Question Should I finally make the switch to AMD?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
So, I've always used an Intel cpu and currently have the i7 9700k + Nvidia 3080 FE + 16GB ram on Asus Z390 E ROG STRIX mobo. I was thinking of upgrading cpu to fully compliment the 3080 for 4K gaming. I've read some great things about the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X but I know the new Intel Rocket Lakes are coming out tomorrow. You guys have any recommendations for cpu upgrade?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Low end and no IGP... how much are you going to spend on a Video Card? With current GPU prices I doubt you can really build a budget non-gaming computer around these.
Good point about the iGPU. But in Larry's case, he has more parts, including vid cards, in stock, than Best Buy :p

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Lon covers the tech shortage causes really well. He thinks it will be about this time next year when the correction occurs, and there could be a potential glut. I am not so optimistic. My cynicism says that even if supply constraints are removed, profit mongering will go on for as long as they can sustain it. One of those excuses to make a "new normal". I hope I am wrong.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Lon covers the tech shortage causes really well. He thinks it will be about this time next year when the correction occurs, and there could be a potential glut. I am not so optimistic. My cynicism says that even if supply constraints are removed, profit mongering will go on for as long as they can sustain it. One of those excuses to make a "new normal". I hope I am wrong.

I hope you are wrong too because I still need to upgrade my GPU, but will not do so with the current condition the market is in right now. And if it means I need to wait a year I will do so.

B-Riz

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2011
I would prefer to spend those 50 U$D on a modern Processor with IGP than on a low end 7 years old card. I wouldn't be surprised if the IGP was actually faster. Add in power consumption and fan noise.

Lol, no, I am not advocating getting one, but it is an option... I have a few low end nVidia cards grabbed for $20 a piece from EVGA B stock back when there was no GPU shortage.

Right now, it seems the best option if not piecing and building your own is getting a pre-built with a Ryzen 5 4600G or something similar.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
My cynicism says that even if supply constraints are removed, profit mongering will go on for as long as they can sustain it. One of those excuses to make a "new normal". I hope I am wrong.

Unless so many companies die off to the extent that we're left with an effective monopoly, what you fear won't happen. Assuming it were just that easy, you have to ask why it hasn't already happened or why it didn't happen before the pandemic. At most you might wind up with some companies colluding to fix prices as we've seen with things like memory, but even if supply constraints remain the market will eventually run out of consumers willing to pay the higher markup for products and prices must fall in response and will continue to do so.

Some other company wants to make money too and pent-up demand makes it particularly easy because brand loyalty ultimately has a price and no one has ever had a problem with attracting customers by undercutting established players.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
but even if supply constraints remain the market will eventually run out of consumers willing to pay the higher markup for products and prices must fall in response and will continue to do so.
Unless... the "elephant in the room"... Hyper-Inflation happens, or is happening.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Unless... the "elephant in the room"... Hyper-Inflation happens, or is happening.

That's more of a side effect of so much production being stunted or stopped during the pandemic than anything else, so as soon as that returns to normal, so will the rate of inflation.

Unless it were to get seriously out of hand (say 15% per year or so) it would take a long time for the cost (adjusted for inflation) to catch up to the current market price for GPUs.

Prices will return back to normal whenever ETH takes a dive for whatever reason. I'm sure we'll go through all of this again a few more times before people get used to it.