So, you're a photographer?

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
I thought it would be nice for people to introduce themselves as a photographer (both amateur and professional) by telling us what camera/lenses/other accessories you use, what you like taking pictures of, who you are as a photographer, etc. I will start by introducing myself. You can also post some of your favorite pictures you have taken if you like.

I am pretty new to photography but I have always shown an interest to it. I own a Canon Powershot S3 IS and it's a nice camera that goes beyond a simple point n' shoot but it is no SLR (for my needs and current knowledge of cameras, it's good enough). I like taking pictures of Wildlife and nature and I am just beginning to explore macro photography.

I might post some of my pictures later as it's too late to start digging through my collection.

Edit: I've uploaded a few of my pictures to an online album. I have only very recently tried to go beyond P&S so my pictures don't hold a candle to most of the others on this forum. I am hoping to get a DSLR in the future, but it won't be for a little while.

Gallery: http://picasaweb.google.com/Newfie41
Comments appreciated.

Oct 19, 2000
Definitely an amateur photographer here. My gear includes a Nikon D50 (THE best DSLR every made IMO ;)), 18-55 kit lens, 50mm f/1.8 (a.k.a. The Cheap Wonder), and a Sigma 105mm Macro. The 105 macro is easily my favorite of the bunch. Other accessories include an SB-600 Speedlight, and various other related photography equipment such as Whibal cards and software such as Nikon Capture NX, Photoshop CS3, and Lightroom.

Gallery can be viewed at http://joshpuckett.smugmug.com, although I don't have too much going on at the moment. I haven't taken any pictures in quite some time, and I'm hoping to get back into it. I've even considered setting up an amatuer studio at my home for portraits, although I'm sure to get in over my head. :)

Dec 10, 2005
I'm fairly new to more serious amateur photography. I always took a lot of pictures, whether it had been a disposable film camera or my old film P&S. In 2003 I upgraded to a P&S digital camera and have used that for many pictures. Recently, I got a dSLR for my birthday which I have been using a lot lately.

Equipment I use:
Canon PowerShot S400 with a Sandisk 256MB CF card
Canon Rebel XT w/ a 2GB ADATA 120x CF Card
-Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8-4 lens
--Hope to upgrade it to a Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 DI and a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR DI this summer with the possibility of also getting the Canon 70-200 f/4L USM lens for telephoto outdoor shots

Many of my photos can be found here: http://smg.photobucket.com/alb...v389/BouncingSouls088/ (Starting at the 5-18 album are the XT shots). Feel free to ask for originals if you want them for desktop backgrounds as Photobucket shrinks most of them down since they >1MB.

One of my favorites that I took today: Text

Edit (6-15-07):
I bought 2 new lenses the other day, the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8-4 DI and the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 XR DI. Can definitely tell the difference between the Sigma 28-70 and Tamron 28-75, colors are crisper, quieter autofocus, sharper pictures at f/2.8.

Newfie

Jun 15, 2005
You have some very beautiful pictures blurred. You should get back into it as it seems you got a real eye for photography.

Edit: Nice pictures Brain :)

ProviaFan

Lifer
Mar 17, 2001
I'm am amateur photographer with only a few years of experience. My favorite subjects are landscapes, nature closeups and macros, and wildlife.

I use a Nikon D200 with Nikon 17-35 AF-S f/2.8, Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 AF-S VR, and Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro lenses. Some of the accessories that I use are an SB-800 flash, Lumiquest mini softbox, Kirk Photo macro flash bracket, B+W polarizer, Gretag Macbeth Mini Color Checker, and Lexar and Sandisk 2GB CompactFlash cards. For the majority of my photos of still subjects, my system is firmly attached to a Manfrotto 3021B Pro tripod with a Manfrotto ballhead of some forgettable model number and Manfrotto quick release plates (a side comment: ugh, should have bought into an Arca-compatible system from the start).

A few of my photos of varying levels of quality can be seen here.

ZOXXO

Golden Member
Feb 1, 2003
Novice photog here that to some degree has fallen prey to what is known in some circles as NAS.(Nikon Acquisition Syndrome) That is to say I've spent more time reading about, longing for and buying equipment than actually taking photos. With ~2000 shutter actuations on my D200 I've yet to take a photo that completely satisfies me.

