Something is happening with Baldur's Gate! *Update* Ipad *cough*

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Fighter.

Easiest for noobs. Best selection of equipment, dont have to monitor too many special abilities.

Also, if you have the full version of both games, you can use Tutu to run the first game in the 2nd engine. Which means access to the character class kits, and a bunch of other features.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
How well does BG:EE run with modern, high resolution displays? Or do you have use the old wide screen hack tool? :/

Borealis7

Platinum Member
Oct 19, 2006
i'm already having Wyvern flashbacks. they are the 2nd worst flashback - after Cliff Racers!

not again! noooooooooo

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I played a rogue, or was it a monk, I don't remember but it had a 1 hit kill move. I tried that on a dragon, if I failed, i would reload. Repeat until success, easiest dragon kill ever :)

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I played a rogue, or was it a monk, I don't remember but it had a 1 hit kill move. I tried that on a dragon, if I failed, i would reload. Repeat until success, easiest dragon kill ever :)

Um, if you had to reload multiple times, I don't count that as the 'Easiest'. Just saying.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Lol. That is awesome. Just a complete joke of an option screen.

I wonder why they gave that one option its own screen, rather than roll it into another option screen with other options? It seems so inefficient this way.

They will offer more options via DLC! :D

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
How well does BG:EE run with modern, high resolution displays? Or do you have use the old wide screen hack tool? :/

Wide screen support is built in. Windowed mode works too, it automatically adjusts as you move the window with your mouse. Odd that it doesn't show the resolution options in the game though...

Madia

May 2, 2006
Fighter.

Easiest for noobs. Best selection of equipment, dont have to monitor too many special abilities.

I just picked up the Enhanced edition and they actually have Berserkers. Should I pick him or just go with the vanilla fighter?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Does the EE version include the addon (tales of the swords coast )

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I'm thinking of buying it,how bad are the bugs I keep hearing about?...read one review and they said don't buy it,so seems like its getting very mixed feedback,however more towards the positive.

I'm a fan of BG series.

Last edited:

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
I'm not seeing a lot of point in getting this for the PC if you have the originals.

If you don't mind tinkering there's not that much point in getting it for mobile devices either (its not that hard to get running).

For 10 bucks on IOS, I'd like to buy it, because it sends a message to the gaming community that we gamers would like to see more serious games on the platform, and these guys have my support.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
For 10 bucks on IOS, I'd like to buy it, because it sends a message to the gaming community that we gamers would like to see more serious games on the platform, and these guys have my support.

It just sends me the message that we are happy to buy the same thing over and over just repackaged for our new devices.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
It just sends me the message that we are happy to buy the same thing over and over just repackaged for our new devices.

Yeah, jailbreaking your tablet just so you can run a game you bought 10 years ago says you're a cheap mother fucker.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Yeah, jailbreaking your tablet just so you can run a game you bought 10 years ago says you're a cheap mother fucker.

What is this jailbreak you speak of?

*not my fault that your tablet is gimped, no need to be cross with me*

Plus I get to run BG, BG2, ID, ID2, PT, etc

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
I'm not seeing a lot of point in getting this for the PC if you have the originals.

If you don't mind tinkering there's not that much point in getting it for mobile devices either (its not that hard to get running).

I have the originals, but even dealing with the install media is enough of a pain to warrant dropping at least $10 at GoG for a digital version just to avoid the hassle. Also, they've said that if the rereleases do well, they'll probably make a BG3.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I have the originals, but even dealing with the install media is enough of a pain to warrant dropping at least $10 at GoG for a digital version just to avoid the hassle. Also, they've said that if the rereleases do well, they'll probably make a BG3.

If they didn't make enough out of the originals to make BG3 I can't see them making it now.

All said, as much as I loved them (and I own all the bioware isometric games and expansions) they are more suited to sitting at your desk playing on a PC than pick up and put down play on a tablet.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
If they didn't make enough out of the originals to make BG3 I can't see them making it now.

All said, as much as I loved them (and I own all the bioware isometric games and expansions) they are more suited to sitting at your desk playing on a PC than pick up and put down play on a tablet.

Is that so, because I look forward to laying on my couch and playing BG on my iPad.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006

Um, how many times have you bought the Beatles White Album (or pick an album you like from a band that you enjoy)? Record, Caset tape, CD, Itunes/MP3? Just saying.

But I do kind of agree with you. I don't see a huge amount of extra content to justify purchasing the game again. And I don't see a huge market wanting to play a 15 year old game on a tablet. And I am firmly of the opinion that the benefit of porting to a mobile device is tangential at best.

On the other side of it, I drop $20 on lunch, so it isn't like it is going to break the bank. maybe not everyone will see it that way, but..... And considering that the game has had a huge and vocal following since it's release. I am thinking that in itself might stimulate profits. Depending on the business model that they use, there actually might be a cost benefit in making BG3....

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Is that so, because I look forward to laying on my couch and playing BG on my iPad.

Good, and I hope you enjoy it.

It's just the very slow pacing and large game area combined with the sometimes very tricky battles don't really suit casual gaming.