Speculation: Ryzen 3000 series

Page 174 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

What will Ryzen 3000 for AM4 look like?

• Total voters

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
You've all seen the dual-chiplet 12nm die and the octo-chiplet 14nm die. However, you have not seen the single-chiplet 22nm die!
;)

Reactions: amd6502

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Let's assume the clocks listed are valid (which we don't know). There is no way these would be the boost speeds as those are used for differentiating models and heavily depend on binning, chips binned for better power efficiency have lower boost speed than those binned for higher boost speeds. In fact all those clocks are very close to each other (lowest is 3.2, highest 3.4 GHz) as well as close to the power efficiency sweet spot that GloFo's 14nm/Epyc 1 had (a little below 3.3 GHz in The Stilt's data) which would make perfect sense as base (or average) clock for server chips.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
Apologies if this has been posted but Pcgamesn posted up an article with some quotes by AMD about the 3950X. They said the 3950X will be the best gaming chip of the line-up. Obviously the higher clock speeds are at work here but it implies to me that the cross-CCX latency issue with gaming has been resolved. That is great news if true.
Interesting. Although one would expect in practice the difference from a 3800X would be indistinguishable. Can't imagine there's a current or soon to be released game out there that really benefits from the 8 extra cores. I'm really curious how an OC'd 3800X will compare to an OC'd 3700X.

Reactions: Elfear

amd6502

Apr 21, 2017
I do not know, I think it is just a lower cost chiplet for OEM mATX, mITX, mSTX.
2x 64b DDR, no change
1x Fabric, from 2x Fabric
8x GFX, from 16x GFX
2x GPP+2x Storage, from 4x GPP+4x Storage

hopefully with GPU. oem esp'ly like those, and would be option for perf laptops too.

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
Interesting. Although one would expect in practice the difference from a 3800X would be indistinguishable. Can't imagine there's a current or soon to be released game out there that really benefits from the 8 extra cores. I'm really curious how an OC'd 3800X will compare to an OC'd 3700X.

What is it with everyone assuming all the extra cores need to go to the game? You have web browser tabs up, email client, possible VM’s, and streaming software for many.

This is where I have found AMD’s advantage, even in the bulldozer days. If I played a game, with nothing going on in the background, my Intel chips worked really well. However I always use background tasks, and tend to multitask quite often.

Not sure the technical reasons as to why, it it’s been that way for me.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Your guess is as good as mine, I can't even remember writing that, I'm sure it was meant to be sarcastic though it was 1am and I might have had a few drinks so pay no attention :tearsofjoy:
hahahah alright then, my hope was that you were being super/s

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Man, keep away from the internet when you've had a few. I got in real trouble once because I emailed my boss at 2am telling him he looked like a catfish. (he really did).

zrav

Nov 11, 2017
Your guess is as good as mine, I can't even remember writing that, I'm sure it was meant to be sarcastic though it was 1am and I might have had a few drinks so pay no attention :tearsofjoy:
You're not entirely wrong though. Current x86 is a hack on top of a hack of a baroque architecture. You can find various estimates stating that this legacy eats roughly about 10% performance. By comparison ARM is quite efficient. Personally I'd like to see RISC-V becoming more prevalent, but that is OT ;)

Reactions: lightmanek

Hans de Vries

May 2, 2008
www.chip-architect.com
Geekbench 4.0 on Linux : Ryzen 5 3600 versus Core i9-9900k

High bandwidth memory with low latency does wonders for Ryzen and Linux also helps a lot but this is, well ...

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/12370322?baseline=13629401

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz, Core i9-9900k @ 4.9GHz
Ryzen's single thread memory bandwidth is close to the total maximum memory bandwidth which certainly helps to boost the score.

Asterox

Golden Member
May 15, 2012
Geekbench 4.0 on Linux : Ryzen 5 3600 versus Core i9-9900k

High bandwidth memory with low latency does wonders for Ryzen and Linux also helps a lot but this is, well ...

http://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/compare/12370322?baseline=13629401

Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.4GHz, Core i9-9900k @ 4.9GHz
Ryzen's single thread memory bandwidth is close to the total maximum memory bandwidth which certainly helps to boost the score.

Compared to Linux, "with R5 3600 somebody hunts the CPU performance on Windows".

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cp...+Ryzen+5+3600+windows+10&sort=multicore_score

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
On the one hand, GB4 loves that memory performance.

That aside . . . a vanilla 3600 doing that well is kinda scary. They didn't even overclock it.

At $250 it looks like it might just pack a good punch. Guess the official reviews should be interesting to say the least.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Dammit, can we get some reviews instead of leaked benchmarks.
The suspense is driving me nuts!

The way this is playing out builds excitement for enthusiasts and end users, while building anxiety for the competition. It's just a form of AMD vs Intel psychological warfare!

The suspense is driving you nuts....Just imagine what it's doing to Intel.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Compared to Linux, "with R5 3600 somebody hunts the CPU performance on Windows".

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cp...+Ryzen+5+3600+windows+10&sort=multicore_score

Their 9900k system was running horribly, which is strange given it was done under linux. I just ran mine (not overclocked and no MCE) in Win10 and the scores were around 15% better. Also, their memory latency was very high.

That said, those are very impressive results for the R5 3600. For the first time ever I'm tempted to run an AMD machine. The 12 core looks like a phenomenal value and as long as gaming performance is there, it's what I'll be recommending my friends.

Last edited:

DarthKyrie

Golden Member
Jul 11, 2016
The way this is playing out builds excitement for enthusiasts and end users, while building anxiety for the competition. It's just a form of AMD vs Intel psychological warfare!

I can see it now: Inside Intel headquarters

Exec 1. What the hell has AMD done to us?
Exec 2. Boss we should really lower our prices to be more competitive with AMD.
1. We're Intel we don't lower prices, we have the best gaming CPU in the universe.
2. Um, boss, the newest leak has surfaced and shows AMD's new 6 core beating our 9900K.
1. Redacted where the redacted did we put that chiller?

Profanity is not allowed
in the tech forums.

AT Mod Usandthem

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 4, 2009

Yeah, however from working at big companies in my past I’m 100% sure intel already knows within a few percentage points exactly what Ryzen will do.
They have all the resources to run simulations, they have all the skill to estimate performance from published stuff and like all large companies I’m sure they own one share of AMD stock to request the full financial report that they then dig thru for data and timelines.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Yeah, however from working at big companies in my past I’m 100% sure intel already knows within a few percentage points exactly what Ryzen will do.
They have all the resources to run simulations, they have all the skill to estimate performance from published stuff and like all large companies I’m sure they own one share of AMD stock to request the full financial report that they then dig thru for data and timelines.

Let alone full on corporate espionage. I'm pretty sure that Intel, AMD and NVIDIA all know what the competition is up to well in advance. NVIDIA especially given how quickly and precisely they respond to AMD's offerings.

Feb 4, 2009
Let alone full on corporate espionage. I'm pretty sure that Intel, AMD and NVIDIA all know what the competition is up to well in advance. NVIDIA especially given how quickly and precisely they respond to AMD's offerings.

Yeah I was leaving that off the table because there really should be proof but don’t kid yourself and think intel or AMD for that matter doesn’t lean on big vendors for information or at minimal listen for hints.
I could easily see intel saying I’ll give you a licensing break to a motherboard vendor that “accidentally” leaks some Ryzen info.

TheGiant

Jun 12, 2017
sure they do

but that 3600X=9900K, well.... I am more conservative about that one

sometimes I think that hype has gone too far...

wait what's the date? 23.6.2019 when is the f..nice NDA expiring?