So, ATOT, what are you planning on spending the 3rd round of Coronabucks on?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Stiff Clamp

Feb 3, 2021
Just checked ... I now have ungodly amounts of money in my bank account. My gracious. Great when the bank takes care to auto-replenish my account ... without my consent.

[ Already listed what I'd blow it on earlier in this thread. ]

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
12" deli slicer (you can find them NIB for around $380 if you shop around). I cut a lot of stuff on my small slicer now, but could use a larger size for bigger-sized stuff, so this is a good opportunity to increase the functionality for me. Typical usage includes:

1. Meats (typically sous-vide + smoke them)
2. Cheese (buy in blocks)
3. Bacon
4. Jerky (dehydrate or sous-vide then dehydrate)
5. Fruits & veggies (typically to dehydrate, but also for salads & stuff, I don't really even use my mandolin anymore tbh)
6. Bread (I mostly make no-knead bread, and also sandwich bread in a Pullman loaf pan; the serrated blades are better than the smooth blades at cutting bread, but you can just freeze the bread for like 20 minutes to make it stiffer)

I've been using a smaller-sized one for a number of years & really love it - you can save a ton of money by buying in bulk & slicing at home! Literally all you do is set the thickness on the machine, the slice the food back & forth on the cutting wheel, then clean it up. If you don't need a monster-large size, you can get a 9" slicer for $99 on Amazon these days:

A couple great articles on how you can save money with them:

You can also do lots of random stuff with it, like slicing potatoes thin for homemade potato chips!

1615998988404.png

They do sell dedicated bacon-slicing machines:

As well as bread slicers:

But I think having a giant freakin' Xena-style circle blade should do the trick haha!

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
12" deli slicer (you can find them NIB for around $380 if you shop around). I cut a lot of stuff on my small slicer now, but could use a larger size for bigger-sized stuff, so this is a good opportunity to increase the functionality for me. Typical usage includes:

3. Bacon
5. Fruits & veggies (typically to dehydrate, but also for salads & stuff, I don't really even use my mandolin anymore tbh)
6. Bread (I mostly make no-knead bread, and also sandwich bread in a Pullman loaf pan; the serrated blades are better than the smooth blades at cutting bread, but you can just freeze the bread for like 20 minutes to make it stiffer)

I've been using a smaller-sized one for a number of years & really love it - you can save a ton of money by buying in bulk & slicing at home! Literally all you do is set the thickness on the machine, the slice the food back & forth on the cutting wheel, then clean it up. If you don't need a monster-large size, you can get a 9" slicer for $99 on Amazon these days:
We had a decent deli slicer when I lived in Germany. It was a 220V unit, so it sort of just got handed from one family to the next when you got orders to PCS back the USA. I don't think I'd use one enough to justify the space at this point, but they are nice to have :)

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

3. Bacon

A couple great articles on how you can save money with them:

You can also do lots of random stuff with it, like slicing potatoes thin for homemade potato chips!

View attachment 41289

They do sell dedicated bacon-slicing machines:

As well as bread slicers:

But I think having a giant freakin' Xena-style circle blade should do the trick haha!
You ever cut a slice so thin you can't even see it?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Locking thread while we figure out who needs a hot poker in the eye for taking this P&N.

AT Moderator ElFenix
I am asking that certain posters refrain from arguing P&N style in this thread.

If you can't stop doing it then this thread will be locked and infractions handed out.

Iron Woode

Super Moderator

Geez...you guys must be a ton of fun at parties... :rolleyes:

Got my BidenBux this morning. We still have to fence the back yard...fckng coyotes tried to grab out aging little rat dogs a few weeks ago...I need to replace my sliding patio door...I could use an insulation upgrade under my floor...
Say...how many hundreds of thousands of $$$ are we getting?

There is but one legitimate venue for commenting on the moderation, Moderation Issues.

Perknose
Forum Director

Last edited by a moderator:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999

Got my BidenBux this morning. We still have to fence the back yard...fckng coyotes tried to grab out aging little rat dogs a few weeks ago...I need to replace my sliding patio door...I could use an insulation upgrade under my floor...
I am actually pretty fun at parties.

we have to enforce the rules, though.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Sounds like those coyotes tried to do you a favor.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
fckng coyotes tried to grab out aging little rat dogs a few weeks ago
Wouldn't it be cheaper to just shot the coyotes? Maybe if you just shoot one and stick it's carcass on a pike, the rest will catch your drift.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Taxes. I am spending mine on taxes.
My Federal tax bill this year was $5800.
Biden's stimulus relief dropped that to $2600
Between the wife and I we got $2800 stimulus $.
So, $200 left over. That should get me some cocaine and a one legged hooker.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Taxes. I am spending mine on taxes.
My Federal tax bill this year was $5800.
Biden's stimulus relief dropped that to $2600
Between the wife and I we got $2800 stimulus $.
So, $200 left over. That should get me some cocaine and a one legged hooker.
2 legs just get in the way.

Reactions: olds