Smart 512MB PC2100 for $21.30 @ Buy.com... Price Mistake...?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

wibambau

Nov 28, 2002
Thanks for the info! I ordered a couple myself - looking into a little bit, I found the same price listed if you go through dealram.com (right on the homepage choose PC2100 & this deal is the first one listed.) Also, a blurb about Smart Modular here states this stick uses the same chips as the Samsung stick. It's worth a shot.

masonardo

Dec 25, 2002
I thought about this one a little, but passed when I did some more checking and found that every one of the items that Buy.com sells made by Smart Modular (7 different ones) are out of stock-backordered. I'd be surprised if they will ever get these in.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: masonardo
I thought about this one a little, but passed when I did some more checking and found that every one of the items that Buy.com sells made by Smart Modular (7 different ones) are out of stock-backordered. I'd be surprised if they will ever get these in.

Hey, what do you have to loose? So your slightly disappointed because a deal you didn't expect to go through did exactly that, but hell, itd be sweet if the order did actually go through.

wetcat007

Diamond Member
Nov 5, 2002
You have a forbidden word in your message post. Please click the back button in your browser and remove this word from your post. The words that are forbidden are highlighted for you.

Smart 512MB PC2100 for $21.30 @ Buy.com... Price Mistake...?
Dude is this crap quality memory or something? Something doesnt seem right bout it, no info on it, probabily non working stuff u cant return.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I've had this happen before with buy.com. For some stupid reason, the price of the items that are on backorder drop to a really cheap price, then when they get stock back in, the price goes back up. I've ordered backorder stuff like this in the past and the deal went through.

Sal

billtmore

Jun 20, 2001
Salvador...if the price on the backordered items went up when they were back in stock...did the deal GO through or FALL through not sure which you mean't but a big dif...not that it matters in this case...trust me guys if billtmore is trying to get in on this deal it will not work...I am always being punished especially when it comes to ram buy too soon it goes down wait and it goes up it has never failed!!!!

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
This deal does seem different than the deals that I've done in the past where you order it on backorder and actually get it. Apparently, after reading more information on fwallet's site, this is a heavily backordered or even discontinued item.

When I did order a backordered item from buy.com in the past at the lower price, I got the lower price even though when they got it back in stock, they raised the price. I've ordered stuff before at Office Depot on backorder at the discounted price and they "adjusted" my price to the normal price after they got the item back in stock. I think it was RAM that I ordered at something like $30 a stick and then when my order went through, they charged me $69 a stick. I just returned the RAM.

Sal

uwannawhat

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2002
Just ordered a little while ago. My order has already finished processing & has been sent to warhouse for shipping.

Thought this was on backorder?

Oh well, we'll see. Thanks for the heads~up corinthos :)

faZZter

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2001
Oh please go through, will let me upgrade the wifes computer with RAM this cheap!

zoiks

Lifer
Jan 13, 2000
mine too. But it says on the site that if the item is in stock then it'll ship in 24-48 hours. So probably they check for availability after they 'Send' it to the warehouse.

Salvador

Diamond Member
May 19, 2001
I've had orders that were "sent to the warehouse", only to be put on backorder status later. My point is that even if your order is sent to the warehouse, it doesn't mean anything. I think they check stock at that point and if they have it, they fulfill it. If not, it goes on backorder status. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. :(

Sal

CoolLight

Dec 26, 2002
Let's see how the show plays. ;)

If everyone go through with their deals, Ingram Micro is the Santa of 2002! :D

BG4533

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2001
I ordered 2 last night. My order has been sent to warehouse and my CC has already been billed. Is this their normal policy, to bill for orders that aren't in stock? Think they will compensate us in anyway if they cancel the orders?

RBlount

Jan 3, 2001
As has been mentioned in other threads, this obviously is a screw up in Ingram Micro's database. I check this morning and the currently have almost 11,000 of these on back order.

Sensing that we will probably not see these!

-Rob

BG4533

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2001
Now it says "This item is currently unavailable from the manufacturer". Looks like it is not going to happen.

SlowSS

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2002
This is what I got when I tried to order the RAM.

Currently Unavailable
This product is currently unavailable from the manufacturer. We are not accepting orders for it at this time. Please check our web site for future availability.

Lark888

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Buy.com's policy is NOT to bill until product is shipped. Lesson learned early from billing for Celerons and Hitachi 19" Monitors :). I suspect that they put a 'reserve' against your card but didn't actually bill you CC company yet.