Smart 512MB PC2100 for $21.30 @ Buy.com... Price Mistake...?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ToxicMussels

Dec 9, 2000
Here is the email about my order from Applied-Computer:
Sorry, there is no longer any stock available on these, and no ETA for more. Your order has been canceled.
:disgust:

vtqanh

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: BG4533
I ordered 2 last night. My order has been sent to warehouse and my CC has already been billed. Is this their normal policy, to bill for orders that aren't in stock? Think they will compensate us in anyway if they cancel the orders?

No, your CC has been charged an authorization charge, to see if your remaining credit on your CC is enough for the order. That authorization charge will be cancelled within 72 hours. They will issue a final charge later when they ship the product. If they never ship it, they will never charge you

Richardito

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2001
Ha, ha. Take a look at this e-mail I got from Applied...

>
>Yes, and the least expensive one is $104.41 ea.
>Would you like 3 of those?
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: [mailto:*********]
>Sent: Thursday, December 26, 2002 2:00 PM
>To: John Schweizer
>Subject: RE: Web Site Order
>
>
>Dear Sir,
>
> This order is for an easily substituted product,
>memory. I see no reason in your part to simply cancel
>the order. Please substitute with any 512MB PC2100
>stick of memory available.

>********.
>
>--- John Schweizer <Schweizerj@samintl.com> wrote:
> Sorry, there is no longer any stock available on
> these, and no ETA for more.
> Part is heavily backordered.
>
> Your order has been cancelled.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: ***************
> [mailto:***************]
> Sent: Wednesday, December 25, 2002 8:56 PM
> To: John Schweizer
> Subject: Web Site Order
>
>
> Part No. Description
> Qty Price
> Subtotal
> GM6464DDR3H1 512MB PC2100 NON ECC DDR DIMM
> PC2100 64X64 184PIN CL2 DIMM / NMS 3 20.63
> 61.89

BG4533

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Richardito
Ha, ha. Take a look at this e-mail I got from Applied...

>
>Yes, and the least expensive one is $104.41 ea.
>Would you like 3 of those?

Sure...for about $20 each ;)

VBboy

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
1. I don't know what you all expected.
2. I hope you aren't going to go to ResellerRatings and cry about how Buy.com ripped you off, violated your trust, and failed to deliver this product ;)

Common sense is a must in online shopping :)

I do not represent Buy.com, only myself.

CoolLight

Dec 26, 2002
Originally posted by: VBboy
You bought 100? And you bought 500? Who cares. Press-release:

Today, VBBoy (Nasdaq: VBBY), a young trillionare, has finished buying out several large Internet companies. The list includes but is not limited to: Buy.com (BUY), Amazon.com (AMZN), Ebay.com (EBAY), and Yahoo.com (YHOO). The new owner is quoted as "being pretty happy with his purchase". CNN and MSNBC have made announcements earlier today regarding this transaction. Reportedly, VBBoy has made his first trillion dollars by taking advantage of the Anandtech (tm) Hot Deals.

Are you sure you don't represented Buy.com? Dude, you owned the company already. LOL :D

VBboy

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2000
Originally posted by: CoolLight

Are you sure you don't represented Buy.com? Dude, you owned the company already. LOL :D

Come on, I just own it, I don't represent it :)

MrPhelps

Golden Member
Sep 9, 2001
Originally posted by: VBboy
1. I don't know what you all expected.
2. I hope you aren't going to go to ResellerRatings and cry about how Buy.com ripped you off, violated your trust, and failed to deliver this product ;)

Common sense is a must in online shopping :)

I do not represent Buy.com, only myself.

I totally agree with you, I ordered 1 stick and if it doesn't come oh well. I hope people don't try to screw the companies name on a mistake(alledge).
:eek:

RBlount

Jan 3, 2001
Just check on Ingram Micro's web site. This product has completely dissappeared from their database (at least to resellers.)

Expecting the "Sorry, but we will be unable to fullfil your order" email from Buy any time no.

-Rob

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
If I was a betting man, I would put 10K on DOA for these orders.....:frown:

DestruyaUR

Jan 23, 2002
<onlykidding>

OMGOMGOMGOMGWTFWTFWTFWTF I bought 10000 of these things because I was going to make myself rich reselling them on fleBay...buy.com crushed my DREAMS of becoming the RAM CZAR of the world! I'll NEVER do business with them again (until they have another valid deal or pricemistake which I'll also jump on and try to overly exploit to the detriment of others - I just won't tell you guys about it), because this is an ABHORRENT way to treat customers. I'm a customer and the customer is always right! BTW, do you think it was my order that ruined it for all of you guys? Pfft, oh well - why am I asking when I so blatantly don't care?!?! I'm off to rob some blind people because it's a victimless crime!

