Sinclair Forces Local News Anchors To Recite Trumpian-Sounding Promos

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Of course it is, places like that are were folks on the right go to get their rage batteries charged up. Until you can wean both sides from the extremist one sided news there is no hope for them.
It's actually a left leaning station, other than the morning guy's.

I find it a little odd that you fellows feel so threatened by that statement. What specifically is the problem with it? I find nothing threatening in it.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
This is all perfectly predictable. When conservatives hear objective news they disagree with its evidence of liberal bias. Therefore they feel fine about forcing conservative propaganda onto actual news stations.

Jan 25, 2011
It's actually a left leaning station, other than the morning guy's.

I find it a little odd that you fellows feel so threatened by that statement. What specifically is the problem with it? I find nothing threatening in it.
It goes hand in hand with Trump and the right wing echo sphere to discredit all media that isn’t them. Sites like Breitbart, infowars etc... are being given legitimacy by this administration while they simultaneous attack any media that doesn’t lick their balls. Fox News has literally become a propaganda arm of the White House at this point. More so than ever before. Vague statements like this are meant to continue that trend as those receptive to them are the ones who already are buying the bullshit they’ve been force fed.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It goes hand in hand with Trump and the right wing echo sphere to discredit all media that isn’t them. Sites like Breitbart, infowars etc... are being given legitimacy by this administration while they simultaneous attack any media that doesn’t lick their balls. Fox News has literally become a propaganda arm of the White House at this point. More so than ever before. Vague statements like this are meant to continue that trend as those receptive to them are the ones who already are buying the bullshit they’ve been force fed.
I'll accept that.
The thing with the news services and infowars (I wouldn't call it a news service) is an easy one, don't watch. I gave it all up years ago and don't miss it. I do pay attention to local news, and ignore anything politically oriented because it's almost always spin.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'll accept that.
The thing with the news services and infowars (I wouldn't call it a news service) is an easy one, don't watch. I gave it all up years ago and don't miss it. I do pay attention to local news, and ignore anything politically oriented because it's almost always spin.
Statements like this are made by the extreme right wing media with the specific goal of you discounting all political news, except theirs of course. It seems this campaign has worked on you.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Statements like this are made by the extreme right wing media with the specific goal of you discounting all political news, except theirs of course. It seems this campaign has worked on you.
I guess it worked better than they thought, as I don't trust right wing media either.

cfenton

Jul 27, 2015
It sounds like a bunch of vague fear-mongering. If there is a problem with a national news story then call it out specifically and explain why it's wrong.

The part of the statement I find objectionable is "“I’m [we are] concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one sided news stories plaguing our country..." This implies that the anchor shares that opinion. It seems odd that the station can force an anchor to make a particular statement about their beliefs, especially if the anchor doesn't share those beliefs. If it started with 'Sinclair Broadcasting is concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one sided news stories plaguing our country...' I think that would be less problematic. Though, it would still be vague fear-mongering that has no place on any reputable news channel.

Reactions: ivwshane

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Here in the Puget Sound (Seattle) region, KOMO 4 is the local Sinclair station. They run "Bottom line with Boris" at the end of the 11 am news hour, every day. It seems kind of telling (at least to me) that a so-called conservative news outlet would run a piece by a Moscow-born Russian...

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/sin...ncrease-segments-donald-trump-1202490923/amp/

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boris_Epshteyn

(Who, (coincidentally?) was a member of the Trump campaign...)
Yea, I saw that clown for the first time about a month ago and said WTF. I guess they are just appealing to the Hutchison crowd (ex newscaster on that station that turned into a Republican politician).

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Most of it comes from a radio station I listen to at work. KGO in the bay area.

What part of the statement do you find objectionable?
Because that's exactly what Sinclair New is doing. All of the things in that statement is what THEY are doing. Once again conservatives project what they do.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Luckily there’s none in my area.

