Someone try to explain to me how the Gray family deserves 6.4M?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
LOL

The police did wrong. But I don't feel that equates to 6.4M. In addition I think I said (more than once) that I used to live in Baltimore for 10 years or so. I know the "asshat" way of life down there and the thinking.

This person is not worth 6.4M in any way shape or form.

Well, reality says otherwise. I'm sure if one of your family members was killed in custody you'd be glad to have people saying how little they are worth. I'm sure the number would be low though.

Feb 10, 2000
I must admit I find the number pretty eye-watering. By all accounts Baltimore has long has problems with its police department, and based on what I know of the case the city would likely have lost at trial, but I have a hard time seeing how a jury would realistically have reached such a high number. In fairness juries in Minnesota (where I practice) tend to be pretty tight with a buck, but this would be a record-shattering verdict in my state.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Well, reality says otherwise. I'm sure if one of your family members was killed in custody you'd be glad to have people saying how little they are worth. I'm sure the number would be low though.

I don't have any family members with a violent criminal record so the point isn't really appropriate. If a life of violent crime is chosen as an occupation, death is not an unforseen or uncommon consequence. While Freddy did not deserve to die, he was a reprehensible individual that brought no benefit to society and had no redeeming qualities. His family has been enriched from this shitbag's untimely death, that is enough. I won't be pretend that society lost a thing by his demise.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
LOL

The police did wrong. But I don't feel that equates to 6.4M. In addition I think I said (more than once) that I used to live in Baltimore for 10 years or so. I know the "asshat" way of life down there and the thinking.

This person is not worth 6.4M in any way shape or form.

To some, there is not an amount of money to replace a person.

6.4 is not about quantifying the value of the person lost. Its about punishing a city that has not been active in keeping their police in line.

The money is about punishment to the city.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013

6.4 is not about quantifying the value of the person lost. Its about punishing a city that has not been active in keeping their police in line.

It still stings to see the family of a violent douchebag criminal getting paid more than I will accumulate over a lifetime of productive work and diligent saving.

Feb 6, 2007
It still stings to see the family of a violent douchebag criminal getting paid more than I will accumulate over a lifetime of productive work and diligent saving.

Well keep your fingers crossed; maybe one of your loved ones can be the victim of government abuse, die from it, and you can get paid too! Wouldn't that be lucky?

Feb 10, 2000

The problem, of course, is that these kinds of enormous payments don't come from the involved officers, or even from their department. They come from the taxpayers, who have little or no ability to regulate the conduct of their police.

AHamick

Nov 3, 2008
The problem, of course, is that these kinds of enormous payments don't come from the involved officers, or even from their department. They come from the taxpayers, who have little or no ability to regulate the conduct of their police.
Thats usually because those filing the lawsuit know the city can and will pay much more than individual officers. You want 6.4 mil from a beat cop? The cop will die of natural causes before you even see half of that.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

Little or no ability to regulate a government? Police can still be held accountable for their actions with elections and political pressure. I am for small government, but others are not. One of the very reasons I am for small government is because of situations like this.

But, assuming that government will stay large, it then becomes a burden of its people to run and control it. You can still elect people. You can make petition, do protests ect. People want a large government but dont want to take care of it.

Good, its supposed to sting enough to get you to do something about it. If you dont like the situation, then do something. Maybe if you make the sting big enough, we can get change. Sounds like you are jealous of others. Better suck it up because life is not fair. So either do something to improve it, or accept it.

I think people have gotten stuck in the idea that the government regulates itself and we can set it up and leave it be. Well, people run the government, and you would not trust people, so why would you trust government?

Feb 10, 2000
Thats usually because those filing the lawsuit know the city can and will pay much more than individual officers. You want 6.4 mil from a beat cop? The cop will die of natural causes before you even see half of that.

Actually it's considerably simpler than that - the department will always indemnify and defend the officer. In many/most states an employer is legally obligated to indemnify employees for lawsuits brought based on their conduct in the course and scope of their employment. The lone exception would be a suit based on something that was totally unrelated to the officer's duties.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
I don't have any family members with a violent criminal record so the point isn't really appropriate. If a life of violent crime is chosen as an occupation, death is not an unforseen or uncommon consequence. While Freddy did not deserve to die, he was a reprehensible individual that brought no benefit to society and had no redeeming qualities. His family has been enriched from this shitbag's untimely death, that is enough. I won't be pretend that society lost a thing by his demise.

Its funny you somehow pretend that you or your worthless family is worth anything.

What violent crimes was he accused of, I see some minor possession charges. Oh right, its just you making shit up.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Its funny you somehow pretend that you or your worthless family is worth anything.

What violent crimes was he accused of, I see some minor possession charges. Oh right, its just you making shit up.

Frankly I don't know a damn thing about the story. I assumed he was a violent felon. If I was wrong, I sincerely apologize. If he only had minor possession charges (a crime with no victim) in his background, that certainly changes my opinion on the tragedy.

You should know by now that I spout shit off all the time about things I know nothing about. I am far far far from being the most informed poster on this forum. For me, it is much easier to bloviate than research.

Feb 16, 2005
<snip>

You should know by now that I spout shit off all the time about things I know nothing about. I am far far far from being the most informed poster on this forum. For me, it is much easier to bloviate than research.

trumplestiltskin, is this your secret ATP&N account?

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I know this is 'murica and all, but should we really determine a person's worth by their "commercial value"?
Good point.

Though I'd say it isn't that the Gray family deserves to get $6.4M, it's that the city deserves to pay $6.4M.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
trumplestiltskin, is this your secret ATP&N account?

Rofl! Good 'un!

Unfortunately people at his level lack the honesty to admit they are full of shit. As one of the little people, it is very easy for me to concede that I am an unsubstantial blowhard.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
I must admit I find the number pretty eye-watering. By all accounts Baltimore has long has problems with its police department, and based on what I know of the case the city would likely have lost at trial, but I have a hard time seeing how a jury would realistically have reached such a high number. In fairness juries in Minnesota (where I practice) tend to be pretty tight with a buck, but this would be a record-shattering verdict in my state.

You guys are all looking at this wrong. You are assuming that the payout was strictly to compensate the family and/or punish the cops. Neither of these was accomplished.

Think about it this way: there is likely a lot of unpleasant evidence that would come out during a civil trial. Evidence of dirty behavior would be revealed, patterns of corruption and brutality would be made known, and many individual cops and police brass might come out of it looking rotten to their dirty evil cores. And it would all be made public knowledge if there were a trial.

Police departments will often settle a civil case like this for far more money than they would actually lose in a trial, just to keep their shit hidden. Transparency, accountability to the public, and being held to a higher standard are all concepts that police talk big talk about, but in reality they tend to avoid these things at all costs. Even at the cost of $6.4M. They think it is worth it. Let that sink in for a minute.

Venix

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2002

His arrest record includes assault, burglary, malicious destruction of property, dealing drugs, and trespassing. Most of the more serious charges were laid only a few months before his death.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006

Yep,

My wife, I etc don't have criminal records and contribute to society in the form of taxes etc....