Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 107 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Intro for the video by Buildzoid says that X570 looks to require active cooling for some operation conditions. He says it has to do with the possible storage solutions for M.2 configurations. If thats the case, then we will need to see. I would not plan running more than 1 M.2 drive anyway.

Reactions: lightmanek

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Surely it could be effectively cooled with a very robust heatsink and solid case cooling, right? seems to me if you have a front-mounted radiator and proper rear exhaust, there should be enough cool air passing through and over the chipset? Or just top-mount the radiator to isolate CPU/GPU heat, and slap 2 very large case fans on the front?

a big heat sink could get in the way of dGPUS, thats probably why they choose to go low profile+fan. Is also prossible that it is just cheaper to go with a small heat sink+fan.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
Slightly off this on a tangent.....that Reddit look link shows an image of the 12c ES, purportedly. What strikes me as odd is that it doesn't have the same layout as the single chiplet CPU that Lisa Su held up at CES; here chilets are either side of the IO die, but at CES the chiplet was to the right and with a space for a second beneath it. Not only that, the dimensions seem to be different.
Am I missing something here?
You are not alone - I noticed the same thing thing and was WTF?

Mockingbird

Feb 12, 2017
Colorful CVN X570 Gaming Pro

aHR0cHM6Ly9ob3RoYXJkd2FyZS5jb20vQ29udGVudEltYWdlcy9OZXdzSXRlbS80ODEwNy9jb250ZW50L2JpZ19jdm4teDU3MF9nYW1pbmdfcHJvLmpwZw

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Just wondering your opinions, I understand the fan is another thing that could fail and another thing that generates noise but isn’t more cooling what’s needed on the x470’s?
Small fans are especially noisy, more prone to failure, and more difficult to replace due to proprietary design. I don't want any of that. That's why I prefer to buy fanless/semi-fanless power supplies, the less moving parts the better. Even if x570 is rumored to consume 15W, there is no reason it couldn't be cooled by a bigger passive heatsink. Current X470 chipset heatsinks are just hunks of metal, make it bigger while making sure it doesn''t interfere with videocard, put some actual cooling fins on it and I see no reason it couldn't cool X570. If active cooling was required they wouldn't let user turn the fan off in BIOS. Just get a proper chipset heatsink and be done with it.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
I personally must say, if x570 has a fan it is a showstopper

I really hope AMD doesn't redacted up their nice looking ryzen 3x CPUs with this

Profanity, even in abbreviated form,
is not allowed in the tech areas.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:

lixlax

Nov 6, 2014
If they make the fan rotate only when the PCI4 portion is stressed to the max it wouldn't be so bad, but I think its unlikely.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I personally must say, if x570 has a fan it is a showstopper
It won't be a showstopper when you realize you're essentially buying last year's enthusiast platform as this year's mainstream platform: X570 is based on the previous Epyc chipset, that's why it has higher TDP and most likely very beefy connectivity. I'm also expecting premium X570 boards with premium passive cooling. Meanwhile keep in mind you can always buy a X470 or B450 motherboard and enjoy stock passive cooling.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
You are not alone - I noticed the same thing thing and was WTF?

Okay digging I think you two are talking about the twitter profile pic. That isn't a real shot, Its someones Idea of what the APU would look like, if you looked closely you will notice that the two Chiplets have a different die shot imposed on them. I think the one on the right is mobile vega and the one on the left is a collapsed PR die shot.

Obviously considering the shot we saw with Lisa, there isn't a way without completely moving around the power IC''s at the top to fit all three side by side like that. I could see the configuration for an AM4 chiplet APU taking a route like that. Even more then two core chiplets, you wouldn't want a GPU and CPU module to be that close together if you could avoid it.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
I know x570 boards take like twice the power. Was talked about earlier.
Current X470 board use 6-8 watts X570 should use around 15 watts but that doesn’t sound like something that would change heat that much.
Pcie4 needs signal regen, i wonder where they put the hardware for that, so that would add power, adding in multiple pcie4 M.2 i think that could explain the power increase.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
The danger with being late is that you get closer to your competitor's launch window, which would normally be a big problem where your competitor is the brand leader. I don't see Intel having a compelling 10th gen product though, so perhaps being late actually exposes that more...?
We should also hope that reviewers are allowed to publish ahead of release date, as Intel's 9th gen NDA was a farce due to that commissioned Principled Technologies early review.

Veradun

Jul 29, 2016
Why can't they use heatpipes ? That has been around forever it seems, and used a fair amount, Heatpipe to the VRM heatsinks, where those can be huge.
My Maximus Formula had heatpipes. It was 12 years ago. So yes, I can confirm that is perfectly doable in 2019 :>

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
A flash from the past with Thermalright. I still have one similar model from the old days, when I had to silence a nasty chipset fan on my skt 939 DFI board.