Something is happening with Baldur's Gate! *Update* Ipad *cough*

Page 14 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
yeah, I saw that. Which really makes me wonder why they even posted the more cartoony ones on their home page.

In any event, I guess we will see one way or the other in September.

Just to have another picture? Does there need to be an in-depth reason? lol

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Just to have another picture? Does there need to be an in-depth reason? lol

There does "IF" it is indicative of the "New" art direction that they were espousing just a few months back.

Just saying that "If" the profile pics posted on their main screen ended up being the ones that were used for profile pics, i would have had problems with the "New Cartoony" direction of the art. and I still have issue because they wouldn't have developed the new look unless they planned on using it, somewhere in the game or promotional material.

But I do admit that I am less turned off after realizing that the profile pics (at least) appear to be relatively on par with previous artwork.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
They could make the portraits straight up anime and I wouldn't care, thankfully the game itself is beautiful 2D art that they cannot change.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
They could make the portraits straight up anime and I wouldn't care, thankfully the game itself is beautiful 2D art that they cannot change.

That's great that you don't care. Personally, when DA2 took the more cartoony art direction, I saw that as a really bad decision. Of course, they made MUCH worse decisions in the development of that game. I just don't want to see one of my all time favorite games get damaged in even that small degree.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
That's great that you don't care. Personally, when DA2 took the more cartoony art direction, I saw that as a really bad decision. Of course, they made MUCH worse decisions in the development of that game. I just don't want to see one of my all time favorite games get damaged in even that small degree.

The cartoony art direction was bad because it wasn't just a portrait, it was in-game. They can't do that with Baldur's Gate. The game's art has long since been established, they're only adding onto the game not making a new one.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
The cartoony art direction was bad because it wasn't just a portrait, it was in-game. They can't do that with Baldur's Gate. The game's art has long since been established, they're only adding onto the game not making a new one.

Depends on what you mean by "In game". Admittedly the character avatar and animations aren't going to change. But then they are so low res, that most players rely upon the portrait as their 'View' of the characters. And the Portraits are actually displayed along the right hand side "In game" anyway. So, yes. A change in the art direction that impacted "Only" the portraits, would directly impact "in game".

Just to be clear, this is very minor. And largely a non issue with the release of the second set of portraits. Just saying, I am glad they didn't make the change I feared they might. But it does make me wonder considering how they hyped bringing on board the new artist for a new art direction. Makes me wonder what actually did change.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I will be honest and say the pictures don't look any more cartoony at all to me.

Plus the picture of Imoen looks EXACTLY the same as the picture in the original and the one carried over to NWN as well. I really don't see the big difference in any of the characters.

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
LOL. Three days before release date and NOW they tell us.

I have no problems with a delay and it is good to see them taking their time to get it right, but surely they knew about this weeks ago.

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
LOL. Three days before release date and NOW they tell us.

I have no problems with a delay and it is good to see them taking their time to get it right, but surely they knew about this weeks ago.
Yeah, delaying it now seems pretty unprofessional. Of course it's better than releasing it unfinished, but some foresight would certainly have helped avoid this.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I've already played it almost 20 times (twice with each major class, covered almost all the kits except the boring ones).
I can wait. Its not like I'm in dire need to play it.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Yeah, delaying it now seems pretty unprofessional. Of course it's better than releasing it unfinished, but some foresight would certainly have helped avoid this.

I am actually not surprised about the timing of the delay. I am guessing that they provided their release candidate for review and the review board rejected it. They made some recommendations on changes and the development team are going back to the drawing board. it probably happens more often than you might imagine this way. And so long as they don't miss the holiday rush, they probably aren't too worried.

Still, it makes me wonder what they could be changing that took almost a full year to fix up.

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
I am actually not surprised about the timing of the delay. I am guessing that they provided their release candidate for review and the review board rejected it. They made some recommendations on changes and the development team are going back to the drawing board. it probably happens more often than you might imagine this way. And so long as they don't miss the holiday rush, they probably aren't too worried.

Still, it makes me wonder what they could be changing that took almost a full year to fix up.

I'm guessing that they spent a lot of time fixing things that are currently fixed with 3rd party adddons but had to do it themselves instead of jacking somebody elses work.

I really wish they would have taken this a step further than they did and re-made the game in a new engine. If they plan on doing a BG3 some day they'll probably want a new engine anyways, why not start now? It would be easier to do all this stuff they plan on doing with a solid engine in place and probably grab a lot more customers in the process.

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
I'm guessing that they spent a lot of time fixing things that are currently fixed with 3rd party adddons but had to do it themselves instead of jacking somebody elses work.

I really wish they would have taken this a step further than they did and re-made the game in a new engine. If they plan on doing a BG3 some day they'll probably want a new engine anyways, why not start now? It would be easier to do all this stuff they plan on doing with a solid engine in place and probably grab a lot more customers in the process.

I would speculate that this is a test. They wanted to see if it is commercially viable before they go to all the extra trouble of making/using a new engine. If they make enough of a profit, then and only then will they consider IF they are going to make another game (BG3 or otherwise).

GWestphal

Golden Member
Jul 22, 2009
It doesn't look like they enhanced the graphics much. I think porting it to the NWN engine would have been nice. It looks like all they added graphically was shadows...

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999
200px-Minsc.jpg

"Has anyone seen Richard Gere?"

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Gah wish the iPad version was out today also.

When's it coming out? Damn, I was hoping to have this game for my trip.

website says november!

http://www.baldursgate.com/ipad.en.html

The revamped Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition was supposed to launch today for iThings alongside its PC counterpart, but a last crash bug in the final build has seen it held up. It'll probably be next week before you can return to the Forgotten Realms on your iPad, developer Overhaul Games predicts.

"The iOS build is not approved," creative director Trent Oster said on Twitter. "We've found a crash bug and had to re-submit, which pushes us to the back of the line. I'd guess next week."

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Still nothing on their site, just telling you to preload for the launch day which is supposed to be today...

Kalmah

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2003
Still nothing on their site, just telling you to preload for the launch day which is supposed to be today...

Yeah, preload with no dates attached. When you follow the links it leads to a "503 service unavailable" error. I wonder if they are stumbling over themselves to fix something in the last minute?