Smart Home & Home Automation discussion thread

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
what is a simple n easy to use hub in 2018? i plan to set something up for the parent. starting with a motion sensor so they can use it as a cheap security system. no more SimpliSafe.
a $35 zwave motion detector can alert their phone when they are out. maybe a zwave button to press to "arm" the house. so that the motion detector in the living room will only alert when the house is armed

SmartThings is what you want.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Mount Genie offers wall/ceiling mounts for the Echo Dot: (2nd-gen)

https://mountgenie.com/products/the-flush-mount-for-echo-dot-second-generation

Available on Amazon: ($20)

https://www.amazon.com/Flush-Mount-Built-Speakers-built/dp/B072TLJQK1

3_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Alexa Hands-Free is now available on the 7th-generation Fire 7 and the 7th-generation Fire HD 8 running software version 5.6.1.0:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=202083830

The 7th-generation Fire HD 10 has had this functionality since software version 5.5.0.0. Special note on the 7 & 8 tablets:
Fire 7 (7th Generation) and Fire HD 8 (7th Generation) devices support Alexa hands-free when the device is being used, or when the device is connected to a power source (whether it is asleep or not). They do not support Alexa hands-free when the device is asleep and unplugged, or asleep and connected to a low power source, such as a USB port on a computer. To adjust the amount of time before the device goes to sleep: swipe down from the top of the screen to open the quick actions menu and then tap the Settings (gear) icon. Tap Display, and then tap Display Sleep to adjust the time it takes for your Fire tablet to enter sleep mode.

So the 7 & 8 needs to either be unlocked or plugged in for Alexa to work on the smaller tablets. The HD 10 has the always-listening mode enabled by default (although you can choose to have it disabled if the screen is off, if you want).

My only gripe is still no Spotify via Alexa support on the tablet! Some sort of licensing issue with Spotify. Works with the Echos & Dots, just not the tablet, which is annoying because I'm in the kitchen a lot & it's really convenient to change songs or audio sources using Alexa by voice if my hands are messy.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Purchased a Schalge Connect lock and installed it this weekend. The strange thing is I had no problem pairing it with my Smartthings hub however it refuses to pair with Schlage's Sense app. Anyone that has one of these have any suggestions? I'm going to call their support number when I get home from work today but it just seems odd that it was easily paired with the hub but not the manufacturer's app.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Purchased a Schalge Connect lock and installed it this weekend. The strange thing is I had no problem pairing it with my Smartthings hub however it refuses to pair with Schlage's Sense app. Anyone that has one of these have any suggestions? I'm going to call their support number when I get home from work today but it just seems odd that it was easily paired with the hub but not the manufacturer's app.

Is yours the Bluetooth model or the Z-wave model? You need the Schlage Sense Wi-fi adapter if you want to pair it to the Schlage app:

https://www.schlage.com/en/home/products/BR400.html

Bluetooth lock --> Wi-fi adapter (needs to be within ~40 feet of the lock for BT range) --> Mobile app (app talks to Schalge adapter over Wi-fi, adapter talks to lock via Bluetooth)

Did your Schlage Connect pair via Bluetooth or Z-wave to your SmartThings hub originally?

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Is yours the Bluetooth model or the Z-wave model? You need the Schlage Sense Wi-fi adapter if you want to pair it to the Schlage app:

https://www.schlage.com/en/home/products/BR400.html

Bluetooth lock --> Wi-fi adapter (needs to be within ~40 feet of the lock for BT range) --> Mobile app (app talks to Schalge adapter over Wi-fi, adapter talks to lock via Bluetooth)

Did your Schlage Connect pair via Bluetooth or Z-wave to your SmartThings hub originally?

ST Bluetooth isn’t functional.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
ST Bluetooth isn’t functional.

In that case, it must have paired via Z-wave to ST. Unless he has a Schalge Wi-fi adapter & then connected that to the ST hub (if supported that route?).

Although I know they have some other wireless units now, haven't kept up on everything since mine has been working properly (yay).

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
It is supposed to be Z-wave, here is a link to the exact model I have.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage...art-Lock-with-Alarm-BE469NX-CAM-716/203814066
Works great with Smartthings, I can lock/unlock from the app.

