So, you're a photographer?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Imported

Lifer
Sep 2, 2000
I guess I could say I'm a novice? Still learning a lot. Trying to get better as much as I can though. :)

Gear includes:

Nikon D80+Grip
Nikon D50
Nikon SB-800
Nikon 18-200mm VR
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Sigma 105mm Macro f/2.8

Hope to add a 10-20mm or 12-24mm, 70-200mm VR, and 85mm f/1.8 sometime in the future. Haven't been able to do much lately since I let my brother borrow my equip in the beginning of the year.. here's a few I took in the last year though..

One | Two | Three

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: zylander
Im as amateur as they come, I just have a simple Cannon SD600; I go out at night and take pictures of random things.

Here are a couple of my favorites;

Text
Text
Text
Text
Damn car :)
Text

how do you pull those off? I would be blurry to hell on those - do you have a tripod?

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Another amateur / serious hobbyist here.

My web site is http://www.threewood.com (Hasn't been updated since JAN 2006, but many pics have been taken since.)

I am a total Canon fanboi. I currently have the following gear:

EOS-20D
EFS 17-55 F2.8 IS (Walkaround)
EFS 10-22 (UWA)
EF 70-200 F4L IS (Telezoom)
Speedlite EX430
A few B+W UV and CP filters.
And a bunch of other goodies.

jamesbond007

Diamond Member
Dec 21, 2000
Serious hobbyist - I namely shoot portrait photography, but I do dabble into sports a bit. Doing my first wedding in a couple weeks and starting my own business by the end of the month. :)

Body: Canon 30D/grip
Zooms: 70-200 f/2.8L IS, Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (to be replaced this week by a 24-70)
Primes: 50 f/1.8, 135 f/2
Lights: Alienbee B1600 strobes/umbrellas, 580EX Flash
Storage: Lots and LOTS of SanDisk Extreme III series cards

Very active on Fred Miranda and I peek into dpreview.com every now and then. I also enjoy shooting a friend's 300 f/2.8L IS on occasion!

EDIT: If anyone is interested in buying my Tamron lens, let me know. It's a very good copy and I can provide pics to back this up. DANG sharp...

Jun 14, 2003
just breaking the ice of photography, purchased a 400D in april and have been experimenting ever since. bit tied up with work at the moment so havent had much chance to shoot, (got my priorities straight) bt when im done ill be making good use of it.

got the kit lens, obviously, the plastic-fantastic 50mm f1.8 and because it was going supremely cheap a 28-105mm F3.4-4.5 USM and circular PL filter.

looking to get a decent tripod, flash, battery grip and im thinking of floggin the 28-105 because its focal length is a little awkward to use (28 isnt wide enough, 105 puts it above something like the kit lens, but out of reach of a decent zoom....its kinda in no mans land) but i dunno what to get.

18-200mm lenses from sigman and tamron are a nice price, but ive been warned to stay clear. i might get the tamrom 28-75 f2.8 still got the same wide end, but it would give me a bigger apature in exchange for removing the almost useless 105mm focal lenght.

i want a proper wide angle as well..... sigma 10-20mm probably

wow photography is expensive lol

damn jamesbond007..... if you were in the UK id have that tamron off you!

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: magomago
Originally posted by: zylander
Im as amateur as they come, I just have a simple Cannon SD600; I go out at night and take pictures of random things.

Here are a couple of my favorites;

Text
Text
Text
Text
Damn car :)
Text

how do you pull those off? I would be blurry to hell on those - do you have a tripod?

HDR through photoshop would be my guess because my D50 doesnt even do that well during the daytime.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
My name is rudder and I am an addict. Hello everyone.

Canon 30D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 28-70mm Tamron f/2.8, 85mm canon f/1.8, 50mm sigma f/2.8, Tamron 12-24mm.

Amateur at the moment... but I did make $50 this past weekend taking some family photos.

40Hands

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2004
Hiya! I wouldn't consider myself a pro but I'm not a beginner either. Been using my Rebel XT for a little under a year. My gallery is in my sig if you want to browse it. I am always looking for constrictive criticism!

shocksyde

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2001
Good thread idea!

I've been interested in photography forever (my dad took a ton of pictures), but only a few years ago did I actually get my own camera. Recently, I've upgraded to a DSLR and am having a blast. There's a lot to learn, but I get a lot of good feedback from people on forums like Photography-on-the.net.

My equipment is:

Canon XTi
Sigma 10-20
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 70-200 f4L
Canon 28-105

My galleries are here: http://www.seannaber.com/newgalleries

Demo24

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
Amateur here as well. I came off a film camera(Nikon N64), and just got a DSLR for Christmas.

D50 / 50mm nikkor / 28-80mm nikkor / 70-300mm Quantaray

I mostly shoot nature shots. Flowers are a big thing with me. Love doing macro shots, but I have to use a sigma from the film camera to do so on the lower zoom range.

Just recently got a Manfrotto 725B tripod, which is really nice but sadly I haven't taken the time to use it much.

AmpedSilence

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
semi-amateur. Always loved it. Was my minor in college. It turns out that have a real eye for photographing junk yards, go figure. Did my senior project on 'classic' cars decaying in a local junk yard; recieved an A on the project also. I'll have to scan them them in and share one day.

My equipment?

Canon Elan IIE
Tamron 28-200

digi stuff..
Canon PowerShot A710 (just upgrade from an A80)

and my all time favorite?
Maymia C330f Professional medium format camera. I did senior project in this camera.

