Son of a....two haircuts...two barbers commenting on my thinning hair

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MarkXIX

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2010
I don't have the thinning hair problem, but lately they have started buzzing the hair growing on my ears and then occasionally they will offer to throw a guard on the clippers and trim down my bush eyebrows. Hair growing in all the wrong places is just as much of a problem in my opinion.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
I don't have the thinning hair problem, but lately they have started buzzing the hair growing on my ears and then occasionally they will offer to throw a guard on the clippers and trim down my bush eyebrows. Hair growing in all the wrong places is just as much of a problem in my opinion.

True story...
I have recently noticed hair growing out of my ears...
Fucken weird...

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
34 and my fucking hair gets thicker and longer every season. I'll sell you some for like $20/inch.

seriously, it's the only part of my body worth a damn at this point. :D

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
You are also higher up on the evolution ladder so feel proud to be above those poor full head of hair people. ;)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Don't waste your money on products to regrow hair, be a man and either BIC it or use clippers and cut it as short as possible.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
don't waste money, just keep your hair short.
Most people are bald, it's just a question of getting over it.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
Well at least with Rogaine it should help stop it from getting worse right? I figure I'll try it out and see if it makes a difference...it has pretty decent reviews so a lot of people are noticing something, lol.

Honestly, it's not worth the effort. Just let it go. My hair started to thin a little in college (it's fading very slowly), and I freaked out about it for a little while before realizing that I was still getting dates. You'll find that as long as you don't obsess over it, no one else really cares.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Honestly, it's not worth the effort. Just let it go. My hair started to thin a little in college (it's fading very slowly), and I freaked out about it for a little while before realizing that I was still getting dates. You'll find that as long as you don't obsess over it, no one else really cares.

Pretty much. If you let it define you, then people will take notice.

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
I turn 29 tomorrow and I've had thinning in the front. I've started letting my wife take the clippers and do a fade style haircut; I think it looks good and I've stopped worrying about it.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
That's gotta blow. Thankfully I have thick luxurious hair. :)

I hear ya. We should start a support group. It takes forever to get a hair cut because its so thick! I see these balding guys in and out of the chair in 5 minutes while I have to wait there 20 minutes every time :colbert:

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Right before getting married a few years ago, my sister in law was cutting my hair and informed me of my thinning hair. It sucks and I wish I had more hair but it is part of getting older.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of $20 clippers to cut my own hair. I have been doing it for over a year now and all I can say is that you get used to it.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
I hear ya. We should start a support group. It takes forever to get a hair cut because its so thick! I see these balding guys in and out of the chair in 5 minutes while I have to wait there 20 minutes every time :colbert:

One thing I do like is that I do not have to find the time to drive to the barber, wait in line for the haircut, pay the person, tip them and then drive back home.

I wake up, pull out the clippers, cut it over the sink, clean up and hop in the shower.

I do not have to buy shampoo either.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I go to a old fashioned barber, I get the hot towel, a haircut and a shave. Good stuff.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Why do people think its not obvious that their haircuts are done themselves or by their girlfriend with a $20 trimmer?

Balding/thinning or not... get a decent haircut somewhere.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Thinning hair for the last 10 years. Although I've always had a widow's peak and high hairline since I was a kid. It receded a little, but not a huge amount. I did find that Rogaine did nothing for me except make my hair all sticky and slick looking all day long. As someone else mentioned it makes you look like a greaser. It is just plain nasty stuff on your head. Even when it "dries" it still makes your hair all sticky feeling and nasty feeling all day long.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'm 27 and have some hair thinning happening already...didn't think it was really noticeable (very early stages of widows peak) until I had two different barbers mention it to me during my last two trips to the barbershop. Already ordered Rogaine foam 3 month supply from Amazon....but I have doubts Rogaine will do anything other than maintain the hairline...not grow it back. They even state Rogaine is only clinically proven to improve the hair on the crown although a lot of user reviews say it helps them with their hair line too.

Anyone have other recommendations for someone in the initial stages of hair thinning? Other than Rogaine...I ordered some hair thinning shampoo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Not wanting to do the Propecia thing after reading the possible side effects...however remote they may be. Finasteride seems to be good for the hair too....might have to hit up the doc for a prescription. Any other suggestions from those that have/are suffering through this?

Propecia is just an appropriate dose of Finesteride. Get the finesteride and split the pills into quads. Propecia is like 100+ for 30 pills. While finesteride 30 pills is like 12 bucks(120 doses).

I have been taking finesteride for 3 years and saw some noticeable regrowth. I am not a full head of hair again. But it isnt as thin and some of my crown filled back in.

Finesteride helps stop DHT from attaching to the folicle which then stops it from thinning out and going dormant.

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
Not everyone looks good with a shaved head. :\

Yeah, I don't think I can pull off that look :| Apparently some people who stop using Rogaine sometimes experience massive hair loss...I guess the hair that Rogaine may regrow/keep from jumping ship will abandon ship shortly after Rogaine is discontinued. So if you use it for two years and stop...could be in for a nasty surprise in a few months when you go from thinning to balding, lol. So I guess you have to take it religiously forever to avoid that possibility:\