Son of a....two haircuts...two barbers commenting on my thinning hair

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
I'm 27 and have some hair thinning happening already...didn't think it was really noticeable (very early stages of widows peak) until I had two different barbers mention it to me during my last two trips to the barbershop. Already ordered Rogaine foam 3 month supply from Amazon....but I have doubts Rogaine will do anything other than maintain the hairline...not grow it back. They even state Rogaine is only clinically proven to improve the hair on the crown although a lot of user reviews say it helps them with their hair line too.

Anyone have other recommendations for someone in the initial stages of hair thinning? Other than Rogaine...I ordered some hair thinning shampoo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Not wanting to do the Propecia thing after reading the possible side effects...however remote they may be. Finasteride seems to be good for the hair too....might have to hit up the doc for a prescription. Any other suggestions from those that have/are suffering through this?

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
Just shave your head and get it over with. ;)

Are side effects really something you want to worry about when you can do that and look sexy?

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
What sucks is that I was in the military for nine years and since you have to have short haircuts...I didn't really notice it until I got out and tried to grow some hair, lol.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
What sucks is that I was in the military for nine years and since you have to have short haircuts...I didn't really notice it until I got out and tried to grow some hair, lol.

Just don't bother with it. Accept it and make the best of it...

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Yeah I know how you feel. I'm 25 and my barber 2 weeks ago told me I'm loosing hair too. Thing is there is no baldness in my family.

lykaon78

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2001
Propecia = Proscar = Finasteride

From propecia.com: PROPECIA is a prescription medicine used for the treatment of male pattern hair loss (androgenetic alopecia). It is not known if PROPECIA works for a receding hairline on either side of and above your forehead (temporal area).

Sounds like it hasn't been proven to work for your problem.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Cancel your rogaine order and just buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/OSTER-Fast-Cli...ster+fast+feed

Biggest mistake of my life (okay, maybe not, but up there) was worrying about losing my hair. Lots of morning freak outs, denial, checking to see my hair was combed "properly", etc. So liberating to just "be" bald with a shaved head.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
The ladies dig men with inferior genes, bald guys, manlets, roid addicts, ect. True story.

jae

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2001
www.facebook.com
I'm 24 with the baldness of 40 year old! I had long hair until i decided to finally to cut it '08. Everyone told ne I was thinning on the top, but I thought it was because cut it myself. After that my front started receding then literally the baldness spread all over the top. You'll get over it. Just buy some clippers and keep it cut short; You'll live.

Last edited:

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I feel for you OP. I'm pretty good looking, or at least not ugly, but my hair is thinning. Problem is I have psoriasis on my scalp and some horrendous looking moles up there (I found out when I shaved my head a few years ago), so if the hair goes I will turn into a monster. Just be lucky if you have smooth skin on your scalp

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000

Same thing with me...if I had known I would have let it grown out when I was younger and made a point of getting married. Now I'm in the damaged goods category. hahaha :biggrin: hehe :) he :| ..... :'(

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Welcome to the club.

Amen.

picard.jpg

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
Cancel your rogaine order and just buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/OSTER-Fast-Cli...ster+fast+feed

Biggest mistake of my life (okay, maybe not, but up there) was worrying about losing my hair. Lots of morning freak outs, denial, checking to see my hair was combed "properly", etc. So liberating to just "be" bald with a shaved head.

Well at least with Rogaine it should help stop it from getting worse right? I figure I'll try it out and see if it makes a difference...it has pretty decent reviews so a lot of people are noticing something, lol.

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Just walk in there with your penis hanging out next time, they'll stop commenting on your hair.

Oh, and welcome to the club btw.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
There is a solution to your problem. Begin taking testosterone blockers and Estrogen. This will halt the balding. As a fringe benefit, you will also develop breasts.

Gigity.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Well at least with Rogaine it should help stop it from getting worse right? I figure I'll try it out and see if it makes a difference...it has pretty decent reviews so a lot of people are noticing something, lol.

Your money, your life, your way of dealing with it. Rogaine's topical, so not as bad as Propecia, which may numb your balls and give you tits. Hair falls out when you stop rogaine. It's worth a shot?

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007

no. dont waste your money. even if it works, youll spend hundreds of dollars a year and if you stop at any point youll lose all your investment.

just go bald. stay healthy- thats where youll start looking like shit. most girls worry about a guys hair, most women dont. but if you dont stay healthy, youll look bad no matter how much hair you have.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
yeah...i'm losing mine too at 34. i always knew it would happen, but it sucks when it IS happening. ah well. i refuse to put rogaine in my hair twice a day and look like a greaser. and propecia, i don't want my balls to shrivel.

i went to a car dealership with my sister this weekend to buy a new car, so we were there for quite a while. eventually got around to just bs'ing with the car salesman, a black guy from the caribbean, barbados to be exact. i don't remember what we were talking about, but the discussion lead to their usage of the aloe vera plant down there as a general homeopathetic remedy for all kinds of skin conditions - burns, psoriasis, scarring, cuts, scrapes, sunburn, etc. and even balding. claimed it worked for his dad. and so reading the internet, it appears that he was telling the truth in so much that aloe vera is used often in the caribbean, and some people use it to prevent hair loss. now does it actually work? i have no idea, probably not. couldn't hurt to try, it's probably a lot safer than putting weird pharmaceutical chemicals on your head.