some lady just attacked my dog

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Dude, if you can't keep your rabid child eating beast on its leash, you should be taking your dog out of its cage.

wtf? I hate people with irrational fear of dogs, especially when they are lap dogs - jeez!

I was at a friend of my wife's home once and she had this yappy little mutt that kept growling at me. I was sitting at the table and it came up to me and nipped at my foot so I kicked it in the head. It pretty much left me alone after that.

I don't like small yappy breeds like that. Most of them are too high strung.

My neighbor has a poodle that's pretty cool. I think his poodle has the hots for my dog (75lb female black lab).
I'm sure you would appreciate a kick to the head because you had no control over being born a small dog... growling is in its nature just like your dislike for things like that. But to kick it ? Good... :roll: Why don't you kick mentally retarded kids for looking at you funny too ?

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Citrix
well if she thought her kids were in danger of being bit by an unleashed dog, she has every right to defend herself and her kids.

No kidding. I probably would have punted the little mutt across the street if he was running around barking at me and my son.

That would have been the last mistake you ever made if it was my 8 lb pup.

maziwanka

Lifer
Jul 4, 2000
omg. is your dog ok?

honestly, im not really sure what the police can do. as owners, we know the temperment of our dogs. but random strangers have no clue and might react as that woman did, esp with her child around.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
BTW, you have to get a better leash for these little guys... the body harness works best.

yeah i prefer body harness to collers myself.

It just seems better for the dog and i can keep it under control better.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: yukichigai
Originally posted by: toant103
Poor Bruno. All he wanted to do was play. :(

Unless he was growling she was way out of line.

he wasn't growling or barking. He just want to play.
No growling, no barking or yipping or anything? Just running around and panting?

Dude, with that face how could she misinterpret it? I realize the kid was scared but she could have picked the kid up instead of hucking something at your dog.

Dogs don't just run around strangers panting and not making any sound. I call B.S.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
I was at a friend of my wife's home once and she had this yappy little mutt that kept growling at me. I was sitting at the table and it came up to me and nipped at my foot so I kicked it in the head. It pretty much left me alone after that.

My neighbor has a poodle that's pretty cool. I think his poodle has the hots for my dog (75lb female black lab).
I'm sure you would appreciate a kick to the head because you had no control over being born a small dog... growling is in its nature just like your dislike for things like that. But to kick it ? Good... :roll: Why don't you kick mentally retarded kids for looking at you funny too ?
I'd kick a helmet kid if he bit my foot like that dog did.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Blieb
Originally posted by: Citrix
well if she thought her kids were in danger of being bit by an unleashed dog, she has every right to defend herself and her kids.

No kidding. I probably would have punted the little mutt across the street if he was running around barking at me and my son.

That would have been the last mistake you ever made if it was my 8 lb pup.

Uh, riiight...:roll:

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

bit or nip ? YOu know the difference right ? A distaste for an animal is clearly evident whether they do something to you or not... it's obvious among you guys...

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
My dog does sometimes charge people barking ... he's super tiny though and I always say, he just barks, don't be worried ... but with kids of course they freak out and run and then the chase is on ... but Mogli is pretty good about not giving chase, so I scoop him up and he doesn't come back down.

Meanwhile, if something happens to your animal while it is out and off the leash, be it an accident or not, you will never win or have recourse.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Dogs don't just run around strangers panting and not making any sound. I call B.S.
Some family friends have a Pomeranian (with awful breath, bleah) that looks like it could be Bruno in a few years. When she runs around us all she does is pant and jump. On occasion she'll make a little noise, but it's an obviously friendly noise.

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Sorry, I kind of feel bad, but when I look at that picture of your 2lb dog... well... I just can't feel sorry for it. Dogs should be AT LEAST big enough to fight back if a woman like that wants to throw things at them.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Mwilding
Dude, if you can't keep your rabid child eating beast on its leash, you should be taking your dog out of its cage.

wtf? I hate people with irrational fear of dogs, especially when they are lap dogs - jeez!

