-die memory in a 4x8GB single rank stick configuration. AGESA 1.0.0.4 improved this to allowing for DDR4-3333+ CL14 with tightened timings. All on a X370 motherboard (Gigabyte K7) with 1st gen Ryzen.

If they can't do that on the 3000 series (highly unlikely) then it would be a serious regression.

Reactions: Elfear

Markfw

May 16, 2002
AMD is highlighting how TR at the company that makes Cortex. working with IMF files, rendering 6k and 8k video, out running their dual Xeon systems, 3-4 fps to 24 fps, realtime IMF work, no TR specs specified that they used though. And saying how you didn't need a complicated expensive setup to do it.

http://www.mtifilm.com/cortex-hardware

CORTEX Hardware Recommendations
For Cortex Enterprise:
  • Windows 7 or Windows 10 x64 (PC only)
  • 64 GB RAM (minimum)
  • Intel Xeon CPU
  • 2 x 6-core Intel 3.3 GHz
    Or
  • 2 x GeForce GTX 2080 Ti or GTX 1080 Ti (minimum 8GB memory)
For Cortex DIT, DIT+, and Dailies Editions:
  • Windows 7 or Windows 10 x64 (PC or Mac running bootcamp)
  • 32 GB RAM (minimum)
  • Intel Xeon CPU
  • 2 x 6--core Intel 3.3 GHz
    Or
  • 1 x GeForce GTX 2080 Ti or GTX 1080 Ti (minimum 8GB memory)
Thank you very much. I really am deaf. It happened before my cancer surgery, and was most likely caused by the cancer drugs they used to try and kill the cancer.(that didn't work) So I have been deaf for about 6 months now. Just thought I would let you know that I really was serious.

Zerm

May 24, 2019
Threadripper has its place as does AM4.
To be frank, if you need to ask who really needs that many cores, then you simply aren't in the know for who does and can't form accurate statements about the market or requirements. I and a number of others use Threadripper for AI related work. To me, it's a budget and unique data center platform. I don't run threadrippers at scale, I'd use EPYC for that and am Eyeing Rome to consolidate. The big discriminator, for me, is PCIE slots. I'll highlight this quickly. If I decide to do a distributed computing config, I will need a high powered nic and I also need a GPU. AM4's PCIE slots are fully consumed in this configuration and is a dead node for further scaling. If I go with threadripper, I can put a NIC/GPU and still have two PCIE slots to scale. Then you get into things like memory bandwidth/channels. AM4 simply has no ability to satisfy my needs because it lacks PCIE slots and memory channels. This is the discriminator and a well played one by AMD. If I go to EPYC, it doubles memory channels/bandwidth and PCIE slots again. Instead of playing idiotic games like Intel, AMD carved out a new market and constantly pushes the envelope. They conducted excellent scaling of features inline with the core count. With the new processors being announced Monday, I am going to do one of two things... Upgrade my X370 8 cores to 16 core (if this is possible.. may someone answer if they are updating bios to support this) and keep my thread ripper or I'm selling both of my X370 nodes and buying a single threadripper (on sale). As for who'd need 16 core Ryzen, that's not the point. AMD is pushing the core count and doubling it for the people who might.. I repeat : They are pushing the envelope for the future. This is unlike intel. People will find uses for it if they don't already exist. This is true innovation. Threadripper literally opened up possibilities I never even considered as did 8 core ryzen. I am excited about Monday but Ryzen as a platform simply doesn't have enough PCIE slots or memory bandwidth for my needs. It may for others and serve to be the perfect rounding out of the platform. I'd never go from threadripper down to the new Ryzen. I might upgrade my existing Ryzen nodes. All depends on what's detailed and the price.

TL;DR : Ryzen is a dead platform for distributed computing. Threadripper is a true Workstation platform that has the ability to provide local I/O scaling + be tied to a distributed node. That's the discriminator. When you begin doing professional and even more serious loads, you simply go to EPYC. Meanwhile, AMD has made you feel comfortable in their family of products from the desktop all the way out. It's like the innovative automotives who sell are able to sell you an amazing and affordable first car but also manuf. a super car to sell to you down the road. K.I.S.S and innovate.

