Sinclair Forces Local News Anchors To Recite Trumpian-Sounding Promos

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
After all the complaining of bias in the mainstream media, this is just too goddamn ironically pathetic. News station owned by right-wing Trump supporter forced to recite promos praising Dear Leader's ideals. Real fake news calling real news fake news.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sinclair-local-news-promos-trump_us_5aa1499de4b0e9381c1634cd

Sinclair Broadcast Group is reportedly requiring local news anchors at TV stations it owns to recite pre-written promotional spots disavowing the national media’s “fake stories” and “personal bias” ― some of President Donald Trump’s favorite punchlines.

Sinclair, one of the biggest owners of local TV stations in the U.S., with 193 outlets in 89 markets, sent scripts of the promos to news directors, instructing that they be produced “exactly as they are written,” according to CNN.

“I’m [we are] concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one sided news stories plaguing our country,” the spot begins. “The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media. More alarming, national media outlets are publishing these same fake stories without checking facts first. Unfortunately, some members of the national media are using their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control ‘exactly what people think’ ... This is extremely dangerous to our democracy.”

It concludes that reporting facts ― which are neither “left nor right” ― is their duty as journalists. All Sinclair stations had to run an almost identical segment last year as well, The New York Times reported.

“I felt like a POW recording a message,” one anchor at a Sinclair-owned station told CNN

Sinclair has a history of advancing a conservative agenda. Another recent iteration of right-wing bias came in the form of a requirement that its stations air pro-Trump segments featuring Boris Epshteyn (a former Trump White House official) nine times per week.

The media giant is trying to expand its reach in major cities with a proposed deal to acquire 42 stations currently owned by Tribune Media.

“You should find out who owns your local station and bear that in mind as you watch,” HBO’s John Oliver warned in a segment devoted to Sinclair that aired last summer.

Sinclair did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Reactions: Thebobo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
After all the complaining of bias in the mainstream media, this is just too goddamn ironically pathetic. News station owned by right-wing Trump supporter forced to recite promos praising Dear Leader's ideals. Real fake news calling real news fake news.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/sinclair-local-news-promos-trump_us_5aa1499de4b0e9381c1634cd

Sinclair Broadcast Group is reportedly requiring local news anchors at TV stations it owns to recite pre-written promotional spots disavowing the national media’s “fake stories” and “personal bias” ― some of President Donald Trump’s favorite punchlines.

Sinclair, one of the biggest owners of local TV stations in the U.S., with 193 outlets in 89 markets, sent scripts of the promos to news directors, instructing that they be produced “exactly as they are written,” according to CNN.

“I’m [we are] concerned about the troubling trend of irresponsible, one sided news stories plaguing our country,” the spot begins. “The sharing of biased and false news has become all too common on social media. More alarming, national media outlets are publishing these same fake stories without checking facts first. Unfortunately, some members of the national media are using their platforms to push their own personal bias and agenda to control ‘exactly what people think’ ... This is extremely dangerous to our democracy.”

It concludes that reporting facts ― which are neither “left nor right” ― is their duty as journalists. All Sinclair stations had to run an almost identical segment last year as well, The New York Times reported.

“I felt like a POW recording a message,” one anchor at a Sinclair-owned station told CNN

Sinclair has a history of advancing a conservative agenda. Another recent iteration of right-wing bias came in the form of a requirement that its stations air pro-Trump segments featuring Boris Epshteyn (a former Trump White House official) nine times per week.

The media giant is trying to expand its reach in major cities with a proposed deal to acquire 42 stations currently owned by Tribune Media.

“You should find out who owns your local station and bear that in mind as you watch,” HBO’s John Oliver warned in a segment devoted to Sinclair that aired last summer.

Seems like a threat to democracy and free speech. So now our oligarchy is buying up reality.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006

Yea thats Channel 7 ABC in the wash DC area. I avoid it always.
I saw the John Oliver piece a couple months ago.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
<shrug> Private company, you take the king's gold, you dance the king's jig.

But the airwaves are public

You should watch the Oliver video he explains it well. And there some examples of the forced comments for the newscasters. Its really bad.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
My local ABC affiliate is Sinclair and their news has become nearly unwatchable.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Though it's been many years since I'v had faith in any news service.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
But that's exactly what Sinclair always intended on doing. There's zero surprise here. I'm really disappointed that Sinclair even exists.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I'd read a fair amount about Sinclair before the John Oliver piece but I thoroughly enjoyed his piece on them. More informative than anything else I had previously read.

Reactions: ch33zw1z

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I remember many years back when I was a business agent for a union that represented the shop where I worked and our leader picked me to appear for a local TV news interview. Turns out the interviewer was a classmate of mine and the first thing he told me as part of the prep for the interview was that the station he worked at was owned by Rupert Murdoch and he was told to ask a specific list of questions that was quite accusatory and adversarial of unions in general.

So I gave it my best shot, defended unions in general as best I could and the interview got shit canned not five minutes after I finished it. My classmate told me the desk chief was monitoring the interview and "didn't like my answers". Then my classmate gave me a thumbs up because he was also a union member of some guild he belonged to.

That was the first and last time I personally had anything to do with sabotaging Murdoch's agenda.

Reactions: NTMBK and feralkid

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
So what's the solution? Require an independent review panel to give shows a rating based on accuracy, bias, and/maybe political leaning?

This sort of thing isn't going away and its getting worse now that we have a president complicit with a foreign power spreading propaganda. We can all point it out but unless you realize you are being lied to how would you average American know what they don't know?

MooseNSquirrel

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2009

Sounds pretty reasonable to me. Though it's been many years since I'v had faith in any news service.

Hmmm pray tell, where do you get your news?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Really need to spread the word.

Sinclair's new media-bashing promos rankle local anchors
http://money.cnn.com/2018/03/07/media/sinclair-broadcasting-promos-media-bashing/index.html
180307153829-sinclair-anchor-script-780x439.jpg

Text from script to be read by Sinclair's local anchors

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
You guys with only one Sinclair station are lucky. In San Antonio, Texas we have three: the NBC affiliate, the FOX affiliate, and the CW affiliate.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Luckily there’s none in my area.

You are lucky because if there was you would be forced to watch it. Continuously. 24 hours a day with no breaks. You might even hear something you disagree with. Here. In America. Can you believe it?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Most of it comes from a radio station I listen to at work. KGO in the bay area.

What part of the statement do you find objectionable?

Why should corporate be telling a local news agency what to say?

AND tell me a fake news story the "national media outlets" are pushing? Please tell me one. Was it the Pizza pedaphile shop?

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
KGO is owned by Cumulus, a right wing Co.
Third largest radio station owner iirc.

Of course it is, places like that are were folks on the right go to get their rage batteries charged up. Until you can wean both sides from the extremist one sided news there is no hope for them.