However I printed a landscape shot as a gift for a friend that accompanied me to the mountain top to take it and it has drawn enough interest that I am considering framing multiple copies to sell.

My primary equipment consists of the Nikon D200 with battery grip, the thrifty fifty, a 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G, a 105mm f/4 ai manual focus macro lens with the dedicated tube, a SB600 flash and various other supporting equipment.(tripod, monopod, bags, software, cleaning stuffs.....)

Maybe when the AT photo contest gets off the ground, it will spur me to take more time to enjoy the field work aspect of photography.

blurredvision I hadn't visited your gallery in a while. You do indeed have an eye for the art. Very nice job on capturing the Natural Bridge trail and the Nada Tunnel shot has given me some ideas to toy with on my next visit to the Red River Gorge area.

Looking forward to hearing more from the photo enthusiasts in the AT community.

virtuamike

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2000
Hi hi, yay new forum!! :)

I'll eventually go pro, hopefully doing commercial lifestyle, editorial, and fashion work. I shoot with a Nikon D200, a bag full of fast glass, and some purty lights. I've been shooting for almost 3 years, which compared to other photographers means I'm just getting started ;)

Tada, here's me (some nsfw)

drifter106

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2004
Amateur as well... but I really enjoy photography and taking video with the 400...

video:

panasonic

gs 400

photography:

canon

a620
30d
18-55
50 1.4
100 2.8 macro
70-200 2.8L
kenko 1.4 teleconverter
kenko extension tubes

I enjoy taking pictures of family, wildlife and macro. For those of you who are looking for information and techniques to improve your photography a popular place among many is POTN . Wealth of information that can only help your photgraphy skills.

kendo26

Sep 29, 2006
Another amateur. I've been using a Canon S60 and I've just bought and Olympus E-500 as my first dslr. It has the two kit lenses 14-45mm and 40-150mm.

My favorite things to shoot are urban landscapes. My favorite subject being the Sears Tower.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006
OMG NEW FORUMS ><

I think a lot of you guys already know me. Serious hobbyist. I think I've moved out of the amateur stage.

www.fuzzybabybunny.smugmug.com
Canon 30D + XT
Sigma 50-500mm
Sigma 100-300mm f/4
Sigma 30mm f/1.4
Sigma 10-20mm
Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
Canon 50mm f/1.4
Kenko 1.4X TC
Pro Optic Extension Tubes (Adorama house brand)

Nature, wildlife, macro, travel, whatever.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I'm an amateur photographer and my wife is a professional photographer on the side. I have a Canon A75 as my point-and-shoot and we have a couple Nikon D70s dSLRs as our "pro" cameras. We use a 50mm prime, an 18-70mm zoom, and some macro extension tubes. We recently put up a nice little website for my wife's side of the hobby:

http://www.malindyportraits.com/

Patt

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2000
I'm definitely an amateur ... have a regular Canon Rebel SLR, but will be upgrading within the next week to a Canon XTI Digital Rebel I think. I don't have much in terms of on-line photos at the moment, but will be getting more into it this summer.

Update: Just purchased a Digital Rebel XTi for a great price with a toss-in lens. I'll have to save up a while before getting some better glass, but I'm looking forward to retiring the film for the most part. I pick it up on June 8th, so I'll have it to play with this weekend :)

Mrvile

Lifer
Oct 16, 2004
Hi. My name is Eric. I have a 350D, 50/1.8, 100/2.8 macro, 430EX, Sigma ringlight, a tripod, ballhead, blah blah.

I like taking macro pictures the most, as the majority of my "rig" is geared towards macro. My Deviantart gallery is in my sig, feel free to check it out (although I haven't updated in a while).

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Amateur, decidedly so. And bad luck with cameras...

Started with a Contax 139 Quartz that had belonged to my father. It broke. Bought another 139 Quartz. It broke. Bought an RTS-II and some new lenses. Then a Yashica body as a backup (got lenses in a package deal)... RTS-II broke. Got fed up with having Contax bodies break and bought a cheap Chinon CE-3 M42 scewmount and just enjoyed the fact that a $10 screwmount lens can rival just about anything for B&W.

