SIM City 5 - Actual Strategy Discussion

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
didn't really get a thrill out of the driving missions, and because my general dislike of regions I still somewhat prefer 3 to 4.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
i also have a private region that needs some good players. America East 4 is the server. Falafelist is my in game name if you want an invite.

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I like the way this person did their roads.

Spark_2013-03-16_14-04-17.png

Spark_2013-03-19_21-46-26.png

Spark_2013-03-19_21-47-04.png

Spark_2013-03-19_21-47-57.png

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Where did that road layout come from/got anything more? The key to understanding what has been done I feel lies outside the pictures given, because its kind of important to know how the res zones are attached to the central road.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I'd really like to get this game, but I didn't like how complicated Sim City 4 became. I remember doing everything right in that game, but someone was always whining. By the time I met everyone's needs half of my city was utility/park/entertainment, etc... Then of course, I could not afford it. But the worst part is, I didn't get any skyscapers, ever. Despite the super high properly values I created. But now I read about a bug you guys posted here in this thread and it all makes sense. I wish I knew about it...

Anyhow, if this goes on sale, I'll problably pick it up.

pwoz

Aug 27, 2012
So it seems that sims do not progress through the grades in education. You can have full education/attendance with only a university. You can save some money on additional schools by deleting them after you have a university.

The only thing I am not sure about is if the passive benefits of kids in schools (lower crime, etc) are tied to the elementary/high school building itself, or just how much of your population is educated.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
a few of you added me as friends. i've sent a couple of invites to TWL Political Geniuses when i am logged onto America East 4 and see your names on there.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Where did that road layout come from/got anything more? The key to understanding what has been done I feel lies outside the pictures given, because its kind of important to know how the res zones are attached to the central road.

It's a low population for needing anything more than T-intersections with high density roads. Would really like to see the advantage it has at 400k compared to my poorly designed city.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
So it seems that sims do not progress through the grades in education. You can have full education/attendance with only a university. You can save some money on additional schools by deleting them after you have a university.

The only thing I am not sure about is if the passive benefits of kids in schools (lower crime, etc) are tied to the elementary/high school building itself, or just how much of your population is educated.

you need schools for coverage and the actual capacity to educate your sims. i bulldozed all of my schools last night and woke up to an uneducated city. half of my population was gone and i was bleeding $30k per hour.

Sep 7, 2009
you need schools for coverage and the actual capacity to educate your sims. i bulldozed all of my schools last night and woke up to an uneducated city. half of my population was gone and i was bleeding $30k per hour.

Dang... So you loaded up your save from the night before... oh.... nm

Oct 19, 2000
I'm a slow player and just on my second city. At around 90k with my first one but started a second in a larger region with my brother and finally just hit 100k last night. I'm struggling to find an identity at the moment. I'm doing fine, over $700k in the bank and average probably $8k/hour (fluctuates wildly). However, I'm educating most of my sims because I don't want to deal with the crime, but this is hurting my industrial business, as they have no workers. I have quite a bit of low-income industrial for the sole fact that I picked an oil plot and figured they kinda of went hand-in-hand.

What would you guys recommend as a new direction? I still want to drill oil and still have a large portion of my plot empty so I don't have to bulldoze building when I want to build more oil pumps.

pwoz

Aug 27, 2012

Yes, you do need enough room to educate everyone, but university's provide full coverage since sims can use mass transit to get to them.

That being said, running overnight it's also entirely possible you had zombies or something else eat/destroy your population. My cities are running fine with only a university.

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
Yes, you do need enough room to educate everyone, but university's provide full coverage since sims can use mass transit to get to them.

That being said, running overnight it's also entirely possible you had zombies or something else eat/destroy your population. My cities are running fine with only a university.

that's possible. my city is in a bad shape though because this was my first city and i did a whole bunch of things wrong. i woke up with half of my city on fire and huge traffic problems because my fire trucks were stuck at some point in the night.

i have 2.5 mil banked so i think i'll just bulldoze all my non-essential structures and just re-pave with streetcar avenues.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
I'm a slow player and just on my second city. At around 90k with my first one but started a second in a larger region with my brother and finally just hit 100k last night. I'm struggling to find an identity at the moment. I'm doing fine, over $700k in the bank and average probably $8k/hour (fluctuates wildly). However, I'm educating most of my sims because I don't want to deal with the crime, but this is hurting my industrial business, as they have no workers. I have quite a bit of low-income industrial for the sole fact that I picked an oil plot and figured they kinda of went hand-in-hand.

What would you guys recommend as a new direction? I still want to drill oil and still have a large portion of my plot empty so I don't have to bulldoze building when I want to build more oil pumps.

To be honest, I kept my city around 100k population while drilling oil, I used my oil to level up my trade/electronics trading to make tvs. Once you are making TVs it is gg, I have only 3 tv factories, make 3 million per day (100m in the bank right now).

If you want to keep your current city, you need to build a college somewhat close to your industrial buildlings and they will upgrade their tech level and then no longer need low wealth workers.

Sep 7, 2009
Have they fixed the region issues? IE can you have an oil city, ore city, then send those resources over to a tv city?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Man, I want to play this but:

1. Need an OSX version
2. Will wait until city size is larger
3. Will wait until subways and trains make it in