Some polls now have Romney ahead.

Discussion in 'Politics and News' started by Matt1970, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Doppel

Doppel Lifer

Yes and on CNN it also claims the race is tied. It is like Ignoring the fact that in a car race one guy is two laps ahead of the other but saying the race is tied because both cars have equally loud engines.

The race is not tied up. Tied up indicates an equal standing and there isn't one. National polling is irrelevant. I know you have been told this and you know it but since you insist on still touting its relevance you will just have to see why, for real, on Tuesday.

2. buckshot24

buckshot24 Diamond Member

Sigh...

Who the * was saying anything about the state of the race based upon that poll? -over the line, sorry-. Assumption is the mother of all * ups, and you're fucking up.

I'm talking about the internals of that poll. They have 41% Democrats and 30% Republicans and THEY have the two candidates tied IN THEIR FUCKING POLL. That's the only significance it has to me. If you have something to say about that, please do.

#1302 buckshot24, Nov 4, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  3. TraumaRN

TraumaRN Diamond Member

So apparently republicans and the Koch brothers are desparate to make things look better for them. American Future Fund was part of a poll in Minnesota that shows Romney up by one. Thing is AFF is a strongly republican organization. Somebody is flailing for headlines.

4. buckshot24

PPP is a poll owned by the Daily Kos should we disregard their results?

5. rockyct

rockyct Diamond Member

6. DrPizza

DrPizza Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
    Administrator

7. Balt

Balt Lifer

It keeps him on the air with Fox News. That's what he gains.

8. buckshot24

9. TraumaRN

TraumaRN Diamond Member

I'm saying take the survey with a gigantic grain of salt. PPP has a known D lean. This poll when digging behind who funded is ridiculously Republican. I mean that in a way that this poll could practically be funded by the RNC.

10. First

First Diamond Member

Just released today, PPP has Obama up 4 in Virginia and up 5 in Ohio.

Poll after poll showing showing the same thing.

11. Capt Caveman

Capt Caveman Lifer

12. First

First Diamond Member

13. jpeyton

jpeyton Moderator <BR> SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones

My prediction is that this election will finally validate Silver as a God amongst mere pollsters.

Lord knows this wasn't an easy election to predict, with big October swings and Romney leading for weeks in the national polls.

But 48 hours from election day, both the state polls and national polls are falling in line with Silver's predictions (that he made in advance of the current trends).

#1313 jpeyton, Nov 5, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  14. OneOfTheseDays

OneOfTheseDays Diamond Member

This has definitely not been an easy election to predict, and if Obama wins we will likely see Nate Silver rise above the fray as the undisputed king of election forecasting.

My predictions all along have been the following:

-Obama wins reelection
    -Dems pickup a few more Senate seats and retain majority
    -Dems pickup a few more House seats, Republicans retain majority

All in all a net loss for the GOP. Hopefully this sends a strong signal to the GOP to stop their obstructionist ways and get back to governance, but you never know. They may just want to run their party dead into the ground.

15. bunnyfubbles

bunnyfubbles Lifer

considering how trash both parties are right now, I wouldn't mind if one of them dies so the other can die as well

16. rockyct

rockyct Diamond Member

I think Nate's only really special because he uses statistics to get a result and then publicly stands behind that result. He's also not a journalist so he doesn't have to look impartial when there is a clear but not huge favorite. Asking a journalist who's gong to win an election when the candidates are less than 10 points apart was, and still is, a fairly stupid question.

17. jpeyton

Ram it through like Obamacare.

No need to worry about re-election in 2016. Shove those millionaire tax breaks up the GOP's asses.

18. Farang

Farang Lifer

If Silver is vindicated, journalists should face hard questions as to their coverage. As the race stands Obama is clearly the favorite by any measurable metric but only a few pundits have been willing to say it. The media has felt obligated to call it a toss-up because of the usual 'he said she said' approach where they think presenting both sides evenly means they are doing they're job.

The media needs to serve to public again rather than just being the filter through which both sides spew their rhetoric, if only in equal amounts.

19. uclaLabrat

uclaLabrat Diamond Member

I liked that article a lot, I hope Obama comes out playing hardball this time....we'll see

20. jpeyton

You have to remember that a fair amount of media rhetoric and punditry is designed to incite viewership, not provide a clear picture of the truth.

Fox News is arguably the best news network if you're ranking them on their ability to engage and monetize their base. CNN and the rest do it to a lesser degree, but they would rather have you glued to your TV set watching "toss-up" election night coverage than eating dinner at the table with Obama as the 9:1 favorite.

21. Farang

Farang Lifer

I agree this is partly the reason for the tendency to call it a 'toss-up,' I maintain the other reason is that lazy journalism prevails and that is taking two opposing views and restating them with equal weight.

I don't know if we've had an election that will "surprise" the mainstream more than this one, though. I mean if Obama gets 303 electoral votes, how are pundits going to justify their calling it a toss-up before election day, when all signs pointed to his victory being exactly that?

22. rockyct

rockyct Diamond Member

I do feel bad for journalists in general. They know pretty much what Silver knows but aren't really allowed to say it. There is definitely a false equivalency bias but I don't blame them too much for having that when talking about who's going to win an election.

23. rockyct

rockyct Diamond Member

They'll say that Sandy gave Obama an opportunity to generate a late, but significant edge in the final week of the election.

24. Moonbeam

Moonbeam Elite Member

According to Sam Wang of the Princeton Election Consortium, whose models are based on current state by state polling after running 2.3 quadrillion possible outcomes, Obama's chances of reelection are now 97%

25. DominionSeraph

DominionSeraph Diamond Member

Goddamn it.

I'd gladly watch this country go down the shitter just to put Fox News and the conservatards here in the position where they have to apologize for President Romney for the next 4 years. 4 more years of their hate-filled mindless complaining is going to be too much to bear.