So who's ready for Mass Effect 3?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoSoup4You

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2007
I'm 36 hours in and still only at 62% Galactic Readiness. There are only three or four available missions in my Journal at the moment, I just spent two hours completing a bunch of random "fetch" missions and the GR % didn't increase at all.

Odd...

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
EA/Bioware anticipated your displeasure with the ending, and has paid DLC waiting in the wings to "fix" it for you.

Glitchny

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2002
I'm 36 hours in and still only at 62% Galactic Readiness. There are only three or four available missions in my Journal at the moment, I just spent two hours completing a bunch of random "fetch" missions and the GR % didn't increase at all.

Odd...

the galactic readiness % is from multiplayer.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

Odd...

I got the best possible ending and I had a galactic readiness of 50%. You just need enough military strength to get the best same ending as all the other endings.

Carfax83

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 2010
Before I beat the game, I thought that the massive amount of complaints about the ending HAD to be exaggeration. It couldn't be that bad..

But now that I've beat the game, I agree wholeheartedly that the ending was absolutely freaking terrible!

While I'm not even a fan of the series persay, the ending just seemed so ridiculously contrived and nonsensical, and fails to answer some key questions.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Jumping in from consoles, since there's more active discussion here.

Have you guys heard of this?

Indoctrination theory

I am in the minority willing to live with the current endings. Maybe the lack of closure will be settled in future lore via more games, DLC or literature. Sure, I'd have changed some things if wrote the story...but I can say the same about a number of movies and books I still love. Even so, while destroying the relays and all synthetics may be suboptimal, it doesn't disallow for a continuation of the ME universe. (Besides, I always intended for my Shepard to sacrifice himself if the option came up; and the Geth all died and EDI was in my vaporized party for my 1st playthrough anyway).

I'd definitely like to believe this indoctrination theory is a possibility. It's interesting and would make me feel like I got played...in a good way. It really would be pretty brilliant. Hell, even if it wasn't their original plan, BW should co-opt it.

One hopes that if further ending DLC is released, that there some more consequences as result of choices included. Like, for example, during another push battle, biotic artillery help with reduced effectiveness for all waves as support roles, or greatly help the final waves as front line troops, but perish in the process. An entire krogan battalion engaging a reaper for tactical distraction and glory. Perhaps they succeed under Wrex and fail under Wreave. Stuff like that...just something more substantial than +X% galactic readiness.

What's interesting is the Author saying "But if it’s true (an incredibly big 'if'), then BioWare has pulled off the greatest feat ever: they indoctrinated us all." Indeed, maybe BioWare they just couldn't come up with what they considered a satisfactory ending, and so hatched a plan to essentially crowd source popular opinion of lore-valid options to release as DLC.
/tinfoil hat

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008
Jumping in from consoles, since there's more active discussion here.

I am in the minority willing to live with the current endings. Maybe the lack of closure will be settled in future lore via more games, DLC or literature. Sure, I'd have changed some things if wrote the story...but I can say the same about a number of movies and books I still love. Even so, while destroying the relays and all synthetics may be suboptimal, it doesn't disallow for a continuation of the ME universe. (Besides, I always intended for my Shepard to sacrifice himself if the option came up; and the Geth all died and EDI was in my vaporized party for my 1st playthrough anyway).

I'd definitely like to believe this indoctrination theory is a possibility. It's interesting and would make me feel like I got played...in a good way. It really would be pretty brilliant. Hell, even if it wasn't their original plan, BW should co-opt it.

One hopes that if further ending DLC is released, that there some more consequences as result of choices included. Like, for example, during another push battle, biotic artillery help with reduced effectiveness for all waves as support roles, or greatly help the final waves as front line troops, but perish in the process. An entire krogan battalion engaging a reaper for tactical distraction and glory. Perhaps they succeed under Wrex and fail under Wreave. Stuff like that...just something more substantial than +X% galactic readiness.

What's interesting is the Author saying "But if it’s true (an incredibly big 'if'), then BioWare has pulled off the greatest feat ever: they indoctrinated us all." Indeed, maybe BioWare they just couldn't come up with what they considered a satisfactory ending, and so hatched a plan to essentially crowd source popular opinion of lore-valid options to release as DLC.
/tinfoil hat

If Bioware couldnt come up with a satisfactory ending after 3 games, there is NO WAY I will pay for DLC. Never. I am done with Mass Effect. It is what it is, as they say. And I was a great fan of the series, dont get me wrong.

That said, I did not think the ending was as terrible as some made it out to be, but not outstanding either. I will try to avoid spoilers, although I dont know if it matters much anymore. There is one huge decision at the end of the game. I made one choice, and even though I did not particularly like the ending, I thought, well its OK. Then out of curiosity, I reloaded and made the opposite decision. The ending was exactly the same, except as someone else said, for the color of the energy pulse. That was my biggest problem with the ending. You play what, 3 games and maybe 50-100 hours, and the biggest decision you can make at the final end has no effect on the outcome? Incredibly lame.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Not sure if any of you guys were aware of it but supposedly both Amazon and EA are offering full refund for ME3 (not sure if it includes the Prothean DLC, or any BioWare points you might have added later on for multi-player packages purchases). I just wanted to point at it in case any of you out there wanted to be refunded or were wondering if it was possible at all. It apparently is. I haven't tried it myself though (and I won't, I myself am not looking to be refunded). At least the Amazon refund offer seems to work, not sure about the EA one.

