singers who don't need a processor to sound good

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
wth, hamasaki sounds horrible with or without processing.

best jpop female voices, yamaguchi momoe and nakamori akina.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus
Sting I defy you to tell me there is processing in his voice during his performances. I've seen him live and he's just a great performer.

Synchronicity

Wlaking on the Moon

\thread

if by "great performer" you mean stand there and bore you then yes, I agree.

His voice does sound good however.

BAMAVOO

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Mloot
Martina McBride

Saw her live and all I can say is WOW. She was on stage with several top country stars and none of them even came close. George Straight also sang at that same concert, they should have let Martina do the entire concert!

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: Ns1
Sting I defy you to tell me there is processing in his voice during his performances. I've seen him live and he's just a great performer.

Synchronicity

Wlaking on the Moon

\thread

I guess you need the theatrics/dance moves that all the fake singers of the current generation do on stage?

Or do you just not care for his music?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Synchronicity

Wlaking on the Moon

\thread

I guess you need the theatrics/dance moves that all the fake singers of the current generation do on stage?

i like most of his music and i think he sounds good. but as a solo artist i find him boring live and as part of the police i find his bandmates outstage him

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Synchronicity

Wlaking on the Moon

\thread

i like most of his music and i think he sounds good. but as a solo artist i find him boring live and as part of the police i find his bandmates outstage him

I guess that explains their success in their solo careers. :laugh:

Hyperlite

Diamond Member
May 25, 2004
Originally posted by: Shawn
Originally posted by: pray4mojo
lol britney spears

seriously. lay off the shrooms.

Now Amy Lee, she can sing!

too bad shes a raging b!tch. :frown:

Loreena KcKennitt FTW, allison krauss and enya are also spectacular.

1prophet

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: uhohs
wth, hamasaki sounds horrible with or without processing.

best jpop female voices, yamaguchi momoe and nakamori akina.

We can actually compare nakamori to hamasaki side by side, I wouldn't say she sounds like akina (because akina and momoe are naturals while ayumi had to train very hard to control her voice ) but I definetly wouldn't call her horrible, especially if you compare her to britney like in the op.

Shoujo A (Nakamori Akina & Hamasaki Ayumi)

DESIRE -??- / ???? × ?????

Now this is the top of the line when it comes to J-pop circa 1978

And the best female J-pop artist of the 80's, Akina Nakamori singing Desire.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Yellowcard? I hope I missed the part where that was a joke. Speaking of joke, they are the worst band I have had to sit through for the main act.

rbV5

Lifer
Dec 10, 2000
I've seen a variety of great street musicians who sounded excellent over the years (sure, way more bad than good, but when you hear good....damn it is special) but the Mariachi bands we saw in Mexico were fantastic. Great harmonies and excellent playing from almost every band we saw (plenty)

Anyone familiar with the Portland Blues scene is familiar with Linda Hornbuckle, and she can definately sing. (belt it out) Alot of gospel singers have the pipes (think Ray Charles, even Elvis)

Aaron Neville uses processing to sound good, but I think it exists somewhere between his throat and where it comes out of his mouth.

Ann Wilson of Heart is another great singer who I've seen numerous times. Truely a great voice, that somehow still sounds great.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Quintox
Originally posted by: fire400
Originally posted by: ElFenix
have you heard the clip where they accidentally left britney's microphone on during a concert?

lol

P!NK turned Spears down when Spears asked her to help with new lyrics as of 07 'cuz P!NK claimed Spears as an "entertainer" not a singer.

P!NK is just jealous she'll never be as big as Spears in even 25 life times all stacked up.

Some music videos are worth watching only half way... coriagraphy (spelt rong?) sucks for a lot of them.

WTF are you talking about

QFMFT

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Synchronicity

Wlaking on the Moon

\thread

I guess that explains their success in their solo careers. :laugh:

meh. weezer is very successful but listening to them live is like practicing for the 2007 boredom championships

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Michael Buble sounded incredible in concert a couple of years ago; by far the best live performance I've ever witnessed. I have tickets to see him again in the spring.

Jodell88

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Pugnax
Originally posted by: OpenThirdEye
Originally posted by: Vidda
Originally posted by: Printer Bandit
T-Pain

Best nomination yet. :D

I see your T-Pain and raise you with Soulja Boy!!!!

Haha, I was looking for the T-Pain comment. I wonder if he has ever BSOD'd on stage?

I give you the great Snoop Dog. Sexual Eruption might be NSFW

ryan256

Platinum Member
Jul 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Originally posted by: 1prophet

When did this processing become the norm, 70's,80's etc.?

As long as I can remember - 1970's.

Bad singing is just bad singing though and should be immediately recognizable. Problem with today's shows the men and boys have a huge distraction bouncing around on the stage thus making their critique highly influenced!

You know what the best part about getting a BJ from <the spice girls, Spears, misc no talent pop girl> is?

fire400

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2005
Originally posted by: compuwiz1
Man, what a fucked up list to choose from in the OP.

Elvis
Celine Dion
Paul Potts
Mariah Carey
Robert Plant
Michael Bolton
Tony Bennett
Steven Tyler
Steve Perry
Andrea Boceli
Diana Krall
Nancy Wilson
Nat King Cole
Natalie Cole
Harry Connick Jr.
Bon Jovi
Don Henley
Meat Loaf
Gino Vanneli
George Benson
Peabo Bryson
Luther Vandross
Keb Mo
BB King
Eric Clapton
Michael McDonald ( his voice could make me go gay)

Just to name a few. ;)

lol, if it grabbed your attention, your purpose is served.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: fire400
Originally posted by: ElFenix
have you heard the clip where they accidentally left britney's microphone on during a concert?

lol

P!NK turned Spears down when Spears asked her to help with new lyrics as of 07 'cuz P!NK claimed Spears as an "entertainer" not a singer.

P!NK is just jealous she'll never be as big as Spears in even 25 life times all stacked up.

Some music videos are worth watching only half way... coriagraphy (spelt rong?) sucks for a lot of them.

Weird. I completely forgot that you don't have to be at least 13 years old to sign up for the Anandtech Forums.