(SOLVED!) Wrong CPU CORE count in any software (sometimes).

papafiogos

Feb 24, 2019
Hello people,

I have just built my first build with the specs shown below:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 8 core/16 Threads
RAM: 2x8 Corsair 2666MHz Ram
Motherboard: Asrock X370 Pro4
GPU: Asus Astrix GTX 1050 Ti
Power Suply: Thermaltake Smart RGB 600W

The PC is standing on a desk without any movement. Also Windows is set at Basic Performance mode.

At first everything seemed to work fine until i noticed something while I was benchmarking my system using CINEBENCH. It showed I had 7 Cores and 14 Threads.

Immediately, I checked task manager and under the Performance tab it said also that my CPU had only 7c/14t. As a matter of fact it showed only 14 diagrams under Performance/CPU tab.
Finally I also checked AMD Ryzen Master in which I had never changed anything and while all the 7 first cores were working fine, the 8th was stuck at 600Mhz not moving at all.

After some Internet research, I found some solution that didn't work for me.

Internet Solution #1: Search "msconfig" -> Open "System Configuration" -> Choose "Boot" tab -> Choose "Advanced Options" -> Uncheck "Number of processors"
In my case #1: The "Number of processors" box was already unchecked.

Internet Solution #2: Check about Core-Parking Issue.
In my case #2: None of my cores were shown core-parked. In fact the 8th was not shown at all in task manager.

Only working temporary solution: Reboot. Oh yes! I noticed that when I boot my PC it sometimes has 7c/14t and sometimes it has the normal 8c/16t.

So in summary: Sometimes when I boot my PC my core count is less that the normal (7c/14t) and it needs a reboot so that everything goes back to normal(8c/16t). WHY?

Note that when I boot with the normal number of cores and threads every software is showing them perfectly.

papafiogos

Feb 24, 2019
BIOS up to date?

Hello, here is my BIOS Version found under "msinfo32": BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. P4.50, 24-Jan-18
Also my MOBO is the Asrock X370 Pro4. ( MOBO Official BIOS link: https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/X370 Pro4/index.asp#BIOS )

I haven't ever updated any BIOS on a non-laptop motherboard before, so I haven't bother yet. I would be very thankfull if you could tell me that I need an update given the version and the link I have provided you!

Attachments

• BIOS_Version.jpg
    BIOS_Version.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 5

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I am amazed that it will even post with BIOS that old, that is the original BIOS for the board. You need at least 4.7 to support that CPU according to the CPU support list.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Thank you so much for your reply. I will notify you as soon as I finish the BIOS update. Please feel free to let me know if I must be aware of any kind of serious issue I might have to be carefull of during this procedure.
First, do it from a USB stick while booting (I think there is an option for that, F6 maybe ?) or from bios if that option is not there, and DON'T power down during the bios update, or you will have a dead motherboard.

Edit: It looks like the only way is from bios. Here are the instructions, you still need a USB stick with the unzipped file on it https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8

papafiogos

Feb 24, 2019
I am amazed that it will even post with BIOS that old, that is the original BIOS for the board. You need at least 4.7 to support that CPU according to the CPU support list.
I hope after the update everything will be ok. I will let you know when everything is done. Before that I would like to ask you if there is anything I should be carefull of during this procedure. On the Asrock site it says that I should install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" or a later version before updating to this BIOS". Is this really necessary? Do you have any recomendation? This is my first time.

papafiogos

Feb 24, 2019
First, do it from a USB stick while booting (I think there is an option for that, F6 maybe ?) or from bios if that option is not there, and DON'T power down during the bios update, or you will have a dead motherboard.

Edit: It looks like the only way is from bios. Here are the instructions, you still need a USB stick with the unzipped file on it https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=BIOS8
This method seems easier: https://www.asrock.com/support/BIOSIG.asp?cat=Windows9

What is your opinion? Thanks!

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I hope after the update everything will be ok. I will let you know when everything is done. Before that I would like to ask you if there is anything I should be carefull of during this procedure. On the Asrock site it says that I should install "AMD all in 1 with VGA driver ver:18.10.20_NHDA" or a later version before updating to this BIOS". Is this really necessary? Do you have any recomendation? This is my first time.
I would download bios 5.00 and 5.40. Try 5.00 first. The other driver thing I have not heard of, but obviously its a windows thing. The worst case is to use the 5.00 BIOS if there is a problem after the 5.4 one.

papafiogos

Feb 24, 2019
Thats for the X399 Taichi, but I would NOT use the Windows flash method anyway, too risky.
I used the "Instant Flash" method first with version 5.00 and then with version 5.40. Everything worked out fine. I think the issue has gone. Let me make some reboot tries to make sure.

papafiogos

Feb 24, 2019
Thank you so much for your reply. I will notify you as soon as I finish the BIOS update. Please feel free to let me know if I must be aware of any kind of serious issue I might have to be carefull of during this procedure.
Hey as it turned out that is finally the SOLUTION. Everything is working perfect. I am so thankfull about your suggestion. I hope you have a great day!

papafiogos

Feb 24, 2019
Thats for the X399 Taichi, but I would NOT use the Windows flash method anyway, too risky.
Finally, everything is working perfect. After the BIOS update a lot of strange things stoped happening. I would like to thank you so much for your time and I also hope you have a great day.

Reactions: Campy