Question Should I finally make the switch to AMD?

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
So, I've always used an Intel cpu and currently have the i7 9700k + Nvidia 3080 FE + 16GB ram on Asus Z390 E ROG STRIX mobo. I was thinking of upgrading cpu to fully compliment the 3080 for 4K gaming. I've read some great things about the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X but I know the new Intel Rocket Lakes are coming out tomorrow. You guys have any recommendations for cpu upgrade?

MrGrim999

Jan 12, 2015
I didn't see that thread. Yea , I guess I'll wait to read the new reviews to come. But you guys are prob right, I was just itchin to upgrade :) I use my 4k Sony TV as a monitor so I'm kinda limited to 60hz. I guess I thought maybe the extra cores and threads would have given me some difference.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
I didn't see that thread. Yea , I guess I'll wait to read the new reviews to come. But you guys are prob right, I was just itchin to upgrade :) I use my 4k Sony TV as a monitor so I'm kinda limited to 60hz. I guess I thought maybe the extra cores and threads would have given me some difference.
you can use Fraps and see what you get now compared to the future reviews etc.. i dont feel like you will gain anything at 60fps, spend your money on a new hdmi 2.1 55+" tv

Reactions: Tlh97 and MrGrim999

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
it's hard to justify any new processors since you already have a powerful 9700k, it's gonna be a little sidegrade at best. It's your money though. But if not an issue then grab a 5900x i guess.
Sidegrade? I have a 8700k 6c12t (9700k is 8c8t and bit lower freq)
My 5600x is faster. So sure a 5900x is too.
No need to say its sidefrade "at best" what is that?
That said if you game at 60hz it clearly doesnt matter. And i would say even for 120hz the 9700k is fine for the 1% mins except a few outlayers.
I would certainly wait for zen 4 or even better 5.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tlh97

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
So, I've always used an Intel cpu and currently have the i7 9700k + Nvidia 3080 FE + 16GB ram on Asus Z390 E ROG STRIX mobo. I was thinking of upgrading cpu to fully compliment the 3080 for 4K gaming. I've read some great things about the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X but I know the new Intel Rocket Lakes are coming out tomorrow. You guys have any recommendations for cpu upgrade?
It will be really difficult to find any meaningful difference between higher-end CPUs from the current 2-3 generations (including Rocket Lake) in 4K gaming, even with a 3080. If you were always satisfied with your Intel picks, that alone is no reason to switch whatsoever.

Reactions: NTMBK and Tlh97

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Is a 5900X better? Yes, by quite a bit. Will you actually notice any difference in your gaming? Nope. Save your money. Take a trip or something instead.
"Take a Trip or something" seems like the best advice, barring other recommendations from the CDC!!!

The money is burning a hole in his pocket, but his malady is not nearly so bad as that of a millionaire I know who "had to have" a Falcon 2000 jet, and then decided to take his wife to Vancouver, BC in a whimsical junket so they could sit in a restaurant to dine on freshly-caught Alaskan crab, returning to Phoenix hours later. He also bought a $20,000 wrist-watch to wear, was approached by a woman who recognized the watch and its price-tag, and then he cringed at the type of people he was attracting. But -- he "had to have" that wrist-watch!!

On the matter of computer parts, I'm not moralizing. It's more rational than people who trade in last year's new car so they can buy the current make and model, eager to sweep more money out the door.

Personally, I have to balance my practical computer needs, which are extensive, against any desire to have the latest, greatest most demanding games and the hardware to play them. For me, it's also the issue of the time and effort spent in moving the OS from older to newer hardware, and tweaking it to resurrect total compatibility. In some cases, a person might find it more expedient to simply do a fresh OS install and build the software configurations from scratch.

My own biggest mistake? It's my "vaping-pen motherboard disaster" reaction. I could've repaired my "old" Z170 system for a mere $88 in shipping charges to RMA the dead motherboard to ASUS. Instead, my "stimulus" money grew wings as I went on a binge purchasing $1,000 in hardware. Thus, people told me I should've upgraded, even to last year's Comet Lake or to a Ryzen.

