Smug guy: "Blowing in NES carts never did anything"

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JeffMD

Platinum Member
Feb 15, 2002
Lol.. blowing does nothing. We have all the evidence that shows that simply reseating and scraping oxidized contacts through insertion will fix connection problems... and evidence that shows your pie hole isn't going to do anything special to make it magically spring to life. If there was anything covering the contacts enough that your wonderful set of lungs could correct, then it would equality be removed by the sliding of the contacts on the connector edge.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Lol.. blowing does nothing. We have all the evidence that shows that simply reseating and scraping oxidized contacts through insertion will fix connection problems... and evidence that shows your pie hole isn't going to do anything special to make it magically spring to life. If there was anything covering the contacts enough that your wonderful set of lungs could correct, then it would equality be removed by the sliding of the contacts on the connector edge.
"Evidence?" I'd love to see it.

Absolutely none has been provided. That's why this thread exists. Supposition is "evidence" now?

Can you explain why, in the two-stacks test, the results were overwhelmingly in favor of blowing? Each game was seated only once. None of them were re-seated.

Lovely that the anecdote from the gentleman with the Game Boy got wiped in the forum reset 2 days ago. I don't even remember his username.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If actually blowing on NES carts did anything, then why did my friend that owned a used game store, use a swab and ammonia to clean the contacts of used games?

Put me in the "blowing is a useless superstition" camp.

Edit: No, I never blew on my carts, and I never had an issue. I never called them "tapes", either.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
If actually blowing on NES carts did anything, then why did my friend that owned a used game store, use a swab and ammonia to clean the contacts of used games?

Put me in the "blowing is a useless superstition" camp.

Edit: No, I never blew on my carts, and I never had an issue. I never called them "tapes", either.
I use a swab and 1 part 99% pure electronics grade alcohol + 1 part distilled water, as recommended by Nintendo's own official cleaning kit (yes, contradicting the warning label on every game).

You think we are talking about cleaning? We are talking about the assertion that blowing had no effect beyond just reseating.