Soon-to-be Kaby Lake owners thread

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Now that Zen is known to at least clock to 3.6GHz base for the 8c/16t, buying a Kaby Lake processor is very foolish. Even if one is looking for a drop in upgrade, prices on Kaby Lake processors are likely to plummet once Zen releases.

Just stop.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Why? Even if for whatever reason someone is set on buying an Intel processor, would it not make way sense to wait a couple months and buy it a significant discount?

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Why? If for whatever reason someone is still set on buying an Intel processor, would it not make way sense to wait a couple months and buy it a significant discount?

What makes you think AMD will sell it cheap? They badly need the money, a price war is not what they want.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Jumping up to DDR4 2400 will kill off all that lag and throttling and even more so on even faster Ram like 3200-4000 if using the Igpu.

Seems you have some APU/iGPU knowledge. I'd love to discuss this more but I'll PM you so not to derail the thread.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
What makes you think AMD will sell it cheap? They badly need the money, a price war is not what they want.

I don't think they'll sell it at bargain basement prices, but they just don't have the mindshare to sell Zen at anything like Intel could get away with. They'll also want to grow market share at the same time as increasing margins. It's possible that prices won't move too much, but that's a fairly unlikely scenario I think.

Just stop already. Jesus.

You sound like you work on commission.

That's not an argument. And I would say the exact same thing if the situation was reversed.

escrow4

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2013
Teehee, the spastic low clocked bargain basement i5 is back clocked at a standard 3.0GHz! Why are these - and the 6400 - so popular?

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Now that Zen is known to at least clock to 3.6GHz base for the 8c/16t, buying a Kaby Lake processor is very foolish. Even if one is looking for a drop in upgrade, prices on Kaby Lake processors are likely to plummet once Zen releases.

Why is it foolish? More cores benefits a small subset of customers, unless you're looking to hold on to your processor for the next 5 years.

Reactions: Drazick

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
I don't think they'll sell it at bargain basement prices, but they just don't have the mindshare to sell Zen at anything like Intel could get away with. They'll also want to grow market share at the same time as increasing margins. It's possible that prices won't move too much, but that's a fairly unlikely scenario I think.

There's room that they can undercut Intel a little bit, but not majorly, and still get sales. You have to remember that without the IGP this is going to be a niche product so you're only talking a small segment albeit a growing one. Plus there's likely to be some pent up demand for anything AMD, so you can 'soak' the early adopters then adjust prices downward later.

The other factor is that availability is likely to be still a couple months, esp with anything other than the top bin. Kaby Lake is available now.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks for correcting.

Cheaper stocks get VT-d, yet more expensive one does not have it, don't understand Intel's logic.

mmm Kaby Lake desktop does not even list as VT-d support Yes/No, anymore, not sure what that means, maybe its a mistake? its strange for then not to list it as "NO" if it doest have it.
B250, H270 and Z270 chipsets shows up as having VT-d support.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Thanks for correcting.

Cheaper stocks get VT-d, yet more expensive one does not have it, don't understand Intel's logic.

They want you to choose between having VT-d or a better processor. Logical, but stupid.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
There's room that they can undercut Intel a little bit, but not majorly, and still get sales. You have to remember that without the IGP this is going to be a niche product so you're only talking a small segment albeit a growing one. Plus there's likely to be some pent up demand for anything AMD, so you can 'soak' the early adopters then adjust prices downward later.

The other factor is that availability is likely to be still a couple months, esp with anything other than the top bin. Kaby Lake is available now.

Yeah, no.

AMD needs to make a splash with Ryzen, and they need to recapture market share. Soaking solely because of "AMD demand" is a bad idea that will lead to bad press. Unless they are already beating Intel price points in the same class by a comfortable margin.

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
They want you to choose between having VT-d or a better processor. Logical, but stupid.

Thats stupid, the ENTIRE Skylake lineup had VT-d, from the Celerons to the I7s, this must be a webpage error most likely, as the "vt-d" info is not show, and thats not normal.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
mmm Kaby Lake desktop does not even list as VT-d support Yes/No, anymore.

Yep. Don't know why, it seems now Intel ARK product website does not list VT-d feature for all 7th gen CPUs, probably web designer's fault? It only appears when you compare CPU products.

Last edited:

Shivansps

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2013
Ive already sended a feedback about it, lets see what happens, it looks like a webpage error to me considering that every Skylake CPU had it.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003

I think the IGP argument works best for the models that one would not expect the AT readership to purchase. The very low end SKUs are unlikely to have a huge price adjustment. Mobile Kaby Lake probably won't budge much if at it does all. But my assumption is that people here are looking at 7600 and up, which I do expect to go down significantly in price. Of course, it's possible I'm wrong and I suppose time will tell.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Intel Ark also lists the i3-7101E with a base frequency of 3.9Ghz and a max turbo of 3.9Ghz. That's gotta be an error.

Status
Not open for further replies.