Soon-to-be Kaby Lake owners thread

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
It really gets tiresome, constant Zen promotion in a thread explicitly aimed at Kaby Lake owners, current and prospective.

Not promotion. With 3.6/4.0GHz confirmed as the minimum base/turbo clocks for the highest end SKUs we already know that Zen is going to be really, really good. The point being made isn't "buy Zen instead," but rather "it makes little sense to buy Kaby this moment when ~two months from now, whether it be a Zen system or a lower priced Intel system, you're likely to be able to get much better performance for the same money."

It's usually a good idea to wait when there's significant new tech just over the horizon, but in this case we already have a pretty good idea of how disruptive things could get in the immediate future. Unless you need a new system right this instant, or you're in a market that isn't likely to move much (eg. mobile), there really hasn't been this much of a no-brainer to wait a little bit longer since we learned how amazing Conroe was going to be.

Mar 10, 2006
Not promotion. With 3.6/4.0GHz confirmed as the minimum base/turbo clocks for the highest end SKUs we already know that Zen is going to be really, really good. The point being made isn't "buy Zen instead," but rather "it makes little sense to buy Kaby this moment when ~two months from now, whether it be a Zen system or a lower priced Intel system, you're likely to be able to get much better performance for the same money."

It's usually a good idea to wait when there's significant new tech just over the horizon, but in this case we already have a pretty good idea of how disruptive things could get in the immediate future. Unless you need a new system right this instant, or you're in a market that isn't likely to move much (eg. mobile), it hasn't been this much of a no-brainer to wait a little bit longer since we learned how amazing Conroe was going to be.

I wonder if once Zen is out, people will say "wait for Skylake-X it's only a few months out."

Somehow I doubt that they will.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
I wonder if once Zen is out, people will say "wait for Skylake-X it's only a few months out."

Somehow I doubt that they will.

It should be fairly easy to extrapolate where Skylake-X will land in terms of performance, just looking at previous generations, and we'll see how AMD and Intel decide to react to each other in regards to pricing. It's possible that it will make more sense to wait for Skylake-X, but knowing everything we do right now, and filling in the blanks as best we can where we don't, I don't see that as a likely scenario. But I'd love to be wrong and see the price and performance wars of old make a return. That was a great time to be a consumer!

Reactions: jana519

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Not promotion. With 3.6/4.0GHz confirmed as the minimum base/turbo clocks for the highest end SKUs we already know that Zen is going to be really, really good.
But we don't know prices,other then wild speculations,we do know though that they will only release the 8/16 one for starters,even if it will be 30-40% better then the i7-7700k,both at stock(canardpc showed only about ~20% over the stock 6700k) ,and have the same price it will still mean that zen will need twice the threads to pull this off meaning that ipc will suck.
All the people that already know that they want more threads and don't care about ipc already know to wait for zen,everybody else already knows to get the 7700k.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I've got the choice, to wait a month or two, for G4560 to be released, or maybe splurge, and get an i5-7500 now, and one more in a month, for my deskmini rigs. That, or save my money for car work.

Reactions: Drazick

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
I ordered a 7700K, i never had any intentions waiting for Zen, plus - it was "an offer i couldn't refuse, straight from the horse's mouth".
now i need to get a M/B and some DDR4, the cpu will be under a Noctua C14 (2 fans).

i'm not an extreme overclocker i'm hoping for a 4.8GHz on the 7700K, so i was thinking getting an Asus Prime Z270-P which looks solid, has all the features that i'll probably never use.
and for RAM i saw a nice HyperX Savage 2x8 DDR4-3000 CL15. any reason not to get this RAM kit? the price difference between that and slower kits is negligible.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
I ordered a 7700K, i never had any intentions waiting for Zen, plus - it was "an offer i couldn't refuse, straight from the horse's mouth".
now i need to get a M/B and some DDR4, the cpu will be under a Noctua C14 (2 fans).

i'm not an extreme overclocker i'm hoping for a 4.8GHz on the 7700K, so i was thinking getting an Asus Prime Z270-P which looks solid, has all the features that i'll probably never use.
and for RAM i saw a nice HyperX Savage 2x8 DDR4-3000 CL15. any reason not to get this RAM kit? the price difference between that and slower kits is negligible.

Sounds like a solid upgrade to me.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, if you search on ebay, for "Intel 7th gen", there are a few CPUs that turn up, that aren't at Newegg yet, like the G4600 Pentium, and G3950 Celeron. Problem is, prices are a bit... inflated. LOL. $100 for the G4600, ARK lists $75-82.

I've decided that I want a G4600 rather than a G4560, because of the better iGPU, and 100Mhz more clock speed, for like $10-15 more. But with those ebay prices, it's like $25 more than ARK. Decisions...

Reactions: Drazick

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
The problem with buying from Amazon is they might stick a mailing label directly on the product box itself. That's how I received a motherboard I ordered.
Amazon itself or a seller on Amazon?

I've been with Amazon forever and I don't think that's ever happened.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
This is kaby Lake thread. Not a Zen thread.

Speak to the topic when I reopen it tomorrow. Next thread derailers will be issued infractions.

esquared
Anandtech Forum Director

Status
Not open for further replies.