Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 96 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
No support on A320 seems a bit odd.

Remember that A320 has been out since fall 2016 when AMD made limited launches of Bristol Ridge in certain markets. There was an A320/BR combo for sale in . . . Japan and Germany I think?

A320 has been on the streets longer than any other AM4 chipset. There's no way they should run Zen2 on any of those old boards. Best just to cut them off entirely.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
Can we get a Stewards' Enquiry on where this 0.9% difference in clocking expectations is derived from?
0.9% of any of the listed numbers does not even amount to 0.04GHz, and I can't see any reference to such odd numbers anywhere in these last pages. I see an expectation of 4.8GHz and disappointment at 4.5GHz, but that's a disappointment at a 6.25% lower clock, not 0.9%.

In any event, the argument over clocks is totally irrelevant; its the overall improvement in performance that counts, and whether it is obtained through clocks or IPC is neither here nor there.
The 9900K sets the bar so high that AMD have already won by being on a par, or even ahead of it, if the price and power metrics are anything that go by.
Isn't it great that we can get 9900K performance out of the box without breaking the bank? No need to worry about ongoing electricity bils either. If the 8c Ryzen ends up ahead in all metrics, including gaming of all types and resolutions, then who ultimately cares how it got there?

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
You're an optimist. I think hopefully end June availability and Computex launch. And hoping we get a look at the product line in a few days May 1. At least a decent outline. Basically: model numbers, cores/threads. Details like final clocks and retail price can wait till the launch.

Well, we shall see. I don't think AMD would miss an opportunity for their 50th though. Maybe they aren't available until late June or even July, but I think we will hear something on May 1st.

Remember that A320 has been out since fall 2016 when AMD made limited launches of Bristol Ridge in certain markets. There was an A320/BR combo for sale in . . . Japan and Germany I think?

A320 has been on the streets longer than any other AM4 chipset. There's no way they should run Zen2 on any of those old boards. Best just to cut them off entirely.

IIRC Bristol Ridge was completely unavailable to anyone that wasn't an OEM. Anandtech appears to agree. I'm not too worried about it as I doubt A320 was used much.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Can we get a Stewards' Enquiry on where this 0.9% difference in clocking expectations is derived from?

Got me, that's why I replied a bit harshly to that person. I also Had to look up "Stewards' Inquiry", so I learned something new.

In any event, the argument over clocks is totally irrelevant; its the overall improvement in performance that counts, and whether it is obtained through clocks or IPC is neither here nor there.
The 9900K sets the bar so high that AMD have already won by being on a par, or even ahead of it, if the price and power metrics are anything that go by.
Isn't it great that we can get 9900K performance out of the box without breaking the bank? No need to worry about ongoing electricity bils either. If the 8c Ryzen ends up ahead in all metrics, including gaming of all types and resolutions, then who ultimately cares how it got there?

The IPC improvement alone makes me think they can compete with Intel. As far as clock speeds, I expected higher but believe AMD can reach them. Even if they cannot, it wouldn't be the first time AMD (or Intel) has had superior performance at a lower clock speed.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
I'd like them to be able to match Intel with lower clocks, as that gives the impression that there may be more in the tank with some optimisation; see Zen to Zen+ (a small IPC improvement with a decent clock uplift). Whilst I understand there's no official plans for a Zen 2+, you never know what obstacles they may be hitting for Zen 3, so it would be wise to have a backup plan in place.

Intel currently are at the bleeding edge of their node, and I sincerely doubt there's much they can do in the short term. Until 10nm is properly performing at the high end, I can't see them winning in many metrics that aren't edge cases (such as 720p PUBG or CS:GO).

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
IIRC Bristol Ridge was completely unavailable to anyone that wasn't an OEM.

It was supposed to be. Only one chip/board combo was being sold to them, apparently. Some retail outlets were selling them as grey market parts. Hence their unavailability in some parts of Europe and the United States.

As far as Zen2 clocks are concerned, I'll stick to my predictions of boost clocks in the 4.5-4.6 GHz range. We all know that a 2700x can hit 4.3-4.4 GHz if you throw enough cooling at it, so I find it probable that at least the 8c parts should go maybe 200 MHz higher.

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Intel currently are at the bleeding edge of their node, and I sincerely doubt there's much they can do in the short term. Until 10nm is properly performing at the high end, I can't see them winning in many metrics that aren't edge cases (such as 720p PUBG or CS:GO).

While I agree intel being on the egde of the node, i fully expect the 9900k to be faster than an equivalent 8-core ryzen 3000 in MT and especially ST simply due to clocks and hence easily beat it for 1080p 144hz gaming which IMHO isn't really and edge case. But these are pure perfromance numbers and ignore price and power use. Adding these will make the ryzen 3000 the better choice even if it won't whole the performance crown.

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
My expectation is that Ryzen will win out in almost all scenarios that are not heavily latency critical, such as certain game types/resolutions, and that there'll be parity at worst in many cases where latency is important but where IPC improvements negate it.

exquisitechar

Apr 18, 2017
I still don't see Ryzen 3k even being on par with Intel in high refresh rate gaming due to its memory latency, but I can't say I care about that. There will be another Zen-like moment where some people will have a meltdown because gaming performance doesn't match the rest, I think...

