Something to unify us in troubling times.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Wait a second. WTF is "hide the bacon"?
If that is what you're calling sex, you should see a doctor immediately. Your penis should NOT look like bacon at all.

Don't judge me. Its a side effect from an accident at the mill.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I do think we ought to be more thoughtful about what we say (i.e. don't knowingly step on a vegan's toes),
Nope. Sister-in-law is a vegan and a giant pain in the ass regarding food. I make it a point to be as offensive with my cooking as possible.

Last time they visited it was bacon and eggs every morning, and I always asked her if she wanted some.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Nope. Sister-in-law is a vegan and a giant pain in the ass regarding food. I make it a point to be as offensive with my cooking as possible.

Last time they visited it was bacon and eggs every morning, and I always asked her if she wanted some.
I don't know your sister-in-law or the history of the interaction between you two, and I do know that some militant vegans can be truly annoying, but just from this post of yours, you come across as a juvenile twerp and a true asshole.

What possible joy do you get from being such an ass?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Veganism is a choice, unlike, for example, race or sexual preference. Not really on board with the notion than one can make a choice about one's eating habits, then expect others to display special sensitivity in how they phrase things.

Oh, I agree, that's why I'm not all that adamant about it. It's more just good sense: don't feel too bad if you say something off-hand, but if you think you can say something in a more considerate way, it's probably a good idea to do that.

Now, with unchangeable traits like ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity, those are absolute... you make a conscious effort to show respect no matter what.

Reactions: Meghan54

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Oh, I agree, that's why I'm not all that adamant about it. It's more just good sense: don't feel too bad if you say something off-hand, but if you think you can say something in a more considerate way, it's probably a good idea to do that.

Now, with unchangeable traits like ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity, those are absolute... you make a conscious effort to show respect no matter what.

Right, and also, many vegans I know, and I know plenty, are quite judgmental about the way other people eat. I'm perfectly happy to show some sensitivity if they stop doing that. Gotta be a two way street.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It honestly depends on the group that I'm being inconsiderate to. For example, you would have no qualms being inconsiderate to someone like slow because of his views, but, you would care about the a person at a funeral.

The question is where to vegans fall. The average vegan I know are not bad, but, I have met many annoying assholes that try and insult you for not being vegan.

Someone that argues that I should not eat veal I can respect. Someone that says all meat is murder I think I will have trouble with.

I see what you're getting at, but as a general rule, I'd try to show respect first unless they're showing absolutely no respect to you... and even then, if you have an opportunity to show that you're the better person, do it.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I see what you're getting at, but as a general rule, I'd try to show respect first unless they're showing absolutely no respect to you... and even then, if you have an opportunity to show that you're the better person, do it.

So in other words, treat people with a baseline amount of respect as they are people. The only thing I think I would modify is the showing part. Don't do it to show you are the better person, do it to be the better person.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Seriously though, eating Bacon is a seriously inefficient energy conversion methodology. How many joules goes into making the pig? How many joules are we using transporting slicing and dicing the Bacon? How many joules are we using cooking the damned Bacon? 100g Bacon = ~40g fat and 10g protein for a total of ~400 calories or ~1600 joules.. Now take this little guy;

https://phys.org/news/2016-10-scientists-reveal-little-known-amoeba-engulfed.html

Now he has the right idea!
Imagine just going out into the sun and recharge!
Imagine just plugging into the wall and charge at the rate of 2000 joules/second, you'd have your days food ration in about 5 seconds flat - off the solars on your roof no less.

KIDDING

mmmm Bacon......

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
So in other words, treat people with a baseline amount of respect as they are people. The only thing I think I would modify is the showing part. Don't do it to show you are the better person, do it to be the better person.

That sounds right. Now, if we could only convince everyone else to act that way...

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
It honestly depends on the group that I'm being inconsiderate to. For example, you would have no qualms being inconsiderate to someone like slow because of his views, but, you would care about the a person at a funeral.

The question is where to vegans fall. The average vegan I know are not bad, but, I have met many annoying assholes that try and insult you for not being vegan.

Someone that argues that I should not eat veal I can respect. Someone that says all meat is murder I think I will have trouble with.

I don't mind if people point out that red meat isn't heart healthy, and also that eating meat is worse for global warming than eating other things. Those two things are factually true. The problem I have is when vegans insist that everyone must be a purist like they are. Eating is not religion no matter how neurotically hung up about people may be.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I don't mind if people point out that red meat isn't heart healthy, and also that eating meat is worse for global warming than eating other things. Those two things are factually true. The problem I have is when vegans insist that everyone must be a purist like they are. Eating is not religion no matter how neurotically hung up about people may be.

Many that I talk to are vegans because of compassion for animals. So that brings the conversation into the sphere of morality which is murky at best.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Many that I talk to are vegans because of compassion for animals. So that brings the conversation into the sphere of morality which is murky at best.

I do strongly agree with the concerns over the factory farming of animals and the much higher then necessary meat consumption of the Standard American Diet, however their is no way I would be a strict vegan let alone doing nonsense PETA is promoting.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008

As the devils advocate I've taken this down range with a few vegans too... To those I've spoken to it comes down to morality, cause at the end of the day if the muscle is artificially grown and never been in contact with a functioning brain .. you can eat that and still be vegan. They claim :).

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I don't know your sister-in-law or the history of the interaction between you two, and I do know that some militant vegans can be truly annoying, but just from this post of yours, you come across as a juvenile twerp and a true asshole.

What possible joy do you get from being such an ass?
Make no mistake, I am a juvenile twerp.

She's also quite militant with her veganism, and makes every effort to remind everyone around her at any given moment that she is vegan and eating meat is the devil's work. I probably came off a lot worse than I actually am (probably wish I was more of an ass about it), but I definitely accommodate only to the minimum level as required by expected human decency. Beyond that she's fending for herself.

Incidentally she's also very much into astrology, chinese medicine, chakras, healing thoughts, and everything else that I generally consider an assault to logic and reason. That probably contributes to my general air of discontent around the holidays.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I do strongly agree with the concerns over the factory farming of animals and the much higher then necessary meat consumption of the Standard American Diet, however their is no way I would be a strict vegan let alone doing nonsense PETA is promoting.

I avoid some foods like veal for that reason. At some point, its just cruel to do that to a living creature.