Someone try to explain to me how the Gray family deserves 6.4M?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Punitive damages. They are designed to deter future actions. Like in this case, tossing a guy into a van unrestrained, giving him a rough ride, then denying treatment while he dies.

I have my doubts that shitty police department will learn.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-cuz-sure-just-months-death-Freddie-Gray.html

But maybe if a couple of those shitbags that were indicted go to jail it will send a message to stop abusing the public. One can hope.

Nov 8, 2012
$6.4M from the city. Boy oh boy, that's going to help bring that cestpool city back up to middle class levels.

Everyone should go thank them for the increase in tax rates they are going to have.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
$6.4M from the city. Boy oh boy, that's going to help bring that cestpool city back up to middle class levels.

Everyone should go thank them for the increase in tax rates they are going to have.

By "them" you mean the police department, right?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

I agree, they should go thank their police department for costing them 6.4 million.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Punitive damages. They are designed to deter future actions. Like in this case, tossing a guy into a van unrestrained, giving him a rough ride, then denying treatment while he dies.

I have my doubts that shitty police department will learn.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-cuz-sure-just-months-death-Freddie-Gray.html

But maybe if a couple of those shitbags that were indicted go to jail it will send a message to stop abusing the public. One can hope.

How would that deter them when the individuals resp for this "mistake" are not directly punished. I'm sure you have a few blackhats that are being paid the same ever since...

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006

Crazy thing is you know this family won't know how to handle this kind of money. They are going to spend it on shoes, TVs, cars and BS.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I know this is 'murica and all, but should we really determine a person's worth by their "commercial value"?

You look at his/her education/skillset/occupation.

In Freddie Gray's case it's NONE/NONE/NONE

So you give the family a minimal amount.....

I'm not saying the cops and procedures were good. Wrong was done, but it doesn't equate to 6.4M....

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
How would that deter them when the individuals resp for this "mistake" are not directly punished. I'm sure you have a few blackhats that are being paid the same ever since...

It is supposed to motivate the city and or tax payers to clean up the police department.
As for detering individuals? Get these cops put in jail for their actions and it should help clean it up a bit.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
It is supposed to motivate the city and or tax payers to clean up the police department.
As for detering individuals? Get these cops put in jail for their actions and it should help clean it up a bit.

Question again.

How will it????

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
And so what if they do?

It's up to them how they spend it, it's their money. But if you look at the "problems" of Baltimore. This is the mindset of the individuals. People who see more value in a pair of Jordans than a college degree.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You look at his/her education/skillset/occupation.

In Freddie Gray's case it's NONE/NONE/NONE

So you give the family a minimal amount.....

I'm not saying the cops and procedures were good. Wrong was done, but it doesn't equate to 6.4M....

You understand the difference between compensatory and punitive damages right? One deals with his education, potential worth. The other deals with punishing the offender.

What the Baltimore police department did to him is worth 6.4 million. Why? Because that is what the city and the family agreed it was worth.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
You understand the difference between compensatory and punitive damages right? One deals with his education, potential worth. The other deals with punishing the offender.

What the Baltimore police department did to him is worth 6.4 million. Why? Because that is what the city and the family agreed it was worth.

Whatever....

In my mind the most I would have awarded is 50K take it or leave it....

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
I know this is 'murica and all, but should we really determine a person's worth by their "commercial value"?

When a service member dies, the person directed gets 400k. Seems pretty even right? It'll never happen, but I'd be ok with someone's family being paid for the worth of the person who died. But that would be incredibly hard to do, and will never happen.

They'll blow through whatever the amount is they get, and be back on EBT cards, section 8 and food stamps before long.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It's up to them how they spend it, it's their money. But if you look at the "problems" of Baltimore. This is the mindset of the individuals. People who see more value in a pair of Jordans than a college degree.

Ok, thanks for your opinion...

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
If a cop sees another cop tossed in jail for bad behavior. Unless that cop is an idiot self preservation will steer their behavior to not commit a crime.

This isnt rocket science.

The problem with the police dept is not only bad cops. It's a systemic failure. Like HIV (widespread). I honestly don't feel this will help much....

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
The problem with the police dept is not only bad cops. It's a systemic failure. Like HIV (widespread). I honestly don't feel this will help much....

The combination of criminal and civil proceedings should change police policy. If it doesnt then the city will be right back in court at some point in the future. Either way the award is agreed upon by both parties.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
When a service member dies, the person directed gets 400k. Seems pretty even right? It'll never happen, but I'd be ok with someone's family being paid for the worth of the person who died. But that would be incredibly hard to do, and will never happen.

They'll blow through whatever the amount is they get, and be back on EBT cards, section 8 and food stamps before long.

They will once again be our problem....