</onlykidding> :D

Richardito

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DestruyaUR
<onlykidding>

OMGOMGOMGOMGWTFWTFWTFWTF I bought 10000 of these things because I was going to make myself rich reselling them on fleBay...buy.com crushed my DREAMS of becoming the RAM CZAR of the world! I'll NEVER do business with them again (until they have another valid deal or pricemistake which I'll also jump on and try to overly exploit to the detriment of others - I just won't tell you guys about it), because this is an ABHORRENT way to treat customers. I'm a customer and the customer is always right! BTW, do you think it was my order that ruined it for all of you guys? Pfft, oh well - why am I asking when I so blatantly don't care?!?! I'm off to rob some blind people because it's a victimless crime!

I think that it's time for your medicine...

DestruyaUR

Jan 23, 2002
Heh - I just get kinda sick of people who whine about getting "screwed" out of what was obviously a pricemistake and had to vent. I was in on the Walmart Unreal II thing, and I knew it was going to get nixed, but tried anyway. No class-actions, no boycott, just a "shucks."

udonoogen

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2001
apparently they intend on honoring these orders. they haven't cancelled them as expected.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We are still working on shipping the following item(s) from order #XXXXXXXX.

You will not be billed until your product actually ships. If you wish to cancel your order for this item, or if you have any questions, please visit customer support or let the buy.com eXpert below answer your order questions.

Thank you for your patience,

Krista Smith
Director, Customer Support

rdh

Apr 10, 2002
I totally agree with you, I ordered 1 stick and if it doesn't come oh well. I hope people don't try to screw the companies name on a mistake(alledge).
:eek:

ditto. I ordered one stick, and only because it was soooo cheap. It was obviously a mistake... the 256Mb stick was like $78 so the 512 at $21 should probably have been $121 and someone screwed up. I really want PC2700 or PC3200 but if this comes I would still use it. If it doesnt come.. so what.? PC2100 is almost obsolete already so who really gives a flying f***?

TSDible

Golden Member
Nov 4, 1999
I ordered 2 sticks so that I can run them as a pair on a new nforce board... but I'm not holding my breath.

Wolverine27

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2000
Originally posted by: DestruyaUR
<onlykidding>

LOL!!! Funny stuff DestruyaUR! Scary thing is, that someone out there really does think like this!
rolleye.gif

gft

Dec 29, 2002
We WILL get this memory. From what I've seen, this price mistake was on purpose. According to what I just read on buy.com's site, they have a price mistake each day. In the email we all recieved, there is a link to the buy.com eXpert. It's basically a FAQ. One of the questions is "What is a Price Mistake of the Day?" And here is the answer:

"A Price Mistake of the Day is a promotional offer where a different item is offered each day at a reduced price. You can read the terms and conditions for this promotion below.

Everyday a different product from one of our fantastic stores will be offered at an incredibly low price. The special pricing will last for 24 hours or until the number of products we set aside for the special pricing runs out, whichever comes first. Act quick, otherwise you will miss out on a great opportunity!
The Price Mistake of the Day is a promotional item. Therefore, it cannot be combined with any other promotion, free shipping or coupon offer.
Due to the nature of this promotion, we cannot accept returns for non-defective Price Mistake of the Day items.
Defective Price Mistake of the Day purchases can be returned within 14 days of your product's shipping date for replacement (when available) or credit.
The Price Mistake of the Day shipping charge may differ from a similar product type featured on our site."

So you see, this is not really a "price mistake", but a special deal that only a few are supposed to get in on. I'd say let's find and post every day's price mistake, but if they lose too much money to it, they'll probably stop doing it. But it would be fun... :)

-gft

LukFilm

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Can I have what you are smoking? Seems to be really good stuff.
rolleye.gif
'Price Mistake Of The Day' and this "price mistake" are TWO separate things, LOL :D

gft

Dec 29, 2002
Well, somebody had to say it! :disgust: Anyway, after looking in the archives of so-called "price mistakes" I decided you are right. Um, about the price mistake part, not the smoking part. :)

-gft