Soon-to-be Kaby Lake owners thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Yes look at their MT benchmarks of the 8/16 chip divide by two for the 4/8 chip and compare to i5-6400 running at 3.1Ghz all core turbo.
... because it will have 25-30% lower IPC then sky/kaby.
If it's priced the same as the i5-6400 it will basically just be another choice being not much worse overall but offering more threads,hardly anything to loose your mind over.

Only if you blindly believe AMDs PR talk does the ZEN look very good and worth waiting for.

I cant follow you calculations and neither can Canard themselves as they write it like it will shake up the market. And that Intel is a trainwreck. Perhaps the difference is they had the cpu in hand and interviewed employees and ex employees at Intel. Or perhaps they dont know the trick that you can just devide by 2 to go from 8c mt scores to 4 core results. Funky stuff but nice to see such software scaling. We need more of that ;)

Reactions: Lodix

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I got the 7700K. I am fully aware its hardly a revolutionary upgrade from the 6700k. I am however coming from a 2500K, even then it's not vastly superior. I wanted a motherboard upgrade as well. I did a almost full system overhaul and am not upset by it. Plan to overclock some, also got the Kraken X62. There was a time I thought anything but a custom loop wasn't real watercooling and an embarrassment. I just don't care much anymore, not as much time as I once had.

f2bnp

May 25, 2015
Kaby Lake is a major disappointment. It's essentially a rebrand and it is easily the worst "new" series I have ever seen Intel launch.

The Kaby Lake Pentiums however are another story. The pricing on these looks great, it's where I consider i3's should have landed (in terms of pricing) years ago. I will have no issue recommending them wholeheartedly to friends and clients that seek budget computers for office work and Internet browsing or even gaming with a few compromises.
I'd like too see whether or not AMD can offer something as competitive on the sub 100$ segment.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
I cant follow you calculations and neither can Canard themselves as they write it like it will shake up the market. And that Intel is a trainwreck. Perhaps the difference is they had the cpu in hand and interviewed employees and ex employees at Intel. Or perhaps they dont know the trick that you can just devide by 2 to go from 8c mt scores to 4 core results. Funky stuff but nice to see such software scaling. We need more of that ;)
Look at i7-6900k vs i7-4790k, the first runs at ~3,2Ghz all core turbo the second at 4,2Ghz all core turbo.
6900k gets 193 in MT divided by two its 96.5
the 4790k gets ~128 with ~30% higher clocks so 128-30% would be around 90, broadwell has a bit higher IPC so it works out, halving the score gets you the score of halve the cores.

Now if your argument is that ZENs hyperconnect is crap and will hinder performance giving the 4/8 cores a better score then ok,I can't comment on that because there is no info on that.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Well actually i dont think hyperconnect is as good as a ringbus from 4 to 8c. And neither do i think smt scales better than ht. All asumptions. But the story Canard tells cant be interpreted different. They might be wrong but what they write is straightforward that zen will shake up the market and thereby forecasting kbl core line will have a difficult time. They have a section for kbl next to zen btw.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
But the story Canard tells cant be interpreted different. They might be wrong
Even you found a way to interpreted the story differently and you didn't even try...
25% over the stock i7-6700k WITH TWICE THE THREADS isn't enough to shake any waters, even if it is priced well.
It will be a very good choice for some people, who can make use of 16 threads,but that's about it.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Even you found a way to interpreted the story differently and you didn't even try...
25% over the stock i7-6700k WITH TWICE THE THREADS isn't enough to shake any waters, even if it is priced well.
It will be a very good choice for some people, who can make use of 16 threads,but that's about it.
Write that to canard. I am not the one doing the writing saying zen will shake up the market. They did write that. Their entire frontpage on the magazine screams Intel is going down the hill and they use kbl as a product case of that. Its pages after pages of documentation. Andrei have translated the main points but everyone is free to read and judge their stuff themselves.

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Write that to canard. I am not the one doing the writing saying zen will shake up the market.
You are the one telling people to wait for zen though because of a mag that wants to sell issues,of course they will be as dramatic as possible because this is what's selling.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
You are the one telling people to wait for zen though because of a mag that wants to sell issues,of course they will be as dramatic as possible because this is what's selling.
Yes i am saying wait. Based on canard and amd own bm and promises of at least 3.4 base for 8c and what we hear from a lot of other souces with oem contacts. We are at most 2 months from knowing if this is the biggest change for cpu market the last 10 years. Giving the advice to buy a i3, i5 or i7 now without even mentioning zen is dead wrong and flat out disrespectfull imo. It might turn out to be slower or more expensive whatever but having the knowledge for buying the right product you own for perhaps 6 years is crucial. People might decide not to wait 2 months - fine - but thats their decision.