Last edited:

scannall

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2012
Regarding HEDT, I suspect there is a good chance that Ryzen Threadripper is replaced by EPYC. With HEDT squeezed between an increasingly powerful AM4 mainstream platform and a competitive first and soon second generation EPYC workstation platform, AMD might not see further investment in Ryzen Threadripper as cost-effective. Perhaps they'll use the Threadripper branding for EPYC workstations.
I think you may be right. Coming up with a 3rd IO die for TR when you can push some rebranded Epyc's may be the way to go.

Zerm

May 24, 2019

I think you may be right. Coming up with a 3rd IO die for TR when you can push some rebranded Epyc's may be the way to go.

Epyc is not threadripper. Threadripper is already a rebranded cut down epyc with higher clocks. You can't just drop an EPYC into a threadripper board. Eypc has way lower clocks due to its features. You'd kill the whole reason why people go to threadripper in the first place. If you want EPYC, you simply buy it.

Also, i hope the industry figures out a new form factor and LAYOUT for motherboards because ATX nor E-ATX are going to cut it for 128 PCIE lanes, 16 dimm slots, nvme slots, and adequate cooling. There simply isn't enough room. I really wish some innovation occurred here because, as it stands, Threadripper motherboards are already packed to the brim with an already annoyingly limited amount of space. It really gets tiring having to shove cards within a hairline of each other and rack your brain about cooling because an archaic motherboard standard hasn't been updated to modern times. This goes for computer cases as well. In the era of double slot GPUs drawing 200 watts, current motherboards are idiotically laid out..
Threadripper :
13-157-785-V05.jpg

Epyc :
angle.jpg

Epyc is Epyc. Threadripper is threadripper. The Dimm Slots/PCIE lanes are the driver not the core count. You'll note, no modern GPU can be placed on that eypc board.. they'd slam into the dimm slots. You can't relabel EPYC as threadripper as they're two entirely different platforms. Threadripper is cut down EPYC w/ higher clocks resultant from what's cut out and mainstream board layout for regular length PCIE cards and cooling. Threadripper will get the I/O die treatment down the road. I just don't think I can wait until that happens and am not in need of higher core counts. I need higher throughput via I/O.

Last edited:

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thank you very much. I really am deaf. It happened before my cancer surgery, and was most likely caused by the cancer drugs they used to try and kill the cancer.(that didn't work) So I have been deaf for about 6 months now. Just thought I would let you know that I really was serious.

Thats to bad mark, i for one never thought you were not serious. I went deaf in one ear a few years back(conductive hearing loss) but couldn't imagine loosing all my hearing completely. You must have a great outlook on life to be dealing with it as well as you appear to be. Thumbs up bud!

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I would hope so.

I've been able to use DDR4-3200 CL14 since launch with Samsung B-die memory in a 4x8GB single rank stick configuration. AGESA 1.0.0.4 improved this to allowing for DDR4-3333+ CL14 with tightened timings. All on a X370 motherboard (Gigabyte K7) with 1st gen Ryzen.

If they can't do that on the 3000 series (highly unlikely) then it would be a serious regression.

I think it's more for OEM standardization more than anything else. Asking regular people to hunt down B die is not realistic generally for a number if obvious reasons, not the least of which is Samsung ending production of it.

But fixing it up so it runs basically whatever common Ram at 3200 same as Intel is a big win and step forward, especially with 4 dimms. My first 1700X experience was terrible going through various brands, speeds, bios versions, etc trying to figure out how to get even 3000mhz at 32GB (4x8GB). Finally gave out and bought a 2x16GB kit that worked and is in my 2700X now.

I know my 8086k isn't officially validated for 4000, but that's what I'm running there, and 4333 works as well. CL15 on the 4000, but the 4333 kit wouldn't go under 17, so I found it not worth it. I was building someone a delid 9900k with DH15U, and it ended up @ 5.2/4200 CL16 for best results.

I think Zen2 will have similar ceilings for great memory potential, undocumented or not, but at least also plug and play with run of the mill 3200 for Dell/HP/etc to make better off the shelf stuff.

