Something to unify us in troubling times.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
As the devils advocate I've taken this down range with a few vegans too... To those I've spoken to it comes down to morality, cause at the end of the day if the muscle is artificially grown and never been in contact with a functioning brain .. you can eat that and still be vegan. They claim :).

That is vegetarians and not vegans though. An egg has not come in contact with a brain, yet they wont eat it. Same thing with milk.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Make no mistake, I am a juvenile twerp.

She's also quite militant with her veganism, and makes every effort to remind everyone around her at any given moment that she is vegan and eating meat is the devil's work. I probably came off a lot worse than I actually am (probably wish I was more of an ass about it), but I definitely accommodate only to the minimum level as required by expected human decency. Beyond that she's fending for herself.

Incidentally she's also very much into astrology, chinese medicine, chakras, healing thoughts, and everything else that I generally consider an assault to logic and reason. That probably contributes to my general air of discontent around the holidays.
Folks like her I will go out of my way to make fun of.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
That is vegetarians and not vegans though. An egg has not come in contact with a brain, yet they wont eat it. Same thing with milk.
I see nothing inherently wrong with consuming eggs, or dairy products, or meat for that matter.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I see nothing inherently wrong with consuming eggs, or dairy products, or meat for that matter.

Well, you are just a butcher I suppose :)

I think there are ethical ways to consume meat and other animal products. It will mean the prices rise, but, I would personally be willing to pay for it while possibly consuming less.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Well, you are just a butcher I suppose :)

I think there are ethical ways to consume meat and other animal products. It will mean the prices rise, but, I would personally be willing to pay for it while possibly consuming less.
I'm reducing my consumption of meat as well out of both health and environmental concerns.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ugh... listen to the soy boys whine in the clip below. I have to hit up this restaurant to support this guy, make a trip to Canada just to eat there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE94b05e82Q

But going to Canada would mean going to a country where health care is socialized and works better, where LGBT people are getting more respect and the ruling party actually fights racism and xenophobia instead of courting them. You'd break out in hives the moment you cross the border, there's too much compassion and intelligence there.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
But going to Canada would mean going to a country where health care is socialized and works better, where LGBT people are getting more respect and the ruling party actually fights racism and xenophobia instead of courting them. You'd break out in hives the moment you cross the border, there's too much compassion and intelligence there.

I'd be going to a country where many come to America for treatment, where LGBT people are treated the same as my country (good!), and the ruling party does what is best for their country while upholding democratic principals and western ideals (like my country). You just have better weed laws and less illegal immigration.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I'm reducing my consumption of meat as well out of both health and environmental concerns.

Its mainly that you should cut out some types of meat. You could get a huge chunk of your calories from things like lean meat such as turkey or chicken so long as you get your nutrients from other foods. Calories from meat should be no different than calories from veggies. Its just that people like to eat too many calories.

Big thing is to cut out sugar and carbs.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
You know, @SlowSpyder ... I know you're trolling, but why do you have to be such a miserable son of a bitch all the time. I'm at home sick today, took a nap shortly after my post. I didn't even bother catching up with the thread when I woke up. What the hell is the matter with you that you get enjoyment out of this sort of shit. You're a sick and very small man, enjoy your jollies from this post.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You know, @SlowSpyder ... I know you're trolling, but why do you have to be such a miserable son of a bitch all the time. I'm at home sick today, took a nap shortly after my post. I didn't even bother catching up with the thread when I woke up. What the hell is the matter with you that you get enjoyment out of this sort of shit. You're a sick and very small man, enjoy your jollies from this post.

*edit - I'm not trolling.

Last edited:

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
Another that is unable to address the subject matter. How racism towards white people is acceptable, but only white people.

You seem under the impression I have any desire to engage you on any subject. You're the guy who waltzes into a party and instantly ruins it for everyone. It is not an endearing quality, but you seem to revel in it. They say everyone's opinion has value. What they don't tell you is some people have a negative sign in front of theirs. You have a big fat one in front of yours. Filth.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You seem under the impression I have any desire to engage you on any subject. You're the guy who waltzes into a party and instantly ruins it for everyone. It is not an endearing quality, but you seem to revel in it. They say everyone's opinion has value. What they don't tell you is some people have a negative sign in front of theirs. You have a big fat one in front of yours. Filth.

What did I do here that was wrong in your mind? The OP was about how vegans would like alternative phrases to replace the current hurtful-towards-animals phrases. Certainly there is a parallel between that and gender pronouns. Also it is yet another example of liberals being offended over something benign, like Movember or the song "Baby It's Cold Outside." Today's liberals are not fighting for righteous causes as they used to in decades past, they're fighting for privilege and white guilt, they are now the group that demands conformity and pushes racist ideals. I won't stand quiet, the liberals have jumped the shark and it breaks my heart, they used to fight for such good causes. Now they've gone full retard (another word they want to do away with... feelings, yo!)

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
What did I do here that was wrong in your mind? The OP was about how vegans would like alternative phrases to replace the current hurtful-towards-animals phrases. Certainly there is a parallel between that and gender pronouns. Also it is yet another example of liberals being offended over something benign, like Movember or the song "Baby It's Cold Outside." Today's liberals are not fighting for righteous causes as they used to in decades past, they're fighting for privilege and white guilt, they are now the group that demands conformity and pushes racist ideals. I won't stand quiet, the liberals have jumped the shark and it breaks my heart, they used to fight for such good causes. Now they've gone full retard (another word they want to do away with... feelings, yo!)

You know what you did. It was a lighthearted thread, and you just couldn't resist the urge to thread crap. Maybe you could have, you know, joined in the fun. Like I said, you're the guy who waltzes into a party and ruins it for everyone. I'm of the belief that people should try to make the world a better place if only in a small way. You're the type that actively tries to make it worse for other people and that's fucked up.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Dude, that is the very far left doing that nonsense.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
You know what you did. It was a lighthearted thread, and you just couldn't resist the urge to thread crap. Maybe you could have, you know, joined in the fun. Like I said, you're the guy who waltzes into a party and ruins it for everyone. I'm of the belief that people should try to make the world a better place if only in a small way. You're the type that actively tries to make it worse for other people and that's fucked up.

After the Thanksgiving thread, I think I acted no different than others here. Sorry you're so upset over my posts, hope you have a better day.

PJFrylar

Apr 17, 2016
After the Thanksgiving thread, I think I acted no different than others here. Sorry you're so upset over my posts, hope you have a better day.

I'm not upset, and it's not just this thread. Trolling like you do just disgusts me, and I sure as shit don't need your permission to have a good day. Don't be sorry, be better.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I avoid some foods like veal for that reason. At some point, its just cruel to do that to a living creature.
I get over it by reminding myself that cows have no idea what the fuck is going on around them or what is being done to them. They really are meat popsicles.