Is this a "pent-up demand" situation brought on by people "sheltering-in-place" to weather the current plague? I wouldn't know. In my personal case, I suspect as much. And it's harder to assess, given the fact that our members here are always eager to "try new things". It's a prevailing motivation on these forums. I could kick myself for the panic spending. But I'm going to take several months to deliberately plan and execute any upgrade to significantly-new hardware. . . . Even if it might have cost me less in hindsight than my repair project.

Reactions: krumme
Nov 26, 2005
I'd say wait for Ryzen 4 with DDR 5. The 5k series is a great chip but people are finding core errors with CoreCycler at stock bios default settings. CoreCycler is basically Prime95 doing SSE instructions for the lightest load to maximize the core speed while not heating the core up, and cycling through each core. With Curve Optimizer the issue can be mitigated. AM4 socket is also EOL.

Reactions: killster1

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If you're gaming at 4K, a CPU upgrade isn't likely to make a lot of difference as you'll almost be entirely GPU bound. The 9700K still has plenty of legs and I think you'd be better served by holding off for at least one more generation. There are some early rumors that Zen 4 will offer some substantial gains over Zen 3 and Intel's Alder Lake is going to be the first desktop part on a new node in over 7 years.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
If you're gaming at 4K, a CPU upgrade isn't likely to make a lot of difference as you'll almost be entirely GPU bound. The 9700K still has plenty of legs and I think you'd be better served by holding off for at least one more generation. There are some early rumors that Zen 4 will offer some substantial gains over Zen 3 and Intel's Alder Lake is going to be the first desktop part on a new node in over 7 years.
See . . . . that makes a lot of sense . . .

Personally, the only reason I can think of as to why I haven't built an AMD system: I need to keep my life as simple as possible now . .. :rolleyes:

Reactions: lobz

SAAA

May 14, 2014
Know what? You guys are right! This might be the perfect excuse to finally get an 120hz OLED :)

That's objectively a better upgrade than any new CPU right now. Heck even Alder or Zen 4 wouldn't be worth switching for when you are bottlenecked by the display itself, unless you prefer games that aren't really frantic and more computationally bound, like strategy or simulation.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I will go against the grain. Sell your board and CPU and go either 10th gen Intel or 5 series AMD. Because the last 5-6 years have driven home a few lessons for me.
  1. Hardware is volatile. There is no knowing what pricing and availability will be later, no matter when that question might be asked.
  2. Ignore what benchmarks seem to reveal. Why? People buying 2/4 i3 and 4/4 i5 3 years ago, did it based on benchmarks. They aged horribly. 8 threads, physical or not, has games pushing it to its limit already. With the Nvidia driver overhead performance impact, discord, windows doing background stuff, etc. and it will soon be overworked.
  3. Sell while the value of your components is still good. Put the proceeds toward your new CPU and board. I would pony up for 8/16 if building now.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
With a 9700K I'd be in no hurry to upgrade. Wait to see what Alder Lake does. If it isn't motivating, then wait for Zen 4. None of the extant products are, in my opinion, compelling enough to buy a new motherboard & CPU combination.

Reactions: MadSki and CHADBOGA

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
With a 9700K I'd be in no hurry to upgrade. Wait to see what Alder Lake does. If it isn't motivating, then wait for Zen 4. None of the extant products are, in my opinion, compelling enough to buy a new motherboard & CPU combination.
I am not arguing with you, but this is exactly the type of comment that has left those who listened, unable to buy a GPU without getting scalped now. Don't forget PSUs and CPUs keep suffering from this issue on and off too. Forcing buyers to constantly watch the market for their openings. Time is your only real currency, spend it wisely. Honestly, at this point, the wait for the next thing, has become a mantra the last few years. When do they stop waiting? And there are VERY significant upgrades to his present CPU right now, where after selling his present stuff, makes the upgrade attractive.