However, if the SC turbo is just 4.5GHz, it won't be on par with Intel in anything single threaded, nor multi threaded at the same core count, hence my disappointment. At least, that's what it seems like from what we've seen so far; its IPC won't make up for a 500MHz deficit in clocks.

Reactions: krumme

PotatoWithEarsOnSide

Feb 23, 2017
I still don't see Ryzen 3k even being on par with Intel in high refresh rate gaming due to its memory latency, but I can't say I care about that. There will be another Zen-like moment where some people will have a meltdown because gaming performance doesn't match the rest, I think...

However, if the SC turbo is just 4.5GHz, it won't be on par with Intel in anything single threaded, nor multi threaded at the same core count, hence my disappointment. At least, that's what it seems like from what we've seen so far; its IPC won't make up for a 500MHz deficit in clocks.
Clock for clock Zen+ is only about 3% behind the latest Intel gen, so a 15% IPC uplift would see a 0.5GHz clock deficit being enough to match Intel.

Reactions: FlanK3r

exquisitechar

Apr 18, 2017
Clock for clock Zen+ is only about 3% behind the latest Intel gen, so a 15% IPC uplift would see a 0.5GHz clock deficit being enough to match Intel.
Depends on the test suite, I guess. I tend to go by The Stilt's testing which puts CFL's IPC almost 8% above Zen+, excluding workloads which include AVX-256. IMO, looking at many real life workloads, the difference is often a bit more than a few percent. With Zen 2, the only thing we have to compare right now is the SiSoft Sandra 4c/8t Zen 2 ES result, in which it's around 5% faster than the 6700k in the arithmetic test, clock for clock.

Feb 4, 2009
Gold addition 2700x at newegg. Appears to be a regular 2700x with two games and some other stuff

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ocessorsDesktops-_-19113102-S1A1A&ignorebbr=1

Stuff included:

AMD Gift - Tom Clancy's The Division 2 Gold Edition & World War Z
  • Value:$99.99
  • AMD 50th Anniversary Edition
  • Special AMD50 Gold Box and Bezel Sticker
  • Dr. Lisa Su Signature on the CPU Lid, Along with Special AMD50 Marking on the CPU Lid
  • Coupon to Redeem an AMD50 Shirt
  • Digital Code to Enter a Drawing for a Free Matisse Processor upon Launch
  • AMD StoreMI Technology and SenseMI Technology
  • AMD Ryzen Master Utility
  • Unlocked Processor
  • AMD Wraith Prism Cooler Included

Feb 4, 2009
Not sure how many people who would be interested in that stuff aren't also just waiting for Zen 2.

Agreed but I am sure some collector will be interested or even someone looking to buy now, not a horrible deal. $70 more and you get about $100 worth of games.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Gold addition 2700x at newegg. Appears to be a regular 2700x with two games and some other stuff

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ocessorsDesktops-_-19113102-S1A1A&ignorebbr=1

Stuff included:

AMD Gift - Tom Clancy's The Division 2 Gold Edition & World War Z
  • Value:$99.99
  • AMD 50th Anniversary Edition

• Special AMD50 Gold Box and Bezel Sticker
  • Dr. Lisa Su Signature on the CPU Lid, Along with Special AMD50 Marking on the CPU Lid
  • Coupon to Redeem an AMD50 Shirt
  • Digital Code to Enter a Drawing for a Free Matisse Processor upon Launch
  • AMD StoreMI Technology and SenseMI Technology
  • AMD Ryzen Master Utility
  • Unlocked Processor
  • AMD Wraith Prism Cooler Included

How could a marketing Dept be so clueless?

Your 50th will last 1 year and the fact AMD is still around after the last several years and now beginning to scream their presence to all, should necessitate a very special anniversary edition product release, not this.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ha! So nice to have a Microcenter within driving distance.

I just moved to GA from FL, and I have a Microcenter about 15 min away. I used to live in CA where they had Frys, and the FL... nothing.

But, while the 2700x is nice, I'm building a new system and will be using their next gen stuff.

Feb 4, 2009
I just moved to GA from FL, and I have a Microcenter about 15 min away. I used to live in CA where they had Frys, and the FL... nothing.

But, while the 2700x is nice, I'm building a new system and will be using their next gen stuff.

Same here, hopefully I don't have any more failures until July. I think my old girl can make it.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
0.9% of any of the listed numbers does not even amount to 0.04GHz, and I can't see any reference to such odd numbers anywhere in these last pages. I see an expectation of 4.8GHz and disappointment at 4.5GHz, but that's a disappointment at a 6.25% lower clock, not 0.9%.

I do, because I want to be able to put the VTEC equivalent of a CPU badge on my case!

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
How could a marketing Dept be so clueless?

Your 50th will last 1 year and the fact AMD is still around after the last several years and now beginning to scream their presence to all, should necessitate a very special anniversary edition product release, not this.

Keep in mind that WE ARE GUESSING when Ryzen 3000 will launch, we dont know... This has to be a mistake by the marketing team or the Ryzen 3000 may be launching closer to the end of the year that we trought.

It seems strange to me to launch another version when you are trying to clear inventory.

Feb 4, 2009
Keep in mind that WE ARE GUESSING when Ryzen 3000 will launch, we dont know... This has to be a mistake by the marketing team or the Ryzen 3000 may be launching closer to the end of the year that we trought.

It seems strange to me to launch another version when you are trying to clear inventory.

It’s the same version as what they are trying to clear but in a different box.