So why does Apple put 'Designed in California' on its products.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
The more important question: Why does it matter?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005
Because rest of America doesn't want Communist Red California lumping itself with the Republic.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Because CA has the most highly paid engineers and designers of in the world.
"Designed in CA" = no expense spared. Why wouldn't you put that on your product?

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: senseamp
"Designed in CA" = no expense spared. Why wouldn't you put that on your product?

because its just proof that you over paied for something

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Originally posted by: Anubis

Maybe to you, but Apple owes a lot of its success to the great product design coming out of California. You get what you pay for.

AgaBoogaBoo

Lifer
Feb 16, 2003
How would you define "over paid"?

They have the largest market share and have been at the top for a while in MP3 Players. Who says this is overpaying? You? The rest of the market doesn't agree. Just because you feel it's overpriced doesn't mean that everyone else does - there's a reason everyone else bought it and that's because they feel it's the right product. Forget technicalities, look at the numbers and economics - the product sells and people don't have an issue forking over the arm and leg that Apple charges.

I hope I didn't come off in a bad way with that post, but I always see the iPod bashed, and I'm a firm hater of it, but they were the first to develop a solid product with good software support - most everyone else for a while was just tossing some product they rigged up with a 3rd party's software that they got as cheap as possible, slapped it in the box, and hoped it would work. In Apple's case, they developed something people wanted and did it 10 times better than the rest and that's how they did so well.

Like I said, I hate the iPod, especially iTunes, but I will say that they were the first to make a solid product that people bought.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Flammable
california is splitting off the US along with alaska and hawaii in about 5 years :Q

Do you mean literally or politically? ;)

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: AgaBoogaBoo
How would you define "over paid"?

They have the largest market share and have been at the top for a while in MP3 Players. Who says this is overpaying? You? The rest of the market doesn't agree. Just because you feel it's overpriced doesn't mean that everyone else does - there's a reason everyone else bought it and that's because they feel it's the right product. Forget technicalities, look at the numbers and economics - the product sells and people don't have an issue forking over the arm and leg that Apple charges.

I hope I didn't come off in a bad way with that post, but I always see the iPod bashed, and I'm a firm hater of it, but they were the first to develop a solid product with good software support - most everyone else for a while was just tossing some product they rigged up with a 3rd party's software that they got as cheap as possible, slapped it in the box, and hoped it would work. In Apple's case, they developed something people wanted and did it 10 times better than the rest and that's how they did so well.

Like I said, I hate the iPod, especially iTunes, but I will say that they were the first to make a solid product that people bought.

no no offence, im just loling when you say it was released with great software, itunes always has been crap, for PC users anyway, it actually works on a Mac, however its still a POS program

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
because "designed by Apple in Detroit" doesn't convey the same engineering expertise.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
california is splitting off the US along with alaska and hawaii in about 5 years :Q

We'd like to keep Alaska and Hawaii, thanks.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

There is no way in hell that will happen. The rest of the country needs California despite their ridiculous bias against it. We have the 6th largest economy in the world, imagine the drop in Federal tax revenue and the implications that would have for the rest of the country if that happened.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
Because California has the GDP of France and anyone who buys an Apple is a cheese eating surrender monkey.

Yeah but Francifornia > Texanada. :p

Besides, I'd rather live in France than in Israel. ;)