Zerm

May 24, 2019
I think it's more for OEM standardization more than anything else. Asking regular people to hunt down B die is not realistic generally for a number if obvious reasons, not the least of which is Samsung ending production of it.

But fixing it up so it runs basically whatever common Ram at 3200 same as Intel is a big win and step forward, especially with 4 dimms.
I've been watching closely how this is unfolding. It is understood that the memory controller is simply better in 2nd gen and definitely in the to be announced 3rd gen AMD processors. However, the memory companies are using this as way to make higher profits and shut down a quality product. B-die was everywhere some years back and easy to identify. It's a high quality/binned stick of ram that was quite versatile and likely more expensive to manuf. If you look at the hot garbage they're putting out now and the ridiculous timings, it's enough to make your head spin. Some time ago it was 14ns across the board +/32/34 or 16ns and +Xx/XX. Now you have ridiculous garbage like 19-20-18-20-40 and all sorts of random bins. This is literally ram manufacturers throwing whatever hot garbage comes off the assembly line into a retail box. They're not even binning anymore. I have a good amount of b-die and I'm sure it will hold its own weight going into 3rd gen Ryzen. I wouldn't be surprised if the price doesn't sky rocket after they become unavailable because what is being put out now is hot garbage. The most hilarious aspect has been companies like G-skill continuing to use their premium b-die brand packaging on these garbage tier timings such that consumers are unable to descriminate unless they know about timings. Get your Rooohhyaall coating dumpster tier timing sticks for the low price of $200 :
maxresdefault.jpg

This is a tragedy and despicable but typical of the Ram companies that have been milking their customers.

My first 1700X experience was terrible going through various brands, speeds, bios versions, etc trying to figure out how to get even 3000mhz at 32GB (4x8GB). Finally gave out and bought a 2x16GB kit that worked and is in my 2700X now.
Memory controller.. has nothing to do w/ the RAM. B-Die will kick the pants off garbage binned timing sticks on 1st gen/2nd gen/ and 3rd gen.

I know my 8086k isn't officially validated for 4000, but that's what I'm running there, and 4333 works as well. CL15 on the 4000, but the 4333 kit wouldn't go under 17, so I found it not worth it. I was building someone a delid 9900k with DH15U, and it ended up @ 5.2/4200 CL16 for best results.
Post the voltage you're running through those sticks and the sub timings. Also post what the original stick is that you're using. CL15 on 4000? LOL, at what voltage and subtimings? Were talking stock JDEC not a week long OC trial and error experiment that roast your VRMs. Also, to restate .. you can only achieve that on high quality/highly binned sticks. You're not going to be able to do that on 19-20-18-30-64 rando bin sticks... and the performance at such timings revert right back to 3200 CL 14-14-14-14-3x or 3600 16-16-16-16-xx which was the whole point of high quality B-die.

I think Zen2 will have similar ceilings for great memory potential, undocumented or not, but at least also plug and play with run of the mill 3200 for Dell/HP/etc to make better off the shelf stuff.
Spending a month stabilizing ridiculous out of spec clocks complete w/ insane VRM melting voltages has already been debunked. You end up right back around B-die level 3200CL14 or 3600CL16 performance. The pro/con of AMD, as its currently configured is that the Ram performance flows directly through the CPU architecture via infinity fabric. Once that's decoupled, i'm sure you can run bob's budget 19-20-18-30-64 ram. However, the performance will never be comparable to lower subtiming and higher quality binned ram.

If they were being true to quality, they would have announced what product will replace the high quality b-die they are phasing out. They haven't. So, it's clearly a higher margin money grab where they're going to throw any hot garbage they can at the CPUs now that the ram clocks/timings are decoupled from the core cpu architecture... much unlike wonderful intel.

Last edited:

mattiasnyc

Mar 30, 2017
For TR 32/48C will still make sense, FI a 32C at 250W@4GHz has not only 100% better perf than the alleged AM4 16C but has also somewhat better perf/watt at the plateform level.