And the waiting game is a dice roll because of tariffs, supply and demand issues, and overall pricing volatility. You could be facing lack of availability, price hikes, scalping, early adopter blues, and who knows what else. The 10th gen and 5 series are going to be relevant for years to come. Perhaps elite pro gamers might benefit before that, but the rest of us will be doing great on an 8/16 or higher modern platform for years to come. They should hold up the way 4/8 and HEDT 6/12 CPUs did for so long.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
I am not arguing with you, but this is exactly the type of comment that has left those who listened, unable to buy a GPU without getting scalped now. Don't forget PSUs and CPUs keep suffering from this issue on and off too. Forcing buyers to constantly watch the market for their openings. Time is your only real currency, spend it wisely. Honestly, at this point, the wait for the next thing, has become a mantra the last few years. When do they stop waiting? And there are VERY significant upgrades to his present CPU right now, where after selling his present stuff, makes the upgrade attractive.

And the waiting game is a dice roll because of tariffs, supply and demand issues, and overall pricing volatility. You could be facing lack of availability, price hikes, scalping, early adopter blues, and who knows what else. The 10th gen and 5 series are going to be relevant for years to come. Perhaps elite pro gamers might benefit before that, but the rest of us will be doing great on an 8/16 or higher modern platform for years to come. They should hold up the way 4/8 and HEDT 6/12 CPUs did for so long.
I'm not sure I follow. If one has a 9700K and some decent GPU it is easy to weather these shortages. There is no need to panic buy expensive hardware fearing another shortage if you have a decent, working set up.

Reactions: lobz

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm not sure I follow. If one has a 9700K and some decent GPU it is easy to weather these shortages. There is no need to panic buy expensive hardware fearing another shortage if you have a decent, working set up.
Another shortage? We are in one right now, for GPUs, and the 5900 series from AMD for MSRP is another rarity. And you are right and wrong about the 9700K. It depends on what games, res, settings, and other apps you use. And the resale value on an 8/8 CPU is going to suffer as the months go by. Longhair Steve was telling everyone early last year to chill. Linus, Jay, and a bunch of us message boarders were saying build now. I don't think I need to pursue how that has worked out.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012

I have to agree with this. "Waiting" is what I always got when I asked for advice on upgrading from the 8700k and 1080Ti and it now looks like I will have to hold on to this GPU until middle of 2022...if it lasts me that long and I sure hope it does becuause since November I've tried to get a 3080 and now the 3080Ti will be out in may.

No availability but new crap keeps coming out. Sometimes it's just the upgrade itch which I tried to scratch earlier so now I'm stuck.

The 9700 is a good cpu and he already has a 3080. I wouldn't really want to switch at that point. At the same time people are asking me why bother upgrading to an 11900k from the 8700?

If you want to go AMD well that's great if you really want all the threads. But again, if I could get a 5950x right now at a decent price I wouldn't be holding on to the 11900k preorder.

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I have to agree with this. "Waiting" is what I always got when I asked for advice on upgrading from the 8700k and 1080Ti and it now looks like I will have to hold on to this GPU until middle of 2022...if it lasts me that long and I sure hope it does becuause since November I've tried to get a 3080 and now the 3080Ti will be out in may.

No availability but new crap keeps coming out. Sometimes it's just the upgrade itch which I tried to scratch earlier so now I'm stuck.

The 9700 is a good cpu and he already has a 3080. I wouldn't really want to switch at that point. At the same time people are asking me why bother upgrading to an 11900k from the 8700?

If you want to go AMD well that's great if you really want all the cores. But again, if I could get a 5950x right now at a decent price I wouldn't be holding on to the 11900k preorder.
I'd rather have your CPU than his. Those extra threads are going to be more important than the extra cores alone as time goes by. I have seen Techdeals play Breakpoint with the 9700K, no discord or anything running, and it was right on the edge of being used up. It won't be long before that happens.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Another shortage? We are in one right now, for GPUs, and the 5900 series from AMD for MSRP is another rarity. And you are right and wrong about the 9700K. It depends on what games, res, settings, and other apps you use. And the resale value on an 8/8 CPU is going to suffer as the months go by. Longhair Steve was telling everyone early last year to chill. Linus, Jay, and a bunch of us message boarders were saying build now. I don't think I need to pursue how that has worked out.
Exactly, and that is all the more reason to not rush into an upgrade from the 9700K.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
Yes, exactly: why buy in a shortage? Regardless, it's your money do what you want.

Reactions: Furious_Styles