So who has the most sophisticated home network?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

scottws

Oct 29, 2002
Originally posted by: SilentZero
Originally posted by: JRock
Originally posted by: SilentZero
I'd love to run GSX server at home but just can't afford the $1,400 price tag :(

Download a Trial :)

Yeah but thats only for 30 days. I want something more permanent, just can't afford it :(
Maybe this will suit your needs?

VMware Server Replaces VMware GSX Server

VMware Server?a free virtualization product for Windows and Linux servers
VMware believes that the benefits of server virtualization should be universally available. Period. VMware has introduced free VMware Server Beta for immediate download.

http://www.vmware.com/products/gsx/

Boscoh

Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: MulLa
Thought there would be a lot more people with Cisco gear in here...

Cisco 1841 with an ADSL2 WIC
Cisco Catalyst 2950T 24 Port Switch
Cisco Aironet 1200 802.11b/g Access Point

Still debating if I should get a PIX... eBay is evil!!! :|

I dont run my Cisco gear on my home LAN. I use it for testing and learning.

Home LAN:
ZyXel Prestige 334W 802.11g router/firewall that I got for free for beta testing some Trend Micro stuff.

Lab:
Cisco PIX 501
Cisco 2600 router
Cat 2950 switch

MulLa

Golden Member
Jun 20, 2000
Originally posted by: spidey07
does a hodge-podge of 11 cisco 2500, 2600 and 4500 series routers, some 3500/2900/5500 switches count?

no atm gear, that stuff is dead.

Trust that to come from you, I wish I can get access to free stuff :p

InlineFour

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
mine's pretty simple.

all the devices are connected to a 3com superstack 3 3300.

-wrt54g
-4 workstations
-2 wifi laptops
-1 server (p3 800mhz raid 5) running windows 2003 and serves as an AD, DC, FTP, HTTP, and exchange.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
does a hodge-podge of 11 cisco 2500, 2600 and 4500 series routers, some 3500/2900/5500 switches count?

hey, I bought that. That's my home lab.
:)

I've been thinking about setting up a service where you can VPN in and use all you want. For a fee of course. I've got one 2500 acting as a teminal server for all devices so it's pretty hard to muck things up.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

hey, I bought that. That's my home lab.

I've been thinking about setting up a service where you can VPN in and use all you want. For a fee of course. I've got one 2500 acting as a teminal server for all devices so it's pretty hard to muck things up.

you're late to the game;)

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
really?

brings me in about 80 bucks a month so far, just contacts of course. nothing large scale.

But it pays for a few bets at the track.
:thumbsup:

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
really?

brings me in about 80 bucks a month so far, just contacts of course. nothing large scale.

But it pays for a few bets at the track.
:thumbsup:

:evil:

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
If you have Gigabit, fiber, arcnet, tokenring, and localtalk segments, I "might" be impressed.

Solokron

Dec 12, 2000
Linksys cable modem, router, switch, switch, additional cisco equipment (1900 catalyst, 4000, 2500). Devices attached: workstation, workstation, file server, Panasonic TVA50 voicemail system with management and email NIC connected to KX-TA624 24 port phone system, MAME arcade cabinet, Xbox, PS2, bedroom desktop, laptop.

SaigonK

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
www.robertrivas.com
Guess I will drop my setup in here. ;)

1 Teradyne cable modem
1 Cisco 1231 series AP (802.11b/g)
1 Netgear FVS318 Router
1 Nortel Contivity 1100 VPN box
PC is a run of the mill handbuilt 2.4ghz/1GB ram.
Dell CPxJ 650 laptop with docking station
Netgear SC101 NAS device (300gb raid 1 storage)
HP6500 printer networked for the house.
VOIP phone setup (vtech stuff)

A couple of Dell mini form factor Optiplex pc's that are slated to be house mp3 units.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002

I have a dude I work with running 10 boxes at home, full domain all that. We're on the networking team at MS and he is one of our Wireless/VPN/IPSec SMEs.

I'm going to spare you the details of his network but I'll just say this: He carries around a SecureID on his keychain. :Q

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Smilin
I have a dude I work with running 10 boxes at home, full domain all that.
I have something like that home:
SBS 2003 Server with ISA 2004 and SQL 2000
Asterisk@Home Server (Linux-based, and experimental for now)
9 clients (2 laptops, 5 XP Pro desktops, 1 MCE 2005, 1 WM5 PDA)
Vonage/Linksys PAP2
Nortel Venture 3-line phone system
Travan 40GB USB tape drive (which isn't really big enough to be useful anymore, but I have lots of free tapes from old Dell Server deals)

My REAL company SBS Server is located elsewhere, but I like actually working from one at home, so I see any issues that my clients might see.

blemoine

Jul 20, 2005
you don't have Sh_t if your not using SecureID Authentication at home.

Smilin: Does the "dude" you work with have the SecureID so his Imaginary girl friend won't logon and find all his pron.

ok enough of the foolishness why does he have SecureID on a home pc?

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Because he can mostly. It's certainly not something the average individual could afford to deply.