The problem is, while you get to directly avoid seeing/hearing this bullshit, there are millions of people (who vote) nationwide that are subjected to it and end up having their views influenced and tainted by the local news company's biases.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
The problem is, while you get to directly avoid seeing/hearing this bullshit, there are millions of people (who vote) nationwide that are subjected to it and end up having their views influenced and tainted by the local news company's biases.
The area I moved from had one, I’ve seen the bullshit they push. That station owner ran the required crap at 3am when no one was watching.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
He & a lot of other people are just trying to deny one of the most prescient & profound observations of the modern era- "facts have a liberal bias".
You're reading a lot more into a simple statement than it contains.
For me "fake news" started years ago when NBC (I think) did an expose on the dangers of GM's side mounted fuel tanks. They did a demonstration and rolled a truck, and sure enough it burst into flames. Proof beyond doubt that GM was putting peoples lives at risk. What they missed were a couple frames in the video that clearly showed a toy rocket motor they used to ignite the tank. GM sued, people were fired, and I was a young man wondering why a trusted news service would outright lie to me.
That was the day I realized that getting viewers was the holy grail, and integrity takes a back seat to profit. Lots of people will lie for money or agenda. If you don't believe that you're a fool. It happens all the time, alternate facts, I misspoke, a different interpretation, all of those are used to cover lies. We accept it as long as we agree with the lie being told.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
For me "fake news" started years ago when NBC (I think) did an expose on the dangers of GM's side mounted fuel tanks. They did a demonstration and rolled a truck, and sure enough it burst into flames. Proof beyond doubt that GM was putting peoples lives at risk. What they missed were a couple frames in the video that clearly showed a toy rocket motor they used to ignite the tank. GM sued, people were fired, and I was a young man wondering why a trusted news service would outright lie to me.
That was the day I realized that getting viewers was the holy grail, and integrity takes a back seat to profit. Lots of people will lie for money or agenda. If you don't believe that you're a fool. It happens all the time, alternate facts, I misspoke, a different interpretation, all of those are used to cover lies. We accept it as long as we agree with the lie being told.

Please. You extrapolate from a single long ago incident. I could cite others, as well, but it doesn't change the overall reality.

Recall this thread & the chart within-

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/media-bias-chart.2539800/

Conservatives trust news that is not fact based a helluva lot more than libs or progressives. Fox News enjoys a market share of approximately 1/3. Hannity is one of their most popular programs along with Tucker Carlson, neither of whom deal in facts in more than a peripheral way.

On the other side of it we need to get to some rather obscure left sources before we're even in the same vertical block.

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
Fake news started for me when I was about 8 or 9, and saw copies of Weekly World News, and The National Enquirer.

Being able to discern bullshit from truth has no relation to whether the bullshit is for or against your political notions.

And the mainstream media is, you're correct, in it for the money. Which is why they peddle the BothSidesDoIt™ bullshit.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
You can't just call someone stupid without explaining why. Well, I guess you can. Freedom of speech is a glorious thing.
Indeed! Especially when it's feeding stupid people what they want to hear or false information they're stupid enough to buy. Sinclair is a danger to the country plain and simple. So are the people buying the shit they're peddling. Is it their right? Sure but I hope Sinclair is destroyed and the stupid are somehow educated but it WON'T be from the information Sinclair feeds them.

Feeding shit to [willing intellectually/humanitarian stunted] people SHOULD be illegal.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Indeed! Especially when it's feeding stupid people what they want to hear or false information they're stupid enough to buy. Sinclair is a danger to the country plain and simple. So are the people buying the shit they're peddling. Is it their right? Sure but I hope Sinclair is destroyed and the stupid are somehow educated but it WON'T be from the information Sinclair feeds them.

Feeding shit to [willing intellectually/humanitarian stunted] people SHOULD be illegal.

I see. We should set up some kind of agency to determine who is smart enough to hear free speech and to punish anyone who tells them words. Have you thought through the ramifications of your knee jerk laws designed to silence people who's political opinion you don't approve of? Besides, I get the feeling that you wouldn't make the "allowed to hear free speech" list.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I see. We should set up some kind of agency to determine who is smart enough to hear free speech and to punish anyone who tells them words. Have you thought through the ramifications of your knee jerk laws designed to silence people who's political opinion you don't approve of? Besides, I get the feeling that you wouldn't make the "allowed to hear free speech" list.
If it shut down Sinclair andTrumpublicans I'd be ok with that.

Reactions: Thebobo