Someone try to explain to me how the Gray family deserves 6.4M?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Feb 16, 2005
OK how about this. The city is required to designate 6.4 M in making things better instead of UNJUSTIFIED ENRICHING a useless group of people!

So good of you to pass your judgement on. You sir, are an asshole.

post-30678-pardon-my-french-but-youre-an-azro.gif

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
OK how about this. The city is required to designate 6.4 M in making things better instead of UNJUSTIFIED ENRICHING a useless group of people!

Remember, steppinthrax isn't smart enough to understand what punitive means, but somehow thinks he can judge others.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Remember, steppinthrax isn't smart enough to understand what punitive means, but somehow thinks he can judge others.

The understanding of "punitive damages" is not the issue I have. The issue I have is giving money to people the are more/less PART OF THE PROBLEM.

I agree that the city needs punishment. But who is actually benefiting from this action (distribution of money). NO ONE.

Will the city actually learn. HELL NO.

I think behind closed doors, everyone (hands down) know these type of people are not going to do anything useful with the money. Nor will it every matter.

Whatever you wish to argue you meant, what you wrote about a family you don't know except for their race is unacceptable.

Perknose
Forum Director

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The understanding of "punitive damages" is not the issue I have. The issue I have is giving money to people the are more/less PART OF THE PROBLEM.

I agree that the city needs punishment. But who is actually benefiting from this action (distribution of money). NO ONE.

I think behind closed doors, everyone (hands down) know these type of people are not going to do anything useful with the money. Nor will it every matter.

So you're mad that the family of a victim murdered by the city got money because you think they are the wrong kind of people.

That's really, really gross.

Feb 16, 2005

well at least you proudly wear your racism on your sleeve.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
This...seems that we seem to keep picking up more and more racists and bigots around here.

When people can do a google search and find other crazy fucks they tend to clump together. Thats why I have said and will say this forum should be private like the L&R forum. So we dont get more crazy here.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
http://news.yahoo.com/freddie-grays-family-settles-city-6-4m-145735914.html

This guy was a criminal. He had no commercial value before his arrest and probably would have the same if he never died...

From the same article:

The city paid another $5.8 million for legal fees to outside lawyers who represented officers, the newspaper reported.

Why the hell should the city pay $5.8 million in legal fees to outside lawyers to defend cops who violate peoples civil rights?

BTW, since when did we value human life by a persons "commercial value". Nikola Tesla died penniless so if he was killed 20 years prior would you say he had no commercial value?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
It still stings to see the family of a violent douchebag criminal getting paid more than I will accumulate over a lifetime of productive work and diligent saving.

Well if the police unjustly kill you then we now know that you personally believe that your family deserves much less.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
When people can do a google search and find other crazy fucks they tend to clump together. Thats why I have said and will say this forum should be private like the L&R forum. So we dont get more crazy here.

I've always said this entire sub forum should be deleted, for basically the same reasons.....it just invites racists, bigots, trolls, to come and post their crap.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've always said this entire sub forum should be deleted, for basically the same reasons.....it just invites racists, bigots, trolls, to come and post their crap.

What about those of us for are not those things you listed? If you think this forum is so horrible, don't come to it. There are plenty of other sections to choose from.

GarfieldtheCat

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2005
What about those of us for are not those things you listed? If you think this forum is so horrible, don't come to it. There are plenty of other sections to choose from.

Those of us that don't like to proudly display racism and bigotry can go to the moderated discussion club at that point.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Well if the police unjustly kill you then we now know that you personally believe that your family deserves much less.

Ah there is the rub, I am not a violent douchebag with a criminal record. I had a second cousin who was a violent douchebag with a criminal record. He broke into a bar and was gunned down and killed while burglarizing it (this was in the 1970s). He was unarmed at the time. The family never sued and the general consensus was that he got what he had coming.

Generally I have little sympathy for felons who are killed in the commission of a crime. It is part of the risk of their chosen occupation. This case may be slightly different in that the felon killed was not in the commission of a crime. Furthermore, it is obviously unacceptable for police to put people within their custody in physical danger.

Please remember that this felon was charged with 2 assaults. I would hope that the victims of those assaults would now sue this felon's estate to get restitution for the injuries they received from him. I am relatively confident he was previously unable to compensate them for the injuries he inflicted.

My family will be taken care of when I die. I have fininacially planned for it. I would MUCH MUCH MUCH rather see the cops who wrongfully killed me, fired and/or prosecuted than a financial settlement. It seems counterproductive to write a check and then let the violent cops back out on the street with a slap of the wrist. Financial settlements do NOTHING to change cop behaviour, THEY aren't paying for it after all, the taxpayers are. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The punitive damages don't mean a god damned thing in cases of governments.... not a single god damned thing.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2007
This case may be slightly different in that the felon killed was not in the commission of a crime. Furthermore, it is obviously unacceptable for police to put people within their custody in physical danger.

Please remember that this felon was charged with 2 assaults.

Who cares what he was charged with? The Unabomber was charged with multiple murders; the police who picked him up managed to get him to court without killing him. It's not the place of the police to dole out punishment based on their perception of what someone "deserves." He's in custody, he's no longer a threat to anyone, get him safely to court so he can be tried and presumably found guilty and receive his sentence. These police officers violated the social contract; the expectation that police are there to protect citizens, not punish bad guys without due process. Considering the nature of the victim before passing judgment is no better than saying women who dress slutty are asking to be raped.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Who cares what he was charged with? The Unabomber was charged with multiple murders; the police who picked him up managed to get him to court without killing him. It's not the place of the police to dole out punishment based on their perception of what someone "deserves." He's in custody, he's no longer a threat to anyone, get him safely to court so he can be tried and presumably found guilty and receive his sentence. These police officers violated the social contract; the expectation that police are there to protect citizens, not punish bad guys without due process. Considering the nature of the victim before passing judgment is no better than saying women who dress slutty are asking to be raped.

Um... that is why I did the whole bit on prosecute/fire the offending officers....

Feb 6, 2007
Um... that is why I did the whole bit on prosecute/fire the offending officers....

But you're still blaming the victim and going on and on about how little his life is worth... Who gives a shit? "Well, at least they didn't kill someone important" is not a great view to have when considering a serious abuse of authority.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
But you're still blaming the victim and going on and on about how little his life is worth... Who gives a shit? "Well, at least they didn't kill someone important" is not a great view to have when considering a serious abuse of authority.

I can't help it. In many ways I am a very very little spiteful petty man. For whatever reason, it sticks in my craw that a violent felon who spent his life involved in crime is leaving his family with far more wealth than I will be able to after a lifetime of scrupulous saving. If I had 20 million or so in the bank, I am sure my opinion would certainly be different. As it is, why should his life be valued more than mine? I have taken care of a family, been responsible and not broken the law and yet in the end his life is worth more than mine. I don't like the implication.

Feb 6, 2007
I can't help it. In many ways I am a very very little spiteful petty man. For whatever reason, it sticks in my craw that a violent felon who spent his life involved in crime is leaving his family with far more wealth than I will be able to after a lifetime of scrupulous saving. If I had 20 million or so in the bank, I am sure my opinion would certainly be different. As it is, why should his life be valued more than mine? I have taken care of a family, been responsible and not broken the law and yet in the end his life is worth more than mine. I don't like the implication.

Stop considering the payment as indicative of what he was "worth"; it's a punishment for the police department that exercised incredibly poor judgment with someone in their custody resulting in his untimely death. If it's any consolation, I'm sure you'd fetch even more in similar circumstances... though I don't think you'd ever want to be in similar circumstances.