So there are basically 2 types of Schlage locks:

1. Bluetooth (Sense series)
2. Z-wave (Connect series)

The Bluetooth ("Sense") models can be controlled via your phone using the Schlage Sense app (if in range) or via Wi-fi (using a BT-to-Wifi bridge adapter). That is a different model from what you have. If you want to use the official Schlage app, you'd need this version of the lock:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-Camelot-Aged-Bronze-Sense-Smart-Lock-BE479AA-V-CAM-716/206432288

The Z-wave models require a third-party hub:

https://www.schlage.com/en/home/products/BE469NXCAMFFF.html

Per the support page, you need one of the following hubs to work with your Z-wave ("Connect") Schlage lock:

1. SmartThings
2. Wink
3. Iris by Lowes
4. Nexia
5. Alexa by Amazon

It looks like the Sense handles all of that integration (either via Bluetooth or through the Wi-fi bridge accessory), plus has HomeKit integration & can change entry codes via the app. So if you're still within the return period & want to use the official Schlage Sense app, you'll want to swap out your Connect model for the same Sense model.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
But in order to add it into the Echo it requires the lock be registered with the Schlage Sense app. I will double check and make sure I downloaded the right app from Schlage but I'm pretty sure there was only 1 app available.

Edit: So reading more of this and it is bizarre. I don't have the install and user guides with me here at work but I am pretty sure they said to download and install that app as well. I am fairly new to this stuff so I guess I am missing something here.

Last edited:

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
But in order to add it into the Echo it requires the lock be registered with the Schlage Sense app. I will double check and make sure I downloaded the right app from Schlage but I'm pretty sure there was only 1 app available.

Hmm, confusing. Their webpage has some fine print:

https://www.schlage.com/en/home/keyless-deadbolt-locks/connect.html
Works with Amazon Alexa ** When paired with a third-party home automation or alarm system

So based on what I'm reading, it appears to be an authorization thing:

1. If you have the Sense model (Bluetooth), you can use the Sense app to pair the lock to Alexa.

2. If you have the Connect model (Z-wave, which you have right now), you can have to link the lock to your SmartThings hub, and then link your Alexa to ST. Here is the procedure:

https://support.smartthings.com/hc/...-How-to-connect-Amazon-Alexa-with-SmartThings

Apparently the iOS/Android "Sense" app only works with the Bluetooth "Sense" door lock models. Everything else has to go through a linking setup with a third-party hub in order to work with Amazon. So you basically need to login to your SmartThings account through the Alexa app & get to the point where it says "Alexa has been successfully linked with SmartThings" so that Alexa can relay the command through your ST hub to the lock.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Thanks I finally stumbled on a bit of that and I was using add skill instead of Smart Home. You just saved me some time because I didn't realize I needed to add the hub to the Echo. Makes sense now.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Thanks I finally stumbled on a bit of that and I was using add skill instead of Smart Home. You just saved me some time because I didn't realize I needed to add the hub to the Echo. Makes sense now.

I have a similar setup with my lights: I issue a voice command to my Echo, which then relays it to my Lutron Caseta light switches via my Lutron Smart Bridge hub. The hub bridges the unique radios in the light switches to the Wi-fi to Amazon Alexa. Works real quick too, usually only a second delay, if that.

I held off on doing voice control with Alexa for a long time, but now my family is hooked & we can never go back lol. The voice recognition is superb & the convenience of using voice control is just ridiculous. It's like keyless entry on a car - once you have it, it's such a pain to go back lol.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Sensibo Sky - Overview and Impressions

I bought a Sensibo Sky last week in order to run some automation tests. To give some background, I have a large two-story home with my office on the second floor in the NE corner. There isn't much air pressure coming from the central air ducts and since my servers, PCs, and network equipment is in there, the room can get to 85+ during the summer even with central air running. A few years ago, I bought a Honeywell portable AC unit for the room and had a clear polycarbonate window with the vent cutouts made so I could install it (I have casement windows, so the typical window kit included with portable ACs won't work).

Anyway, I had tried to control this air conditioner with my Logitech Harmony hub, which I have integrated with SmartThings. It did work, but there some disadvantages to how I implemented it:

1. Harmony can only run one activity at a time. So if I wanted to watch TV in my office, the TV activity would turn the AC activity off when activated. I don't believe you can do device-level (i.e., no activity) control through SmartThings though you can with the Harmony software. However, I need ST integration so this quickly became an issue.
2. There was an issue with turning the AC off - it wouldn't turn the AC off consistently. I thought it might have been an issue with the Harmony's config for the Honeywell AC, but as I later found out, it wasn't.

