Question Speculation: RDNA2 + CDNA Architectures thread

Page 183 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
All die sizes are within 5mm^2. The poster here has been right on some things in the past afaik, and to his credit was the first to saying 505mm^2 for Navi21, which other people have backed up. Even still though, take the following with a pich of salt.

Navi21 - 505mm^2

Navi22 - 340mm^2

Navi23 - 240mm^2

Source is the following post: https://www.ptt.cc/bbs/PC_Shopping/M.1588075782.A.C1E.html

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
I am using driver version 20.9.1 released 2020-09-09.

For the video, if I goto settings -> video -> video profile -> custom, I can adjust:
video sharpness
color vibrance
steady video
fluid motion video
custom brightness

If your looking to update the DisplayPort/HDMI profiles, that was moved to settings -> display, with both custom resolutions and overrides available. Including AMD Freesync, virtual super resolution, gpu scaling, interger scaling, color, custom color, etc

For anisotropic filtering: settings -> graphics -> pick the game you want (or global) -> advanced:
there are overrides for:
anisotropic filtering, anti-aliasing, tessellation*, pixel format, shader cache, BHCC (caching policy)
along with
anti-lag, chill, boost, image sharpening, enhanced sync, and vsync

*manually setting tessellation is a great way to play nvidia gameworks games with full performance

--------------------

From my perspective, your post appears to be misinformation?
I think force aniso is opengl only in the AMD drivers. Remember having to use to RadeonPro do apply AFx16 in games when I had a 7970.

Sad that the program was descontinued because it was great.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
I think force aniso is opengl only in the AMD drivers. Remember having to use to RadeonPro do apply AFx16 in games when I had a 7970.

Sad that the program was descontinued because it was great.

AMDs official guide says nothing about aniso open gl only:

the only opengl specific settings are vsync* and opengl triple buffering.
(control-f and search for opengl to find the details)

*used enhanced sync to force the equivalent in directx/vulcan games

--------

Seems to be a lot of well intentioned misinformation floating around.

Last edited:

DiogoDX

Oct 11, 2012
AMDs official guide says nothing about aniso open gl only:

the only opengl specific settings are vsync* and opengl triple buffering.
(control-f and search for opengl to find the details)

*used enhanced sync to force the equivalent in directx/vulcan games

--------

Seems to be a lot of well intentioned misinformation floating around.
My mistake. Is triple buffering that was for OpenGL only.

But the AF was not working with the new drivers for NAVI. I remember to have read in others foruns when Horizon ZD launched with no AF in the menu that AMD users with NAVI cards could not make it work in the driver.

Here is a topic with the problem: https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/anisotropic-filtering-under-adrenalin-2020/td-p/163374

4 weeks ago
Re: Anisotropic filtering under Adrenalin 2020
@AMD: Are you going to fix this someday or will the DX9 AA/AF setting never work for Navi cards?
On Non-Navi cards like RX580 or Vega56 Anisotropic filtering and Anti-aliasing works fine.

a week ago
Re: Anisotropic filtering under Adrenalin 2020
No go in 20.11.1. I joked in my other thread that maybe we'll have to see if the functionality jumps a generation from working in Polaris to not working in NAVI to whatever is next.
wink.png

I've actually got my 590 and 5600XT installed in the same box and bounce back and forth whenever there's a new driver hoping the 5600 will finally work w/ AA and AF. Sigh.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leeea

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020

My understanding is that issue effects Nvidia also. Specifically, if an application provides its own setting for a graphical option (like AA or arthroscopic filtering), odds are the override is not going to work under Nvidia either. It has been that way for a long time.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
What dlss does is what everyone does manually:

move sliders down, or disable invisible fps killing effects to obtain what is basically the same quality but at higher framerate.

AMD will probably enable something similar at some point for the attached marketing, but what this stuff is is just automating what you already can do by yourself.

-PC Gamers were so preoccupied with consoles becoming like PCs that they never stopped to think whether or not PCs would become like consoles...

