So, all you "doom and gloomers", when will times be "good" again?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: LegendKiller

Again, what do you do? Ohhh yes, you have no real knowledge of your own, you troll these posts in a thugish way in vain attempts to somehow belittle me only because you can only fight with YouTube and somebody else's knowledge. You're the quintessential RPB.

Funny, if you didn't "give a shit" about me, then you wouldn't be responding to my posts. Obviously you do.

Eh think what you will, you have that right. If you fell off this message board I honestly wouldn't give you a second thought. You are enchained to your own ego. You have to defend yourself at every turn. Thats quite funny.

As for what I do? Well now, I do a little bit of nothing and do more nothings. I am nothing. But you sir sure are mighty. I bet that gets tiresome :)

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
Is a ~1% population growth really a problem?

It adds up over time. Today we're at about 307 million. At a rate of about 32 million every ten years we'll be at or over 450 million by 2050. In the meantime, the world population is expected to get to reach the 7 billion mark in a couple years.

I don't like the idea, this malevolent universe type of premise, anymore than you do, but the land only has a certain carrying capacity for us and the affluent lifestyles we want place a large demand on the land and its resources.

And as a % of population, immigration legal and illegal cant be as high as it was at the turn of the century(1900).

I don't know, but a 32.7 million increase over ten years is a growth rate of 12% over ten years. Regardless, the situation is a little different today than it was at the turn of the last century; there is no longer an open frontier; we've expanded to occupy the Western part of the country.

I'd say two things scare people.

Oil costs
Dollar falling meaning higher costs to import.

Both are big drags on our economy atm. I feel with a few changes the gasoline situation can work itself out relatively painlessly. More carpooling, more mass transit use, or better yet more telecommuting.

It's the Peak Oil problem that scares the piss out of me. I think we'll eventually develop and implement alternatives, but will they be as efficient and economical as the use of petroleum used to be and what about the production of plastics? I was encouraged by the article about the bacteria that excrete diesel.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper
Originally posted by: Genx87
Is a ~1% population growth really a problem?

It adds up over time. Today we're at about 307 million. At a rate of about 32 million every ten years we'll be at or over 450 million by 2050. In the meantime, the world population is expected to get to reach the 7 billion mark in a couple years.

I don't like the idea, this malevolent universe type of premise, anymore than you do, but the land only has a certain carrying capacity for us and the affluent lifestyles we want place a large demand on the land and its resources.

And as a % of population, immigration legal and illegal cant be as high as it was at the turn of the century(1900).

I don't know, but a 32.7 million increase over ten years is a growth rate of 12% over ten years. Regardless, the situation is a little different today than it was at the turn of the last century; there is no longer an open frontier; we've expanded to occupy the Western part of the country.

I'd say two things scare people.

Oil costs
Dollar falling meaning higher costs to import.

Both are big drags on our economy atm. I feel with a few changes the gasoline situation can work itself out relatively painlessly. More carpooling, more mass transit use, or better yet more telecommuting.

It's the Peak Oil problem that scares the piss out of me. I think we'll eventually develop and implement alternatives, but will they be as efficient and economical as the use of petroleum used to be and what about the production of plastics? I was encouraged by the article about the bacteria that excrete diesel.

Peak oil solves a lot of issues you have with the current economy. Container prices have doubled from china in last 4 years for example.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
The earth is doomed if population expansion is not curtailed. And it probably won't be curtailed voluntarily. Every problem relating to resource depletion stems from this. Just like the folks that said we'd never run out of oil, there are folks that say we'll never run out of room for more people. It seems it is the religious saying this most vociferously. Once again, religion is going to be our downfall. The only thing that will save us is if we have the massive world war I predict will occur and half of earth's inhabitants are killed off. So, in a way, I should pray that we have exponentially more people so that we can get it over with.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: seemingly random
The earth is doomed if population expansion is not curtailed. And it probably won't be curtailed voluntarily. Every problem relating to resource depletion stems from this. Just like the folks that said we'd never run out of oil, there are folks that say we'll never run out of room for more people. It seems it is the religious saying this most vociferously. Once again, religion is going to be our downfall. The only thing that will save us is if we have the massive world war I predict will occur and half of earth's inhabitants are killed off. So, in a way, I should pray that we have exponentially more people so that we can get it over with.

All the predictions I see say it will level off at abut 9 billion. I'm not clear why, but the predictions are clear.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007
Originally posted by: Craig234

All the predictions I see say it will level off at abut 9 billion. I'm not clear why, but the predictions are clear.
Really, how interesting. Any links?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

Google finds it quickly, but here's the major UN study.

seemingly random

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2007

Google finds it quickly, but here's the major UN study.
Thanks. I've heard of google but get confused trying to use it since the homepage is so cluttered.

Oct 30, 2004
Originally posted by: Zebo
Peak oil solves a lot of issues you have with the current economy. Container prices have doubled from china in last 4 years for example.

How does that solve anything? Higher energy prices merely act as an extra tax or a damper to the economy regardless of where something is produced. Perhaps the cost of shipping will restore a natural barrier to international trade, but the high cost of fuel will still be bad.

Oct 30, 2004

Well, at some point people would start dying off from starvation and disease at a rate that would equal the number of new people born, resulting in zero population growth.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Well, at some point people would start dying off from starvation and disease at a rate that would equal the number of new people born, resulting in zero population growth.

The current prediction have the population leveling off in the next 20 years or so. There is a simple reason for this, as the countires become more wealthy, they simply have fewer kids.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

I don't get the impression that's the reason, though.