Son of a....two haircuts...two barbers commenting on my thinning hair

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I'm 27 and have some hair thinning happening already...didn't think it was really noticeable (very early stages of widows peak) until I had two different barbers mention it to me during my last two trips to the barbershop. Already ordered Rogaine foam 3 month supply from Amazon....but I have doubts Rogaine will do anything other than maintain the hairline...not grow it back. They even state Rogaine is only clinically proven to improve the hair on the crown although a lot of user reviews say it helps them with their hair line too.

Anyone have other recommendations for someone in the initial stages of hair thinning? Other than Rogaine...I ordered some hair thinning shampoo: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o00_s00_i00

Not wanting to do the Propecia thing after reading the possible side effects...however remote they may be. Finasteride seems to be good for the hair too....might have to hit up the doc for a prescription. Any other suggestions from those that have/are suffering through this?

Yep..it sucks. I look a bit like Will Arnett at this point. The only treatment that will stop hair loss is combining Propecia and Rogaine. Propecia is about $70/month, and Rogaine is around $40/3 month supply. Propecia can also cause kidney damage in some people, so you have to get a prescription from your doctor.

Otherwise, welcome to the world of the #2 buzz cut :)

baydude

Sep 13, 2011
Get Lipogaine topical treatment, big 3 or regenapure shampoo and a microneedle dermaroller. Take before and after pics for 6 month progress. Hair change is slow.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
From the looks of my grandpas, I'll start losing my hair in my 60's or early 70's, which I'm ok with :)

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
Right before getting married a few years ago, my sister in law was cutting my hair and informed me of my thinning hair. It sucks and I wish I had more hair but it is part of getting older.

I went to Wal-Mart and bought a pair of $20 clippers to cut my own hair. I have been doing it for over a year now and all I can say is that you get used to it.

I hope you've upgraded... Going from shitty Wal-mart grade clippers to sub-barber to barber-grade is CRAZY. My Classic 76 was over $150, but it's like cutting butter with a hot knife.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Women like bald men, no really, that's what they say to bald guys anyway, when they talk to us at all.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I hope you've upgraded... Going from shitty Wal-mart grade clippers to sub-barber to barber-grade is CRAZY. My Classic 76 was over $150, but it's like cutting butter with a hot knife.

Maybe you should think about washing your hair. Just saying.

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
I'm going to enjoy a thick and full head of hair until the day that I die.

Just thought I should announce that.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Meh, look at Anand:

Before
anandLalShimpi.jpg

Now
anand-lal-shimpi_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

He's younger than me! (30) He may be a pretty awesome guy, but man he aged badly with that balding.

Am I banned now? :(

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I'm going to enjoy a thick and full head of hair until the day that I die.

You may keep thick hair, but it will migrate from your head down to your back and ass over the years.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Women like bald men, no really, that's what they say to bald guys anyway, when they talk to us at all.

LOLOL!!!! The ladies that cut my hair say that every month :D It's like they're trained to say it.

Triumph

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Meh, look at Anand:

Before
anandLalShimpi.jpg

Now
anand-lal-shimpi_large_verge_medium_landscape.jpg

He's younger than me! (30) He may be a pretty awesome guy, but man he aged badly with that balding.

Am I banned now? :(

Weird, I haven't seen his picture in probably 10 years, and I just realized I don't even associate this forum with him anymore, haven't for a while. I can't remember the last time I read a hardware review. 1999? 2000?

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
You may keep thick hair, but it will migrate from your head down to your back and ass over the years.

Oh there's definitely more than a few sprinters that are already ahead of the pack in that direction.

SaurusX

Nov 13, 2012
I had some thinning up top when I was in my mid-twenties when I had started lifting weights and taking creatine in my after-workout shakes. Though I suspected something was up I tried to ignore it thinking that I couldn't be going bald. Then, when the barber mentioned the thinning spot I immediately cut out the creatine and my hair slowly returned to normal over the next year. I'll never touch that crap again.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Meh, look at Anand:

Before
anandLalShimpi.jpg

I remember when he did video reviews, and he was much younger than this. Probably a 15 year old kid. I remember thinking "Why am I watching some punk kid tell me about hardware?". Time sure flys by...

Last edited:

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
Well at least with Rogaine it should help stop it from getting worse right? I figure I'll try it out and see if it makes a difference...it has pretty decent reviews so a lot of people are noticing something, lol.

Propecia has better results than Rogaine statistically. The side effects are probably overblown, as rates of "sexual problems" are about on par with any aging men not using it.

Assuming either works for you, it should hold the hair you have. You will still lose hair at the temples as that is entirely unrelated to the DHT or whatever it is called that is responsible for the hair loss. Think Jude Law.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
I remember when he did video reviews, and he was much younger than this. Probably a 15 year old kid. I remember thinking "Why am I watching some punk kid tell me about hardware?". Time sure flys by...

That makes me curious. Is Anand making $$ solely from this website?

How popular is Anandtech anyways? I don't know anyone at work or friends who know it.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
That makes me curious. Is Anand making $$ solely from this website?

How popular is Anandtech anyways? I don't know anyone at work or friends who know it.

I think its probably the most trusted hardware review website. Other sites use it as a reference. I thought I remember reading a while ago, probably like 10 years or so, that Anand became a millionaire just from the website.

Anand Lal Shimpi was just 17 when he created www.anandtech.com (a tech website that reviews computer hardware) in 1997 and was already earning over $1.5 million dollars in advertising revenue that year. The site receives more than 50 million page views per month. Born June 26, 1982 to Indian and Iranian parents, Anand remains to be CEO and Editor-in-Chief of the organization which continues to be a highly successful tech business today.

http://www.joshroa.com/top-10/top-10-fastest-internet-millionaires/

Andrew111

Aug 6, 2001
I think its probably the most trusted hardware review website. Other sites use it as a reference. I thought I remember reading a while ago, probably like 10 years or so, that Anand became a millionaire just from the website.

http://www.joshroa.com/top-10/top-10-fastest-internet-millionaires/

Dang...I haven't visited the front page and actually read an Anandtech article in over 10 years I think, lol. I just checked and was surprised Anand actually did one of the articles...figured he had his underlings do all the reviews now while he takes a permanent vacation in the Bahamas or something. Anand has found the cure for baldness = money. Although I never seem him with a girl:hmm:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
Dang...I haven't visited the front page and actually read an Anandtech article in over 10 years I think, lol. I just checked and was surprised Anand actually did one of the articles...figured he had his underlings do all the reviews now while he takes a permanent vacation in the Bahamas or something. Anand has found the cure for baldness = money. Although I never seem him with a girl:hmm:

lol I'm thinking I know way too much about Anand, but he is married! If I remember correctly, a very pretty Indian or Pakistani woman. I can seem to find a pic, and I admit I dont really want to search that much for it. That would be too creepy.