SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
In their ever increasing in speed push left of common sense, at least one leading leftist politician is claiming that even convicted terrorists in prison should be allowed to vote. I could be open to this for certain crimes, but for the most part I'm fine with the right to vote being suspended or removed for felons and those convicted of other significant crimes. Once debt to society is paid and the person shows that they are rehabilitated and will, within reason, live within the laws and regulations of society I am fine with that person having the right to vote. But I do not think the Boston Marathon bomber's voice should have any meaning when selecting our elected officials.

https://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/2019/04/23/bernie-sanders-vote-marathon-bomber/

https://www.theepochtimes.com/berni...enders-should-be-allowed-to-vote_2890884.html

Last edited:
Reactions: FelixDeCat
Nov 29, 2006
Edit: I have changed my opinion. They should be able to vote just like everyone else. Lots of good examples below that do a much better job than i could articulate.

Last edited:

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
All citizens should have the right to vote. Yes, even convicted felons. Yes, even convicted felons still serving their sentence. By being allowed the right to vote they're being reminded that they are part of a society because they're taking part in that society. This can only have a positive impact on recidivism.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Not surprised that the alt-reich will now seize on the comments of one candidate for office in order to prevent ANY legislation restoring voting rights for non-violent felons who did their time/paid for their crime.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
The government should not be able to deny people the vote by imprisoning them.

Sure they should. When you commit a crime and are convicted, you forfeit your rights. This is why they are imprisoned and no longer have the freedom to travel, as another example of a right forfeited. Likewise someone should show that they posses a base level ability to function within the laws of society to vote.

Just so I'm clear on this, you guys want convicted white nationalist Nazi types, in prison for hate crimes, to have the right to vote?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
There should be a fundamental, constitutional right for all adult citizens to vote, white nationalist Nazi types included.

The fundamental purpose of a democracy is to determine the will of its citizens and people who commit crimes are citizens too.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Sure they should. When you commit a crime and are convicted, you forfeit your rights. This is why they are imprisoned and no longer have the freedom to travel, as another example of a right forfeited. Likewise someone should show that they posses a base level ability to function within the laws of society to vote.

Just so I'm clear on this, you guys want convicted white nationalist Nazi types, in prison for hate crimes, to have the right to vote?
Politicians can criminalize anything and use that to take away people's right to vote them out. I guess you trust politicians more than me.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
There should be a fundamental, constitutional right for all adult citizens to vote, white nationalist Nazi types included.

The fundamental purpose of a democracy is to determine the will of its citizens and people who commit crimes are citizens too.

You lose fundamental rights when convicted of a substantial crime. You and I have the right to travel, to do with our day as we please, not the case when someone is imprisoned.

In the past I've been told I am a Nazi sympathizer on this site because I said people have the right to free speech even if it is speech I disagree with and is hateful. I think you were even one of those posters in the past. Would you say this is a double standard in logic?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Black teens who smoked a joint probably outnumber them 20,000 to 1.

Probably white teens too. I don't think anyone should be in prison over what they choose to put into their own bodies. But, all we can do is work to change the law.

That has nothing to do with if or if not someone should have the right to vote after being convicted of a substantial crime and still in prison for that.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
You lose fundamental rights when convicted of a substantial crime. You and I have the right to travel, to do with our day as we please, not the case when someone is imprisoned.

Rights can be restricted when there is a compelling case for government action to restrict them. I see no compelling reason to prevent people from voting because they broke a law.

In the past I've been told I am a Nazi sympathizer on this site because I said people have the right to free speech even if it is speech I disagree with and is hateful. I think you were even one of those posters in the past. Would you say this is a double standard in logic?

No, you're a Nazi/white nationalist sympathizer because you hold similar viewpoints to them and you support a president who is clearly supportive of white nationalism. It has nothing to do with free speech.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Rights can be restricted when there is a compelling case for government action to restrict them. I see no compelling reason to prevent people from voting because they broke a law.

If it was a significant law, then the punishment should also be significant. I don't care if a guy who raped a three year old thinks should be mayor, apparently you think your opinion is worth the same as that person's.

No, you're a Nazi/white nationalist sympathizer because you hold similar viewpoints to them and you support a president who is clearly supportive of white nationalism. It has nothing to do with free speech.

Trump condemns Nazis and the like, has not once sided with them, I posted earlier in another thread how tonight I will be happy to see the execution carried out of a guy that dragged a black man behind his car until dead. I am in no way a Nazi sympathizer, you're just showing your emotion and lack of logic again.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Every American should be able to vote no matter where they are or who they are.

Yes. There is no compelling case to restrict the right to vote for people in prison or who have been convicted of crimes any more than there is to restrict their 1st amendment rights.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Voting is the most basic and most fundamental right a citizen can have. I agree with Bernie. Every citizen should have the right to vote. Even felons that are still serving their sentence in prison. Government should not be able to take away voting right by criminalizing certain behaviors that automatically result in loss of voting rights.

P.S. make this thread a poll, I'm curious what AT people think.

soundforbjt

Lifer
Feb 15, 2002
Florida's Gov is still slow-walking restoring voting rights to felons who have served their time since the new law was passed, wonder why?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
No, I do not believe they should.

The whole point to being in prison is you gave up your rights. What MAYBE should happen is reclassification of some felonies into misdemeanors (lots of scrutinizing this because what should the cutoff be?). Basically what I'm hearing is yet more 'why hold anyone accountable for their actions' from this group.

This suggestion is an example of the left going too far.

Hypothetical: But basically you are suggesting that murderers can vote in a manner that will lessen their sentence ; more payoffs/promises when convicts get out of jail for votes. It is a never ending downward spiral because whatever the worst scenario you can imagine happening WILL happen. Concentrate on fixing the broke ass system before you throw another broke ass wrench into it.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001

His point clearly flew right over your head.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
This is the attitude that often lets the justice system get away with basically anything inside prisons no matter how corrupt or illegal. Prisoners have rights.

Well that's corruption...that is not the same thing and a whole different issue. If the 'corrupt' were held to the same standards as the rest of us, there'd be less corruption. They want to be corrupt and get caught? They get the same treatment - it's pretty much a no brainer. Instead everyone 'shurks responsibility' and protect their own.

Just saying 'hey, I know you broke a bunch of laws, but what the hell, this one politician says he'll forgive all your sins and let you out if you vote for him' sounds like a pretty plausible scenario.

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
Hypothetical: But basically you are suggesting that murderers can vote in a manner that will lessen their sentence ; more payoffs/promises when convicts get out of jail for votes. It is a never ending downward spiral because whatever the worst scenario you can imagine happening WILL happen. Concentrate on fixing the broke ass system before you throw another broke ass wrench into it.
Hypothetically speaking if there are enough murderers in prison that their vote can sway the results of the vote then the society has already failed. People do not commit serious crimes if their lives are good. There is strong correlation between poor quality of life, lack of opportunities, destitution, and crime. If there is too much crime it means the society is not working for large portion of society. Instead of ignoring the problem, shoving the people in prison in ever increasing numbers, and disenfranchising them from society, how about we put more effort into making our social structures work for everybody?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Maybe I'm talking to a bunch of ex-felons.

I mean, if Trump goes to jail do you want him voting? I sure don't.