So, I saw the Sensibo Sky on sale for $119 and bought it. There are cheaper ways I could have done this (using a Remotec ZXT-120, a Broadlink IR unit, or even another Harmony hub dedicated to the AC), but I decided to try Sensibo since it is dedicated to air conditioners and has a SmartThings integration. The app is also pretty cool if I ever decide I need to use it. Here is what I found:

1. The Sensibo unit integrates nicely with SmartThings. The smartapp and device handler are available in the community.
2. The native app is a bit confusing and hard to find things at first, but it has a lot of nice options (timers, temperature settings, etc). Basically, it can be a standalone thermostat for any IR-controlled AC even without a smart home hub.
3. The problem I mentioned with the Harmony not consistently turning the AC off? Yeah, Sensibo had the exact same problem. What appears to be happening to me is that the AC control panel "goes to sleep" after a certain amount of time. Once it goes to sleep, the initial "off" command seems to wake the control panel and then the next power toggle turns it off.

I'm guessing that Honeywell's actual remote must be sending a wake command every time because it ALWAYS works. So because this integrates well with SmartThings, I came up with a great solution to fix the issue using webCoRE:

1. I created a virtual on/off button in SmartThings called Honeywell Power.
2. In webCoRE, I created a piston (i.e., a program) which monitors the state of the button:

ON: When the button changes to ON, the program makes sure the window is open for venting, checks the power value on the AC's energy monitor switch, and turns it on if all conditions are met.

OFF: When the button changes to OFF, the program sends a "lowercoolsetpoint" and then a "raisecoolsetpoint" to the AC. This wakes the control panel and doesn't actually permanently change the set point. After a 1 second delay, the OFF command is sent and the AC turns off.

So, I now have everything running the way I want. Am I going to keep the Sensibo Sky? I think I will keep it and I'd definitely recommend it if you need a "thermostat" for your portable AC. However, there are probably cheaper ways to do this if you have a smart hub so that is something to consider.

Last edited:

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
http://7l44n.fnd.to/keywe

KeyWe : THE SMARTEST LOCK EVER!
Smart Lock Redefined.

Pretty cool automated lock, Uses standard batteries AA I think, and will alert you when the batteries get low, but, having wifi, bluetooth, and Zwave compatibility is pretty nice... Basically it uses low powered bluetooth, so when you get close enough to the door it will unlock, and when you leave it will relock. Pretty nice. Never get locked out of your home again. Unless you lose your phone and keys. Or you lose your key and you let the batteries drain to zero.

It's on kickstarter... Cheers!

Reactions: IndyColtsFan

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
IKEA is launching low-cost smart window blinds:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/07/ikea-kadrilj-fyrtur-smart-window-blinds/

* Available February 2nd overseas
* Roughly $113 to $181 pricerange
* Uses the existing IKEA Tradfri lighting gateway (compatible with Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, and Apple Homekit)

I am VERY excited to see some affordable blinds. $100 to $200 per motorized blind is still pricey, but not really much above what Home Depot chargers for crappy blinds, lol.

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004
Moen's shower system adds more voice support:

https://www.engadget.com/2019/01/06/u-by-moen-google/

The usual Alexa, Siri, and Assistant all work with it now. You can also shortcut the ask-device command in Alexa (i.e. "Alexa, tell Moen to turn on the shower") and just say "Alexa, turn on the shower". Verbal preheating FTW!

Kaido

Feb 14, 2004

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Rundown of the best (according to PC mag version) products for 2019: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410889,00.asp

You have to be very careful believing mainstream, consumer-oriented sources when it comes to smart home tech. The article is questionable for a few different reasons:

1. Wink 2 - there is no way I'd recommend Wink to anyone, as there are far better, more powerful, and more flexible alternatives. Wink is a dead end.
2. Brilliant - Brilliant switches are outrageously priced and there are far cheaper and more flexible ways to achieve the same goal.
3. The iHome suggestion is questionable at best, as it gets mixed reviews by most folks.
4. The list is very disjointed and seems to be just a bunch of stuff thrown together without regard to interoperability or compatibility.

lsd

Golden Member
Sep 26, 2000
Those articles are almost always revenue driven.
I hate going through my Google news feed and seeing ads masquerading as reviews. So much garbage nowadays.

You have to be very careful believing mainstream, consumer-oriented sources when it comes to smart home tech. The article is questionable for a few different reasons:

1. Wink 2 - there is no way I'd recommend Wink to anyone, as there are far better, more powerful, and more flexible alternatives. Wink is a dead end.
2. Brilliant - Brilliant switches are outrageously priced and there are far cheaper and more flexible ways to achieve the same goal.
3. The iHome suggestion is questionable at best, as it gets mixed reviews by most folks.
4. The list is very disjointed and seems to be just a bunch of stuff thrown together without regard to interoperability or compatibility.

Reactions: IndyColtsFan