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
Wow this video sums everything PERFECTLY. I thought everyone was exaggerating about the ending but it really was bad. The game throughout was amazing until that last 10 minutes to the citadel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E

I had both my squadmates, Tali and Javik, magically appear from the Normandy at the end as well

And does this sound familiar to you? From Deus Ex 1 ending.

When JC locates him, Page reveals that he seeks to merge with Helios and gain full control over all nanotechnology. JC is contacted by Tong, Everett, and the Helios AI simultaneously. All three factions ask for his help in defeating Page, while furthering their own objectives, and JC is forced to choose between them. Tong seeks to plunge the world into a second Dark Age by destroying the global communications hub and preventing anyone from taking control of the world. (Destroy Reapers) Everett offers Denton the chance to bring the Illuminati back to power by killing Bob Page and using the technology of Area 51 to rule the world with an invisible hand. (Control Reapers) Helios wishes to merge with Denton and rule the world as a benevolent dictator with infinite knowledge and reason. (Synthesis, somewhat) The player's decision determines the course of the future, and brings the game to a close.

Last edited:

AznAnarchy99

Lifer
Dec 6, 2004
around 40 hours in the game and still liking it;
worth every penny

The stories were awesome on the way.

My favorites that stuck out:

The back story of the Geth and the Quarian. I really felt sympathetic towards the Geth and their journey and how (my version) the Geth began helping the Quarians retake their home. Also when Grunt stayed back to protect my getaway I thought he was gone for good, then he did his bad ass bloody walk back to the ship

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
The stories were awesome on the way.

My favorites that stuck out:

The back story of the Geth and the Quarian. I really felt sympathetic towards the Geth and their journey and how (my version) the Geth began helping the Quarians retake their home. Also when Grunt stayed back to protect my getaway I thought he was gone for good, then he did his bad ass bloody walk back to the ship

I got so angry at the last part till well the part after. I mean I had just finished another series of missions that had taken its tole on me and I just wasn't ready for it, then the part after made me feel a lot better.

alent1234

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2002
Wow this video sums everything PERFECTLY. I thought everyone was exaggerating about the ending but it really was bad. The game throughout was amazing until that last 10 minutes to the citadel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M0Cf864P7E

I had both my squadmates, Tali and Javik, magically appear from the Normandy at the end as well

And does this sound familiar to you? From Deus Ex 1 ending.

When JC locates him, Page reveals that he seeks to merge with Helios and gain full control over all nanotechnology. JC is contacted by Tong, Everett, and the Helios AI simultaneously. All three factions ask for his help in defeating Page, while furthering their own objectives, and JC is forced to choose between them. Tong seeks to plunge the world into a second Dark Age by destroying the global communications hub and preventing anyone from taking control of the world. (Destroy Reapers) Everett offers Denton the chance to bring the Illuminati back to power by killing Bob Page and using the technology of Area 51 to rule the world with an invisible hand. (Control Reapers) Helios wishes to merge with Denton and rule the world as a benevolent dictator with infinite knowledge and reason. (Synthesis, somewhat) The player's decision determines the course of the future, and brings the game to a close.

or the Star Trek ending where the XO joins with vyger or the borg

i think it was Philip k dick that wrote one of the first human/machine conflict stories

DrunkenSano

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2008
around 40 hours in the game and still liking it;
worth every penny

I thought the game was amazing until the very end, then it's like you get smacked in the face with a giant WTF Wall.

It's like the writer wrote an epic piece then for the ending, he let some retarded 12 year old finish it.

gothamhunter

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2010
This was on a friend's FB wall...I checked and can't find anything - is he just spewing crap like he usually does?

wow...mass effect 3 players need to get a grip and a life. what a bunch of pathetic losers. cryn cuz the ending of the game wasnt what you wanted. taking it to the fbi like theyre gunna give a crap. u think the fbi has nothing better to do than help fix ur problems ever played final fantisy10? ever played starwars kotor? ever played haven on ps2? i did the endings all sucked but i got over it as soon as i hit the powerbutton. man fbi`s got missing kids, murders and crap like that to worry about. grow some balls and grow up u freaking pathetic losers cryn like little kids that got there binkys takin away. i hate people

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
This was on a friend's FB wall...I checked and can't find anything - is he just spewing crap like he usually does?

He's mostly an idiot. Technically there has been a complaint filed with the FTC, however seeing as anyone who bothers to fill out their online forms can file a complaint (so it appears, but I didn't actually go through it) it really doesn't mean anything.

Hell I could file a complaint that the Patriots losing the Super Bowl during their undefeated season was a case of false advertising or a complaint against JK Rowling for killing off a character I liked at the end of Harry Potter. Doesn't mean it's valid, just means I wasn't busy.

Last edited:

thespyder

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2006
Anyone seen this yet?

http://blog.bioware.com/2012/03/21/4108/

Kind of on the fence about it. First I think that they show real guts to address the issue head on. And they make it clear that constructive criticism is being evaluated and the destructive stuff is not. And I do hope that the ending is something more than what I have read.

but I still feel that they should have the right to stand on their creative integrity. Dono.