He does such advanced troubleshooting with authentication that when the secureid guys got wind of him they hooked him up with his own system just so he could stay on top of their part of the game. It's all plugged into his home ISA and Radius servers and whatnot. I've logged onto the environment before to do a repro for a customer. It's pretty pimp. Most people I know on AT and at work have the usual multi-machine & maybe a virtual domain or two. This is all on the next level.

your comment about the pr0n and girlfriend indicate some sort of assumed nerdiness. your mental image of him should probably lean more towards the professional/expert side. He's one of the top wireless guys in the country (among other things).

ktwebb

Platinum Member
Nov 20, 1999
This is more about hardware ON the network rather than the network but since others have posted with similar entries.... My actual network gear is very vanilla. Basic 10/100 8 port switch. All I need really. Most of my servers are Virtualized on a single physical box. Cat5E for the wired gear, AP punched in for the wireless nodes

IBM XSeries server running ESX 2.5 with various Virtual Machine Servers (DC's, member servers, Webservers etc, etc... These are mostly WIndows though I have a couple of Linux VM's. Just don't touch em much) This is just a lab for work, certs and play.

Gaming box,
IPCOP PentiumPro200 machine for routing,filtering, and so on.
Laptop for browsing
Occasionally a work laptop. Both notebooks attach wirelessly
The AP is a BuffaloTech Access Point, .11g
HPTV, also attached wirelessly. Not the best solution for an HPTV machine but I don't capture much anyway so transferring data is usually a non issue.

h0mi

Jan 2, 2001
I've got a relatively simple setup.

I have a wrt54g running dd-wrt by my cable modem with my HP 2510 all in one network printer (wired network... the wifi didn't want to work on my setup with WPA or WEP), an xbox and a ps2 connected to it. This replaced a p330 zyxel that did the routing. I have in my bedroom 2 computers connected (wired) to a 2nd p330 which acts as a bridge to the main router. I wouldn't say its worked flawlessly, but since switching to the wrt54 3 days ago, so far so good. Even with the p330 router, the bridge part worked pretty ok... Ive just had issues with bitttorrent connections. The bridging is more complicated than most people's home networks but it isn't anything special compared to youse guys's setup, and I'm using WPA at the moment. DDwrt is pretty nice... I just gotta learn more about radius and how to get identd running on the router. The zyxels also run linux... my knowledge of linux isn't very signifncant so it's not like I could do any developing on it but I should donate 1 of the zyxels to the ddwrt project to port it to that router. Openwrt seems nice but extraordinarily complicated to me. (I bricked a v3 wrt54 trying to run that firmware- stupid "linksys" button and no "bootsafe" setting).

I have 2 more wrt54s... 1 is sitting in its box, waiting for the zyxel bridge to anger me (or the other wrt54 to do so). The other is a v1 which surrendered its minipci nic for my laptop. I also have a dlink di-624 I'm probably going to use so I can connect my DS to play mariokart. I also have an SMC switch or hub & a linksys switch or hub (I forget which is which) lying around the other room somewhere. So I have 6 routers right now, 2 hubs or switches, 4+ computers, a network printer/scanner and 3 consoles. I've thought about modding the xbox, or building a htpc or buying a networked dvd player (basically a dvd player than can also play your media files on your pcs over your lan) but I've not really had the desire to do this yet... streaming to my TV isn't something I'm too interested in yet.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: Smilin
Are you using secureID authentication? :p
Hehehe...I would if I had the money to throw away. Those things are expensive if you actually have to pay for them. I'd love to play with them if I got them for free. :)

megamojo

Feb 19, 2006
My roomate and I have 4 Desktop PCs running in a single dorm room. (We each have a windows box and a linux (slackware) box. We don't like the restrictions and slow speed of the school's provided internet so we split the monthly cost of cable internet with a few other people who live next door. (Unless you're talking about HUGE bandwidth, anything shared among a handful of people will be faster than something shared among 3000 computers.) However, there are certain advantages to being hooked up to the school's network, mainly access to school servers, so each computer is multihomed. I finally got this working great this year after learning all about routing tables. Our cable internet comes in through a D-link dcm-202 cable modem in our common room and then goes into and old computer we bought from the school for $2 with the IP-Cop router distro installed, then into an 8-port 10/100 switch we put on top of the ceiling tiles from which it distributes to our room and our neighbors' rooms. Our downlink from that then goes into a D-link 8-port gigabit switch (no jumbo frames:() and to our four computers. We also have a cheap 8-port 10/100 switch connecting our computers to the wall jack that the school provides. Like I said before, that magic that makes this double network work smoothly is manually configuring your routing table.

And then there's the all-night LAN parties I throw in the science hall 5 times a year. Our last had over 50 computer gamers in addition to console gamers, halo players, and DDR for around 150 people all together. All of the networking gear was purchased cheaply off ebay from our cheap ($2) admission price that gets our attendees unlimited soda. Green indicates gigabit and red indicates power. The few computers shown are servers.
LAN party layout

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
I wish I had the time, money and (most importantly) space to setup everything I've got. The computer room is already noticably hotter than the rest of the apartment. :(