So why does Apple put 'Designed in California' on its products.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
mugs, lately we have been agreeing too much...something needs to be done. ;)

One of you must be banished to TFNN. To the Thunderdome to decide the victor!

biggestmuff

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2001
It's not a badge of honor. It's a warning.

"Designed in California"

Oh, sh1t! I'm not buying that!!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Flammable
california is splitting off the US along with alaska and hawaii in about 5 years :Q

There is no way in hell that will happen. The rest of the country needs California despite their ridiculous bias against it. We have the 6th largest economy in the world, imagine the drop in Federal tax revenue and the implications that would have for the rest of the country if that happened.

California would not have become as prosperous as it is without the rest of the US. If California was independent it would resemble Mexico.
Could be worse, they could resemble the sh!thole New Jersey.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Originally posted by: Flammable
california is splitting off the US along with alaska and hawaii in about 5 years :Q

There is no way in hell that will happen. The rest of the country needs California despite their ridiculous bias against it. We have the 6th largest economy in the world, imagine the drop in Federal tax revenue and the implications that would have for the rest of the country if that happened.

California would not have become as prosperous as it is without the rest of the US. If California was independent it would resemble Mexico.
Could be worse, they could resemble the sh!thole New Jersey.

Most people who hate New Jersey have only seen Northern Eastern New Jersey, which really is a total shh!thole. The rest of it isn't bad. Too bad that corner of the state can't fall off.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: senseamp

The local breed may not be different, but California attracts top creative talent from around the world.

Many states in the US attract top creative talent from around the world. Look at New Jersey, we have a good percentage of all the pharmaceutical companies in the country, and a lot of brilliant scientists come from other countries to work here. Even Einstein moved here.

Yet everyone hates NJ.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

The federal government spends less in California than Californians pay in taxes. This is true of pretty much all "blue states" and the opposite is true of pretty much all "red states."

You know who contributes the highest proportion in relation to taxes received?

New Jersey.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: beer
because "designed by Apple in Detroit" doesn't convey the same engineering expertise.

bahaha!

yea the rest of america hates cali in the way much of the world hates the us. combo of envy of technological/economic power and disgust of its culture. i mean seriously, its got silicon valley and hollywood, what does the rest of america have? nascar?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
Originally posted by: bearxor
To those of you who say that the US would be doomed because they would lose the tax revenue coming out of California, are you also considering the savings by the US government from not having to put our tax dollars back in to california to pay for things like infrastructure, schools, welfare, etc, etc?

To those of you who say you're overpaying for a Apple machine and it really costs only half that and stupid people buy it to keep Apple afloat, I'd like you to show me where I can pick up a dual dual-core 2.66 Xeon with the rest of the specs the exact same for $2499. I mean, if I were to buy those off the shelf (i'll just use Pricewatch's lowest price) that would run me $1400 just for processors before I even considered things like a case, motherboard, ram, OS, etc, etc... Seems to me if I dump on a Xeon board (~300), 1GB of buffered DDR2 (~200) and a copy of Vista Ultimate (the only windows OS comparable to OS X ~200) I'm at about $2100 and still haven't considered things like a case, power supply, video card, hard drive and optical drive.

The federal government spends less in California than Californians pay in taxes. This is true of pretty much all "blue states" and the opposite is true of pretty much all "red states."

yup, sad truth is we subsidize the hick states that smack talk us.

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
Originally posted by: 91TTZ
Originally posted by: senseamp

The local breed may not be different, but California attracts top creative talent from around the world.

Many states in the US attract top creative talent from around the world. Look at New Jersey, we have a good percentage of all the pharmaceutical companies in the country, and a lot of brilliant scientists come from other countries to work here. Even Einstein moved here.

Yet everyone hates NJ.

Things changed after you were born. :p

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
As long as kommifornia continues to hate freedom, it will be the worst place in the nation to live, along side New York, New Jersey, and Illinois.