A 24C is unlikely because it require 4 chiplets, unless yields are such that they have a massive inventory of dies with only 6/7C being functional.

I meant that in the "near" future Intel will add more to the market and if TR can no longer compete with Zen or Zen+ then it's a tough choice to buy into x399 if there's no prospect of a 32core better performing Zen2 TR coming.

Feb 4, 2009
I've been watching closely how this is unfolding. It is understood that the memory controller is simply better in 2nd gen and definitely in the to be announced 3rd gen AMD processors. However, the memory companies are using this as way to make higher profits and shut down a quality product. B-die was everywhere some years back and easy to identify. It's a high quality/binned stick of ram that was quite versatile and likely more expensive to manuf. If you look at the hot garbage they're putting out now and the ridiculous timings, it's enough to make your head spin. Some time ago it was 14ns across the board +/32/34 or 16ns and +Xx/XX. Now you have ridiculous garbage like 19-20-18-20-40 and all sorts of random bins. This is literally ram manufacturers throwing whatever hot garbage comes off the assembly line into a retail box. They're not even binning anymore. I have a good amount of b-die and I'm sure it will hold its own weight going into 3rd gen Ryzen. I wouldn't be surprised if the price doesn't sky rocket after they become unavailable because what is being put out now is hot garbage. The most hilarious aspect has been companies like G-skill continuing to use their premium b-die brand packaging on these garbage tier timings such that consumers are unable to descriminate unless they know about timings. Get your Rooohhyaall coating dumpster tier timing sticks for the low price of $200 :
maxresdefault.jpg

This is a tragedy and despicable but typical of the Ram companies that have been milking their customers.

Memory controller.. has nothing to do w/ the RAM. B-Die will kick the pants off garbage binned timing sticks on 1st gen/2nd gen/ and 3rd gen.

Post the voltage you're running through those sticks and the sub timings. Also post what the original stick is that you're using. CL15 on 4000? LOL, at what voltage and subtimings? Were talking stock JDEC not a week long OC trial and error experiment that roast your VRMs. Also, to restate .. you can only achieve that on high quality/highly binned sticks. You're not going to be able to do that on 19-20-18-30-64 rando bin sticks... and the performance at such timings revert right back to 3200 CL 14-14-14-14-3x or 3600 16-16-16-16-xx which was the whole point of high quality B-die.

Spending a month stabilizing ridiculous out of spec clocks complete w/ insane VRM melting voltages has already been debunked. You end up right back around B-die level 3200CL14 or 3600CL16 performance. The pro/con of AMD, as its currently configured is that the Ram performance flows directly through the CPU architecture via infinity fabric. Once that's decoupled, i'm sure you can run bob's budget 19-20-18-30-64 ram. However, the performance will never be comparable to lower subtiming and higher quality binned ram.

If they were being true to quality, they would have announced what product will replace the high quality b-die they are phasing out. They haven't. So, it's clearly a higher margin money grab where they're going to throw any hot garbage they can at the CPUs now that the ram clocks/timings are decoupled from the core cpu architecture... much unlike wonderful intel.

I’ll agree you are spot on about memory vendors being cheap & trying to obscure but seems like time and time again it’s shown the more memory Is better than less lower latency memory. I’m not sure if that is true with Ryzen but I suspect it is.
Currently on 2x16GB sticks there’s is effectively a $80-$100 Samsung B die tax on any B die sticks.

Currently on Newegg 32GB 3200 cheapest ram is $150
Cheapest 3200 b die is cas 14 assumed b die is $270

Reactions: killster1

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
maxresdefault.jpg

HyperX Predator DDR4 4000, runs 15-15-15-32 @ 1.35v and has 24/7 since December. Aorus Gaming 7 x370 with 8086k, can't be happier.

The 4333 kit was not nearly as happy.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Epyc is not threadripper. Threadripper is already a rebranded cut down epyc with higher clocks. You can't just drop an EPYC into a threadripper board.

IIRC, the physical socket is identical. The only difference is that TR4 boards have less wiring. Especially now with the IO die, you should expect workstation focused Epyc this time, with 32 cores and a relatively high frequency but it'll be $$$$.