Sinclair Forces Local News Anchors To Recite Trumpian-Sounding Promos

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Wait, what? I thought if something's legal then it's necessarily uncontroversial. Are they permitted to do what's being done? If so, case closed. Sinclair isn't the government, fools. It's clear none of you understand the constitution.

Reactions: Pipeline 1010

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Wait, what? I thought if something's legal then it's necessarily uncontroversial. Are they permitted to do what's being done? If so, case closed. Sinclair isn't the government, fools. It's clear none of you understand the constitution.

They understand the constitution just fine. They just hate it and hate that it prevents them from running other people's lives. It's an authoritarian thing.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
They understand the constitution just fine. They just hate it and hate that it prevents them from running other people's lives. It's an authoritarian thing.

Nicely delusional. While they have the right to do so, it's Sinclair broadcasting playing the authoritarian with their station managers in this instance.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Nicely delusional. While they have the right to do so, it's Sinclair broadcasting playing the authoritarian with their station managers in this instance.

Saying or not saying things isn't authoritarian. Passing laws to make people say things or not say things is.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

lolwut. I have no idea what planet you would have to live on to believe something so stupid.

I guess abortion's legal so it's uncontroversial! Who knew!?

justoh

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2013
Funny. Maybe a couple have some vague, superficial understanding. Definitely most of them are proving themselves to be hypocrites and authoritarian bullies, yet again.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Because it's so easy to walk away from ones livelihood?

Did it not occur to you that you might get a new job and THEN quit or quit and then quickly find a new job? Have you never done either of these? Perhaps you thought I meant quit, give up on life, and go home to live out the rest of your days until starvation or the scurvy gets you. I can assure you, that was not what I meant.

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Plus no positive job reference.

Not even after a 2 week notice? It's like you are just resigned to either doing things you don't like to at a job, or passing laws to jail the boss who asked you to do things you don't like. There are obvious alternative options if you'd care to spend a few seconds thinking.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Not even after a 2 week notice? It's like you are just resigned to either doing things you don't like to at a job, or passing laws to jail the boss who asked you to do things you don't like. There are obvious alternative options if you'd care to spend a few seconds thinking.

Would you care to elaborate? There seems to be a lot of inference in your post.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Did it not occur to you that you might get a new job and THEN quit or quit and then quickly find a new job? Have you never done either of these? Perhaps you thought I meant quit, give up on life, and go home to live out the rest of your days until starvation or the scurvy gets you. I can assure you, that was not what I meant.
*sigh* sure, everything you said. Though I'd add that if you think it's that simple it's only because you're simple.

I assure you moving my whole life to a place where I knew absolutely no one is not an unknown to me.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
When the thing you don't like is an order to mislead, misrepresent or outright lie about the news to the people... That's, well there's no other way to put it the "boss" should be punished. Are you honestly missing that point?

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
When the thing you don't like is an order to mislead, misrepresent or outright lie about the news to the people... That's, well there's no other way to put it the "boss" should be punished. Are you honestly missing that point?

Punish the boss by quitting. Unless there is legal fraud involved, you shouldn't jail someone for lying about news. Don't work for assholes and don't do things that assholes tell you to do.

Edit: Sinclair are super totally assholes. I agree on that :)

Last edited:

Pipeline 1010

Golden Member
Dec 2, 2005
Why? Because you believe govt is the only authoritarian entity?

That's far from true.

Government is the only entity who can take away your freedom and jail you for not doing what they say. I have had an authoritarian boss before (not gov't). I would have happily quit if he had not been fired for being a dick.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Punish the boss by quitting. Unless there is legal fraud involved, you shouldn't jail someone for lying about news. Don't work for assholes and don't do things that assholes tell you to do.

Edit: Sinclair are super totally assholes. I agree on that :)
Sounds so simple. Not sure how you think it's that simple but power on dude.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I am simply amazed at how easily people are convinced that news stations should be converted into propaganda outlets rather than objective information sources. How are they convinced? Because someone has told them the objective reality they don't like is all lies in an effort to sell them an ideology.

This is the post-fact ideology. The ideology of authoritarianism where ideology is more important than reality or facts.

Reactions: jackstar7 and Indus

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Government is the only entity who can take away your freedom and jail you for not doing what they say. I have had an authoritarian boss before (not gov't). I would have happily quit if he had not been fired for being a dick.

That's false logic. "I would have quit" is bullshit. Maybe you would have, at a time of your choosing, but you did as he said in the meanwhile. It's like Trump's claim that he would have charged in unarmed to stop an active shooter.

Reactions: Younigue

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So the people who have been complaining about fake news and a biased media are ok with actual fake news and a biased media?

Righties, who knew they were hypocrites?

Everyone. Everyone knew.

Reactions: Younigue

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So the people who have been complaining about fake news and a biased media are ok with actual fake news and a biased media?

Righties, who knew they were hypocrites?

Everyone. Everyone knew.

Well I imagine the way they view bias is a bit different than other people as they think news is biased when it tells them things they don’t want to hear. From their perspective you can tell how credible a news source is by now closely it hews to what they already want to believe.