Reactions: Lodix

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I got the 7700K. I am fully aware its hardly a revolutionary upgrade from the 6700k. I am however coming from a 2500K, even then it's not vastly superior. I wanted a motherboard upgrade as well. I did a almost full system overhaul and am not upset by it. Plan to overclock some, also got the Kraken X62. There was a time I thought anything but a custom loop wasn't real watercooling and an embarrassment. I just don't care much anymore, not as much time as I once had.
2500K to 7700K should be a ~30% increase, given that it is ~25% from a 2600K.

Anandtech Skylake review, which was not the best for Skylake, so I think numbers are actually a tad better.

Overall, Skylake is not an earth shattering leap in performance. In our IPC testing, with CPUs at 3 GHz, we saw a 5.7% increase in performance over a Haswell processor at the same clockspeed and ~ 25% gains over Sandy Bridge.

vissarix

Jun 12, 2015
well the i7 7700k at stock scores 10.93 on cinebench 11.5...the i5 2500k scores 5.15...

thats more then double the performance right there, so for you is definitely a nice upgrade..

make sure to get a fast ddr4 ram 4000mhz they doesnt cost that much...add a samsungs 960pro ssd...you will have a lightning fast pc...

Whitestar127

Dec 2, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7bcjFnLib8&t
In this test Digital Foundry says it (7600) is about 35% faster than Sandy (2500) at equal freqs, but of course different RAM speeds. That should be a nice upgrade for me at least. Just like Skylake would have been.
But I might wait to see what Zen brings. Because I can, and because maybe we'll see a slight price drop? I can hope. :) Actually I hope that Zen offers 7700 comparable performance at a much lower price. Don't really care which manufacturer's name is on my chip as long as it's fast, stable and cheap-ish.

Last edited:

Jen

Elite Member
Dec 8, 1999
the 7700T now that would be a nice cpu to have for me. i love low wattage cpus.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Was squealing with excitement over the 7350k!

...then looked at the price tag.

nope. :(

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
So, I have managed to get hold of an i3-6300 and 2x4GB 2133 (dual channel) RAM. I've got a B150 motherboard on the way. I want to use Intel's iGPU for PCSX2 and casual old school gaming, which is all I do.

So far, I've tested HD 530 graphics on a DDR3 motherboard with 8GB 1600 RAM in single channel. The iGPU performance results were awful, PCSX2 throttling 15-20% on 1x scale in 640x448 window. So that was a super disappointment, but I still have hope for good performance from the RAM upgrades.

Point of this long post is, I'm thinking of buying a G4600 (HD 630) and H270 motherboard (2400 DDR4) just for the iGPU performance boost. After all, that's the one of the main benefits of Kaby Lake, a better iGPU, right?

Well, I'll continue with this expensive iGPU folly of mine, but hopefully Intel makes me a believer before Zen.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
So, I have managed to get hold of an i3-6300 and 2x4GB 2133 (dual channel) RAM. I've got a B150 motherboard on the way. I want to use Intel's iGPU for PCSX2 and casual old school gaming, which is all I do.

So far, I've tested HD 530 graphics on a DDR3 motherboard with 8GB 1600 RAM in single channel. The iGPU performance results were awful, PCSX2 throttling 15-20% on 1x scale in 640x448 window. So that was a super disappointment, but I still have hope for good performance from the RAM upgrades.

Point of this long post is, I'm thinking of buying a G4600 (HD 630) and H270 motherboard (2400 DDR4) just for the iGPU performance boost. After all, that's the one of the main benefits of Kaby Lake, a better iGPU, right?

Well, I'll continue with this expensive iGPU folly of mine, but hopefully Intel makes me a believer before Zen.

Why not buy a graphics card instead of spending money on an iGPU? o_O

Justinbaileyman

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2013
Jumping up to DDR4 2400 will kill off all that lag and throttling and even more so on even faster Ram like 3200-4000 if using the Igpu.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Why not buy a graphics card instead of spending money on an iGPU? o_O

I know, foolish and unpractical amirite?

The main answer: form factor. With an iGPU, I can have a thin mITX PC smaller than an XBOX, or a mini STX PC smaller than a Wii. With a dGPU and PSU, PC size balloons over 200% in volume.

HurleyBird

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2003
Now that Zen is known to at least clock to 3.6GHz base for the 8c/16t, buying a Kaby Lake processor is very foolish. Even if one is looking for a drop in upgrade, prices on Kaby Lake processors are likely to plummet once Zen releases.

Trolling and threadcrapping are not allowed
Markfw
Anandtech Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.