So I ordered a fidget spinner

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Wtf back in my days we spin pencils and pens. And expect chaulk to be thrown at you. By the teacher no less.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Back in my day we used to walk 10 miles uphill in a snowstorm naked to spin pencils and pens.

Oh and we used to make switchblades out of rubber bands and popsicle sticks.

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I just bought one of these for my nephew.It has flashing lights on the edges.Im guessing hes going to have hours of fun with it LOL.I also have an experiment box thingy for him(makes fake turds,has slime that makes fart noises etc) it will do as an add on pressie i suppose.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I just don't get the appeal. I've watched some videos of what you can do and it's very underwhelming. Am I missing something?

Reactions: clamum

Zanovar

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2011
I just don't get the appeal. I've watched some videos of what you can do and it's very underwhelming. Am I missing something?

Nope.Im guessing my nephew is going to spin it and be amazed how long it spins for(like i was)and never spin it again:p.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004

It's just the latest toy. Same as slap bracelets, pogs, etc. They're all silly short-term fads.

But my LED fidget spinner is the booooooooooomb :D

TXHokie

Platinum Member
Nov 16, 1999
I bought a few. Not impressed. Where's the battery rechargeable Bluetooth Alexa remote controlled version? I'm too lazy to spin it, with my own hands.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
If you want to twirl stuff get yourself some devil sticks. Or even more fun easily build one yourself. There are tons of videos on line on making your own and playing with them.

Reactions: lxskllr

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
If you want to twirl stuff get yourself some devil sticks. Or even more fun easily build one yourself. There are tons of videos on line on making your own and playing with them.
didnt know until now! thanks!

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
This is just another thing that the ADD generation needs. They have no concept of being bored or doing "nothing".

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001

You're not 8 years old.

I think they're fine, cheap and not annoying. Could be worse.

In the end the kids just want to be cool with their friends. These devil sticks are neat but too bulky to bring to school and I have no doubt they'd ban them right away. They did ban fidget spinners here too - not entirely sure why unless they were pulling them out in the middle of class.

This is just another thing that the ADD generation needs. They have no concept of being bored or doing "nothing".

It's all about fads because kids don't have a lot of things going on at school/home, even if they play 3 organized sports weekly. We don't let them play video games / watch tv much during the weekdays so what else are they left to do inside the house? Not into legos or cars anymore. They read... and that's about it. If you're talking about outside the house - nobody does that for more than 30 minutes and you're going to have to watch them for the most part. When your kid gets older, you'll see. "Daddy play with me" can only happen so many times and only for short periods.

Last edited:

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
My wife and I were walking in Heckscher State Park and she found one on the ground. She gave it to me and I just couldn't stop playing. It had a the center wheel but the three outer sections were three setting color LED lights. I couldn't put it down. My wife was getting mad. I was acting like an 8 year old. She took it away from me when we got home. :(

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
They did ban fidget spinners here too - not entirely sure why unless they were pulling them out in the middle of class.
That's exactly why. Kids would start spinning them in class and it would distract the other kids. Teachers hate the damn things.

ctbaars

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
Day one in my daughters elementary school. Two people had spinners.
Day two all but two had spinners.
End of Day two, Day three. District wide BAN. Automated phone calls from school board and principle.
(This is literal)

Reactions: Thebobo

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
It's all about fads because kids don't have a lot of things going on at school/home, even if they play 3 organized sports weekly. We don't let them play video games / watch tv much during the weekdays so what else are they left to do inside the house? Not into legos or cars anymore. They read... and that's about it. If you're talking about outside the house - nobody does that for more than 30 minutes and you're going to have to watch them for the most part. When your kid gets older, you'll see. "Daddy play with me" can only happen so many times and only for short periods.
Huh? There is a bajillion more things to do now a days than years ago.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2006
images

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca

Oh wow I totally used to do that. I had that exact ruler. If I recall some of them the pencil fit all the way in the hole, you could really spin that fast by holding both ends of the pencil with both hands and ruler in the middle, and hope it does not hit your chin and cut you. Some of them had a copper ledge that was quite sharp.

As for the fidget spinner there is really no "point" to it, I might play with it for a while then give it to one of my nephews or something. haha. Though it may be something to mess around with while waiting for a program to compile. :p

And devil sticks wow have not heard of those in a while. They were all the rage when I was in school. That and pogs. Pogs were huge. your coolness factor was determined by how many pogs you had. If you had a metal slammer you were king.