Hmm, dog bites me. What do you expect me to do? :roll:

Aggressive dogs should be put down. End of story.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
If I were you I'd call the cops back and tell them to never mind. You'll be the one ending up with a ticket/fine, not her.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000

Say what you will. My dog is the one thing I'd go apesh!t over. Other than him getting hurt, I have complete self control. But I'm dead serious, if someone ever kicked my dog and harmed him, they'd be bleeding to death lying in the middle of the road.

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
Is there a leash law in your town. If so, the police may be more concerned about your dog not being on a leash. The woman has a right to defend her child if the kid feels threatened. I think she overreacted, but I don't see her getting into any trouble for what she did.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Ilmater
Sorry, I kind of feel bad, but when I look at that picture of your 2lb dog... well... I just can't feel sorry for it. Dogs should be AT LEAST big enough to fight back if a woman like that wants to throw things at them.
ok mr. macho man. :roll: Two words: toy dog. If you were born to grow only 5'2" you wouldn't be talking...

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
bit or nip ? YOu know the difference right ? A distaste for an animal is clearly evident whether they do something to you or not... it's obvious among you guys...
If his teeth are on my foot and they're pressing down I consider it a bite.

Little dogs may "nip", but it hurts. Once it hurts it's a bite, no question.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001
Originally posted by: allisolm
Why did you call the police? Your dog was off the leash and, since you say the child was afraid, I'd guess the woman felt she was protecting her child. Legal issues you might have to worry about - you getting a ticket for an unleashed animal or the police suing you because they laughed so hard they hurt themselves after they saw your dog. :)

it was at the moment. I didn't know what to do.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Say what you will. My dog is the one thing I'd go apesh!t over. Other than him getting hurt, I have complete self control. But I'm dead serious, if someone ever kicked my dog and harmed him, they'd be bleeding to death lying in the middle of the road.

So, you would attack someone for defending themselves?

You're an idiot.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
This sounds like another case of dogs before people for some of you.

amcdonald

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I think the lady was justified in defending herself.

I'm a little biased though. One time I was jumped by a gang of toy dogs. Those bastards work like piranhas.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000
If a small to medium sized dog is being moderately aggressive, grab their snout and hold it shut until they yelp. This will make them stop most of the time.

By moderately aggressive I do not mean full on attack, then you have permission to kick like a little girl.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
If his teeth are on my foot and they're pressing down I consider it a bite.

Little dogs may "nip", but it hurts. Once it hurts it's a bite, no question.
So attacking someone (a child) when they do something they shouldn't like punching or biting you sounds in your nature... good to know.

People see dogs as a lower life form but they still feel pain just the same. What's more is they're helpless and their aggressiveness is by nature. You have control, do you not ? So sick of this "I'd punt him 500 feet if it did that to me" macho-man crap. :roll: If you think you're so much better than them, why don't you just put sticks of dynamite in their mouth and light it up ?

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
i don't think the cops will side with you, your dog should be controlled at all times. However, in the real world, the woman is a moron. All she is doing is teaching her kids is to have a overly sensitive fear of dogs. What ae tehy going to so when mommy isn't around to throw sticks? Piss their pants and run around like a bunch of spastic idiots.

I have an aunt who treated her kids this way. When we were much younger, we brought our little dogs (9 + 15lbs) to visit them. The dogs get excited to get out of the car and meet new people and her kids run away screaming in sheer terror like a warewolf had just been let loose... :roll:

What's going to happen when they're alone and meet a real dog, perhaps one that's not too friendly? Act like that and you could get yourself attacked. Dogs are in the world with people, learn how to deal with them.

Blieb

Diamond Member
Apr 17, 2000

So, you would attack someone for defending themselves?

You're an idiot.

If you need to attack an 8lb Yorkshire Terrier, you need to grow a pair.

And I didn't say I'd attack someone, I said I'd leave them to bleed to death after I smashed their face in.