Had Fuji FinePix 2650 and decided to upgrade to an Olympus C-8080. C-8080 was stolen out of a rental car when I forgot I had it in the car and dropped the rental off. Rental company claims that they "never found it".

Finepix 2650 stolen (along with my company laptop) when my car was broken into while parked in a "secure" garage.

Bought an A100. Love it. Good luck with it. Bought a Maxxum 7 for film. Love it. Current lineup:

Film:

Maxxum 7
Chinon CE-3 Memotron
Yashica FX-103 Program (remnant of my abandoned manual focus Contax system)
Olympus Infinity Zoom 210 (point and shoot)

Digital:
A100

Lenses:

35mm f/2.8 screwmount
135mm f/2.8 screwmount
200mm f/3.5 screwmount
55mm f/1.7 screwmount

Tamron 70-210 f/3.8-4 (Contax/Yashica)
Tamron 24mm f/2.5 (Contax/Yashica) <-- Very nice little lens
Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 (Contax/Yashica)
Zeiss 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 (Contax/Yashica) <-- Underrated lens

Sony 18-70 f/3.5-5.6 DT
Tamron 70-300 f/4-5.6 Di <--easily as good as the Sigma 70-300 APO
Minolta 28-70 f/2.8 D <-- Completely replaced the kit lens in my use
Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX

The screwmount system used to live in my car, but when I switched cars I never got around to putting it back in the car. I need to get around to that again.

I should liquidate my Contax/Yashica gear since I can't see myself using it again, but I'd never get a good price for it and I still have a sentimental attachment to it since it's what got me started. I can't justify all the remnants of old systems (although the total investment in the screwmount system is about $50, so I guess that's OK), but it's all sunk cost at this point and I can take some solace in the fact that all the old gear was picked up very cheaply.

ZV

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
Amatuer/hobbyist here, been shooting DSLR a little over a year and P&S for much longer, but have always had quite an interest in photography. I enjoy taking pictures of basically anything and everything so I can't quite say what category I like taking pictures of most.

I shoot Pentax and my humble collection includes:
Pentax K10D
Pentax *ist DL
Pentax DA 18-55/3.5-5.6
Pentax FA 35/2
Pentax FA 50/1.4
Pentax DA 50-200/4-5.6
Pentax AF-540FGZ flash

Haven't really settled on a single place for my online gallery and I'm severely backlogged in processing pics, so I've nothing to share for now. Besides I still have a lot to learn - my stuff wouldn't hold a candle to what most people show here.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
newblet here

i shoot with:

canon canonet QL17 GIII compact rangefinder (one of the best lenses ever made, a 40mm f/1.7 that is sharpest when wide open)
canon rebel 2000
canon powershot S40
canon digital rebel xti
canon EF 50 f/1.8
sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6
tamron 28-75 f/2.8

honestly, i like using the canonet the most. it's small, it's quiet, and i don't trust the meter on it so i feel like i'm actually doing something when i take a picture with it. that and i get funny looks with the canon digital strap it's got. one day i'm going to get robbed with that strap.

i've also got a minolta hi-matic 11 that i'm refurbing. i only bought it because it looks cool, though. the canonet is much nicer (much smaller and lighter).

interested in an OM-2 if anyone has one for sale.

next up for major purchases, canon 28 f/1.8 or sigma 30 f/1.4, canon 50 f/1.4 and 70-200 f/4L IS. and a 40D when it comes out in august (18 month rule).

Raiden256

Platinum Member
Feb 11, 2001
Amateur here... over 10K shots on my favorite piece of elecronics equipment (aside form the TiVo) -- The Canon Digital Rebel XT. Equipment list follows:

Canon EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT w/ 18-55mm F/3.5-6.3 "Kit" Lens
Canon 70-200mm F/4L <-- teh shiznit
Canon 50mm F1.8
Canon 430EX Falsh <-- also teh shiznit
Canon RS60-E3 Remote Shutter Release
Hoya 58mm Circular Polarizer (for the kit lens)
SunPak 6400UT Platinum Plus Tripod
SanDisk Ultra II 1GB CF Card
Lowepro Nova 4 AW bag

Also have a Canon Rebel 2000 (film), but that thing's been collecting dust since the first day I got the 350D.

One day I'll get off my arse and create a picasa web album with my best shots...