-Dr. Ian Malcom

I was a lot more positive of DLSS before, but Watch Dogs does show pretty clearly it's a hit and miss technique. It can be excellent in some games, but subpar in others.

I mean, that's not really surprising given the nature of image reconstruction, but eye opening. It does just mean that one should keep their eyes open for it and that DLSS shouldn't be taken as the holy grail of graphics. Just another technique that works amazingly in some games but falls flat on it's face in others.

-Agreed and frankly AI upscaling seems like an incredible way to stretch another year or two out of a card that's just not cutting it anymore, but I'm not sold on the idea of it being necessary to play the games you want right out of the gate...

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
CDNA launched
"World’s fastest High-Performance Computing (HPC) GPU"

View attachment 33947

Faster 'traditional' compute than A100 but still slower in matrix/AI compute. Lower memory and bandwidth than A100 as well. I wonder what the die size is? Looks pretty good for their first CDNA card. I imagine the next version will be even more AI compute focused, or maybe they'll have a card that is more of an AI acceleration focused card.

turtile

Aug 19, 2014
Faster 'traditional' compute than A100 but still slower in matrix/AI compute. Lower memory and bandwidth than A100 as well. I wonder what the die size is? Looks pretty good for their first CDNA card. I imagine the next version will be even more AI compute focused, or maybe they'll have a card that is more of an AI acceleration focused card.

I think we will eventually see Xilinx Versal AI cores integrated like Nvidia's Tensor. Not sure when that will happen though.

leoneazzurro

Jul 26, 2016

723mm^2 according to various internet sources.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
723mm^2 according to various internet sources.

If true, that would make A100 approximately 24% more expensive to make (GPU only). CDNA cards would be cheaper and probably use less power, but will have performance disadvantage in pure matrix/bfloat applications and in memory. Mixed loads the CDNA cards might have an advantage in though as I think they can handle mixed matrix/pure fp better if I am not mistaken. AMD has won several supercomputer contracts with CDNA based cards included so it obviously has got the industry's attention.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
StH has rather extensive reporting:

amd-radeon-instinct-mkojxs.jpg

amd-radeon-instinct-mh6j1p.jpg

I think we will eventually see Xilinx Versal AI cores integrated like Nvidia's Tensor. Not sure when that will happen though.
AMD and Xilinx will continue as separate companies until the transaction is complete which was mentioned to happen at the end of 2021. Development on real integration (in contrast to just partnerships) likely won't start before that point.

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
Also Paul's hardware showed a really nice custom watercooling loop from EK designed for Ryzen and new Navi21 cards. Looks like we won't have to wait ages for full coverage WC block, but first will have to get a card, which might be easier said than done :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97 and sandorski

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

Just like their "nvidia jebaited amd" tweet that got deleted. dont trust videocardz :)

Expecting low stock should be the default assumption going into this launch. AMD just launched their new Zen 3 CPUs (sold out most models in a few hours or less pretty much everywhere) and the new Microsoft and Sony consoles (I assume these are pretty much selling out as they come into stock as well, but I haven't been paying attention to them all that much) as well. There just aren't enough wafers to supply all of those, particularly when AMD actually has a top tier product for a change.

Even if they had three times as much stock as NVidia it won't be nearly enough and will be gone almost instantly. Based on the reported numbers for 3080 and 3090 back orders even 10x the initial supply won't be enough. I think most people are better off planning to upgrade in 2021. This prediction isn't going to be far off even if they're completely full of it on source.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Damn you TSMC more coal in the burners crank up the pressure open all the windows.

In the video he mentions that Ampere has yet to supply enough to fulfill day 1 orders, "not by a long shot". While stock will probably be gone almost instantly on launch day, hopefully in 2 months the 6800(XT) cards will at least have worked through the back-orders. Here's to hoping, lol.

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
Here's to hoping that demand is making AMD and NV throw even more resources R&D for the next gen (and probably the one after that since the next is probably under way spec wise already) so that we get progress even faster. I'm not sure if we can count on it because the limited supply means not that many sales (and earnings) yet, but at least the pandemic has made many more people (re)descovering PC gaming and that's got to count for something in the R&D department.