SIM City 5 - Actual Strategy Discussion

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I love how the guy is talking about some of the major bugs and drops lines like "this is such a major deal that I'm sure they will have it patched by the time you watch this video"

Rofl.

Alright, I've played sim city 4 a good 15 hours (with no internet connection at that........) and there are certain aspects of sim city 5 that I really like.

Overall I think sim city 5 has more potential, but I really REALLY wish they would get these bugs worked out.

I don't know if you remember, but when Simcity 4 was new it was literally impossible to get any residential or commercial top tier skyscrapers due to a bug making them require more land value than was possible to obtain. Maxis didn't fix the bug for over a year.

agness

Dec 10, 2012
Simcity looks really good! There are smaller cities, but I think it's good. Generally I don't regret buying it at all.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
I really like how much thought he put into it.

This is what is so wonderful about this game you make it the way you want it.

What are you, insane? The way around this horrible traffic programming is to never have a 4 way intersection. Could you imagine that city? Could you even fathom how impossible it would be to get around if you are constantly making turns EVERYWHERE. Your GPS would be going off non stop. Make the next right. Make the next left. Make the next left. Make the next right. Make the...

I find your defense of this product laughable.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
What are you, insane? The way around this horrible traffic programming is to never have a 4 way intersection. Could you imagine that city? Could you even fathom how impossible it would be to get around if you are constantly making turns EVERYWHERE. Your GPS would be going off non stop. Make the next right. Make the next left. Make the next left. Make the next right. Make the...

There's another SimCity thread if you want to start bashing. :whiste:

Sep 7, 2009

This is the same guy who was claiming he played 11 hours non stop on a day when all of the servers were down for almost 4hours.

This is the same guy insisting that there are no problems and that everyone should just be patient when literally no one could play the game except (supposedly) him.

At very best he is a huge troll and just trying to get a rise out of everyone.

redrider4life4

Jan 23, 2009
The recent patches seemed to have helped quite a lot, traffic isn't really an issue for me at right around 180k population. I have the upgraded bus terminal and around 25k people a day use the bus so that saves a lot of traffic. I have a central park type area between my city and my tv factories that I will be able to use eventually for another 75-100k people most likely.

My biggest issues seem to be people complaining about crime and deaths when there are 0 deaths and 0 crimes committed per day. I can't get to the 85% approval rating because of these two issues and they just make no sense. I put in 4 police precincts and 3 hostpitals yet people still complain so something has to be glitched there.

Nintendesert

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2010
I totally screwed up on demolishing my city. I now have hundreds of criminals destroying anything I try to build. I think I need to just start fresh.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
The recent patches seemed to have helped quite a lot, traffic isn't really an issue for me at right around 180k population. I have the upgraded bus terminal and around 25k people a day use the bus so that saves a lot of traffic. I have a central park type area between my city and my tv factories that I will be able to use eventually for another 75-100k people most likely.

My biggest issues seem to be people complaining about crime and deaths when there are 0 deaths and 0 crimes committed per day. I can't get to the 85% approval rating because of these two issues and they just make no sense. I put in 4 police precincts and 3 hostpitals yet people still complain so something has to be glitched there.

Yeah I had that problem too. It's messed up. I had cops everywhere, detective wing and all. Hospitals had every upgrade too, surgical center, diagnostics lab.. Every type of school and extras, bus stops everywhere, tons of extra desks, and I also had frequent complaints of people upset they couldn't go to school. I'm guessing that part was due to the crap traffic system and how it seems every single school bus follows the same route.

Yet my low-wealth huge population city filled with pollution and germs had 88% approval, less health complaints too...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
It is interesting that you can still build a city without all of the desired zones. In fact the second city I built didnt have a single industrial zone in it. And I think it looks a hell of a lot nicer because of it.

Sep 7, 2009
It is interesting that you can still build a city without all of the desired zones. In fact the second city I built didnt have a single industrial zone in it. And I think it looks a hell of a lot nicer because of it.

Technically you could have a real city without any industrial zones. Add in that people can commute in/out and it makes even more sense from a realism perspective.

Possessed Freak

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 1999
There's another SimCity thread if you want to start bashing. :whiste:
I want to buy this game in the future. I have owned nearly every sim game until simisle. I wanted to believe this would be great. I wanted to believe the same thing with Spore. I want them to fix this crap and make the game enjoyable. Once it is fixed I will buy this game (preferably if they also increase the size of the playable area). Until then, I don't wish to fight against the crappy programming.

paperfist

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
www.the-teh.com

Did you have a recycling center, power plant, trade depots?

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I just realized that one facet that would make traffic more bearable that is missing is subways. Does anyone remember a reason to them being excluded?

Krueger81

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2000
anyone have any spots available in their Region? I am looking to start over since I am not really attached to my region, as I am the only one playing in it. I play on North East 1 I believe but would switch.

Thanks
Phil

Kevmanw430

Mar 11, 2011
Krueger, add me on Origin, kevmawn430. I'm in a growing private region that could use some more people.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
im in kevman's region. i had 5 firetrucks responding to one fire. all 5 were driven by stevie wonder.

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
this game is borked.

how can a city the size of the town I grew up in (population 4200) have 100k residents?

They should call it "SimTown with Bogus Population Numbers and No Need to Zone Anything Except Residential"

nerp

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
I don't know if you remember, but when Simcity 4 was new it was literally impossible to get any residential or commercial top tier skyscrapers due to a bug making them require more land value than was possible to obtain. Maxis didn't fix the bug for over a year.

The Rush Hour expansion was really a huge rewrite/patch. SC4 was crap when it came out. Totally and utterly broken. Only reason the outcry is less memorable was that it was 2003 and you didn't have as much visible whining on social media.