I just wish i had to the time to continue shooting.

Some of my favorite stuff....

http://www.nrshah.org/BigPics/...ing/JigsWedding_22.JPG
http://www.nrshah.org/BigPics/LV2005/LV2005_091.jpg
http://www.nrshah.org/PageImages/pittskyline.jpg (yes, i shot that; then sitched it together in Photoshop)
http://www.nrshah.org/BigPics/...005/Garba/Garba_61.jpg

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Amatuer...
I have used the a40, a95, a620 and recently got the Canon XTi. I wanted more freedom and flexability then I could get from the a620. Currently I have the Canon 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. Other accessories I have include the Canon Battery Grip, extra batteries, various filters, and several memory cards.

Although I have shot several friends weddings (and been told done better than those they hired!)

Nocturnal

Lifer
Jan 8, 2002
I'm just a wannabe. I have a Canon SD700. I'd love to get an XTi in the near distant future.

Tech Addict

Mar 8, 2007
Most definitely an amateur.

Fuzzybabybunny's posts and pics really made an impact on me. I had gotten away from this hobby for a few years. Darn you. Now I'm back and I love it.

I have a Pentax K10D
SMC 18-55 (kit lens)
SMC 50-200 ED

Learning the new system, sometimes I think digital makes me lazy. It's too easy to have instant feedback.. I have to get back to taking more time with each shot. It defintely shows in my photos..... grrrr.

Tech Addict

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I need a class or I need to go out with an experienced photographer because I don't know what to do most of the time. I end up just using the auto setting.

I've read 2 books but they didn't help me at all.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Originally posted by: pontifex
I need a class or I need to go out with an experienced photographer because I don't know what to do most of the time. I end up just using the auto setting.

I've read 2 books but they didn't help me at all.

Now I'm not Fuzzybabybunny nor a professional, but I just take pictures to capture the moment. I try to visualize what shots I want and put the camera to that setting. I would try using the Basic Zone modes (Sports, Landscape, Portrait, etc). With digital you need to tell the camera what type of picture you want (fast shutter, large aperature).

Take your camera out and play around with the settings. Try taking the same photo with all the different modes that your camera offers. Then you can see what you camera can do and know better how to get the image you want to come out.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
Hi I am amateur photographer but arts/graphics are not my things I started learning art stuff when I was hired major blockbuster movies I have several movie credits. After terror attack I was told to let go and my parents wanted to see what I look like I decided to buy Canon Powershot A520 then now I have Powershot A610

I like to take pictures of me a lot but I am not a model. I have so many pictures on the wall and some on myspace website.

I always wanted to get my hand on Canon Rebel XTi and plan to go school to improve my skills

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Hello, i'm a very amateur photographer. For me its more of a interest and hobby then anything serious.

I shoot a canon s2 and just take pics of random people.

My desire is to learn how to take some better portraits.

beatle

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2001
I'm an amateur. I've gotten to the point where I know what the settings mean and how to manipulate them to get the shot, but composing a really NICE picture escapes me a lot of the time. The pics I see on Fred Miranda just blow my mind. Unfortunately, I find that a lot of people on photo forums are snooty and haughty about their equipment and skills. I've met a few very nice people, but a lot of the attitude is really a turn-off to learning more from others. I shoot with:

Canon 20d
Canon 17-85 IS
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 70-300 IS
Canon 580EX

My fiancee is selling her film 35mm stuff and just bought a Canon A620 off the FS/FT forum for video and snapshots. I've missed my Canon A80 and S2 IS, so the A620 will be a welcome change. :)

IeraseU

Aug 25, 2004
I do photography as a hobby, and due to the fact that I don't see it as something that will ever pay extremely well (because of very high competition) it will probably always stay that way. At first I did journalism and event coverage , sometimes writing articles to go with the photos. Then I did a few cityscapes, and while I enjoyed it, it felt 'sterile' to me. Now I'm trying to concentrate on working with models and doing more artistic photos, and I am trying to establish and build contacts with models that have what I consider a 'special' look. I also want to try concert photography, and have been snooping around to hopefully make some contacts in this area as well (but no luck yet).

Oh yes, I shoot Nikon equipment, listed below:

D70s body
Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 AF-S DX
Nikkor 70-200 f/2.8 VR AF-S
Nikkor 50 f/1.8
Nikkor 18-200 VR

montanafan

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
I'm an amatuer. I'm fairly new to digital photography and trying to improve my post processing skills. I shot with film for a long time using a Pentax hand-me-down and then a Canon AE-1.

I have a Canon Digital Rebel that's going into the shop with a broken mirror clip. Most of my photos were taken with it. I just got the Digital Rebel XT and a few of these were taken with it. My lenses are:

Canon 18-55mm f/3.5
Canon 75-300mm f/4
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Canon 85mm f/1.8
Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8
Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8

I also have a ProMaster 1.7X teleconverter, Canon 430EX Speedlite, Vivitar 285 HV Thyristor, and a variety of filters, tripods, brackets, grips, etc. I'm stuck using mostly Adobe Elements 2.0 with a Neat Image plug-in, but I recently got PhotoShop 5.0 and I'm hoping to improve with it.

I shoot mainly sports as you can see.

Football
Volleyball
Wrestling
Girls Basketball
Baseball
Softball
Boys Basketball