Shooting at art festival in Texas

Page 25 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Crazy wasn't the best word to use either was it
Because in most of these cases, very few are actually crazy

It's not problematic to identify it. It's problematic to identify all the different reasons why
Up here you often hear people wondering why so many Americans kill each other
They've put you all into a nice little group and concluded you guys will kill each other at the drop of a hat
There's thousands of news stories and lots of stats that back that up
Now, you and I know that Americans aren't just one big group.
That's what it seems your doing with Muslims.

You sound very stupid right now. So because Americans have a murder rate of 4.7 per 100,000 vs Canada's 1.6 per 100,000; its now wrong to say that Muslims make up a disproportionate number of terrorists in the US, and even more so globally.

Typically Americans are called the dumb ones, but you are striving for equality I guess.

Just because you don't like the idea that Muslims make up a disproportionate number of terrorists, does not mean its wrong to say the facts. Again, there are bigger concerns to peoples lives than Islamic terrorism. But, its pretty clear you are trying to put your ideals ahead of facts. Its probably good that you are not in a position of influence because your stupidity would likely hurt many people.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
You sound very stupid right now. So because Americans have a murder rate of 4.7 per 100,000 vs Canada's 1.6 per 100,000; its now wrong to say that Muslims make up a disproportionate number of terrorists in the US, and even more so globally.

Typically Americans are called the dumb ones, but you are striving for equality I guess.

Just because you don't like the idea that Muslims make up a disproportionate number of terrorists, does not mean its wrong to say the facts. Again, there are bigger concerns to peoples lives than Islamic terrorism. But, its pretty clear you are trying to put your ideals ahead of facts. Its probably good that you are not in a position of influence because your stupidity would likely hurt many people.

I've never been called dumb in real life.
You can't make a post without calling me stupid.
I have no idea who you are and can't even begin to from what you've posted here in P&N since I've never noticed you before.
I hope I don't cause you too much frustration, thanks for attempting to educate me

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
I've never been called dumb in real life.
You can't make a post without calling me stupid.
I have no idea who you are and can't even begin to from what you've posted here in P&N since I've never noticed you before.
I hope I don't cause you too much frustration, thanks for attempting to educate me

Is it really that hard for you to admit you are wrong?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Is it really that hard for you to admit you are wrong?

I've been wrong hundreds of times, admitted it every time.
If you can't do that, you will never grow as a person.
A guy can have all kinds of degrees and still not understand that lesson

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
:eek:

2.4 million Muslims in the US. 1 terrorist attack for every 1.2 million Muslims in the US.

99 Million "Right Wing" in the US. 1 terrorist attack for every 8.25 million "Right Wing" people in the us.

Holy shit, how did you need me to do the math? By your own damn numbers, its pretty obvious.

By this alone, which is by your numbers, we get that Muslims in the US are 6.875 times more likely to commit terrorism than "Right Wing" people.

So, still dumb eh?
Is radical/extremist Islam a liberal or left-wing ideology?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I misspelled original. My Name is Earl was big at the time
Why boomerang?
I figured you misspelled it. It just seems like a simple thing to correct and one the mods would have been happy to help you with. But hey, maybe it's become something you identify with eh?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So, radical/extremist Islam preaches the acceptance of diverging views regarding proper lifestyles, religious choices, and social liberties?

Alrighty then!

The whole point it was ever compared is because of Earl. I said that Muslims make up a disproportionate number of terrorists in the US. Earl then said that "Right Wing" make up a disproportionate number of terrorists. I then used numbers and logic to prove my point. Earl then just ignored it. Its not like I was trying to say they were in opposition, because I have no idea if thats true or not. I simply backed my claim that Muslims as a religious group make up a disproportionate number of terrorists.

Its kinda dumb, because I have numbers and facts on my side, but he has feelings so...meh.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
I figured you misspelled it. It just seems like a simple thing to correct and one the mods would have been happy to help you with. But hey, maybe it's become something you identify with eh?

I noticed a long time ago it bothered some posters here, it doesn't bother me at all.
I've noticed that since I've had Lousie's pic in my av, I get a ton more replies to my posts then when I had my real pic.

Weird eh

Why boomerang?

nickqt

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2015
The whole point it was ever compared is because of Earl. I said that Muslims make up a disproportionate number of terrorists in the US. Earl then said that "Right Wing" make up a disproportionate number of terrorists. I then used numbers and logic to prove my point. Earl then just ignored it. Its not like I was trying to say they were in opposition, because I have no idea if thats true or not. I simply backed my claim that Muslims as a religious group make up a disproportionate number of terrorists.

Its kinda dumb, because I have numbers and facts on my side, but he has feelings so...meh.
Sure, but numbers and categories are often drawn and figured arbitrarily. I was just pointing out that how you define those categories can change the numbers.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005

Oh..don't worry about my feelings. You let all your frustrations out.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are? What do you do? Wife, kids?
I've shared a lot about myself, can you?

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Oh..don't worry about my feelings. You let all your frustrations out.
Do you mind if I ask how old you are? What do you do? Wife, kids?
I've shared a lot about myself, can you?

My life is easy, and my frustrations small.

Data input and reporting
Been with my girlfriend for 10 years. Saving for a wedding because we just bought a house.
No kids yet.

Anything else?

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
My life is easy, and my frustrations small.

Data input and reporting
Been with my girlfriend for 10 years. Saving for a wedding because we just bought a house.
No kids yet.

Anything else?

Ah, couple years older then my oldest.
He's been married couple years now and runs his own business
We built his house about 5 years ago
Thanks, I can relate more to you now

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ah, couple years older then my oldest.
He's been married couple years now and runs his own business
We built his house about 5 years ago
Thanks, I can relate more to you now

You seem a lot more reasonable now. Do you understand that it's not racist or intolerant to say that Muslims are unique when it comes to terrorism? I understand that you don't want to give fuel to bigots, but you can go too far. There is a lot of misunderstanding in this past of the world toward Muslims. The best way to deal with that is through reason and facts, even when those facts challenge your previous views.

As you now know, I am fairly young. There are many thing I thought I knew that were completely wrong. If you have facts I am more than willing to hear you out.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
You seem a lot more reasonable now.

That's the way it goes once you get to know people

Do you understand that it's not racist or intolerant to say that Muslims are unique when it comes to terrorism? I understand that you don't want to give fuel to bigots, but you can go too far. There is a lot of misunderstanding in this past of the world toward Muslims. The best way to deal with that is through reason and facts, even when those facts challenge your previous views.

As you now know, I am fairly young. There are many thing I thought I knew that were completely wrong. If you have facts I am more than willing to hear you out.

I don't think it unique at all
We have been at war in their countries for a long time now, ( US Muslim terrorist attacks always have a Middle East connection) the US has been influencing generations of Muslims (Middle Eastern) for decades (abc's of Jihad etc) supporting dictators/kings,
Once in a while that's going to bite us back
It's happened a thousand times though out history
Posters here have said the same things dozens of times

The Muslims I've worked with, visited their homes and families are good people
I can't say I got to know the Muslim doc who saved my life well, but he's good in my book
I know Christians who are more strict and assholes then any Muslims Ive met.
But that's back to the numbers thing again eh

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
That's the way it goes once you get to know people

I don't think it unique at all
We have been at war in their countries for a long time now, ( US Muslim terrorist attacks always have a Middle East connection) the US has been influencing generations of Muslims (Middle Eastern) for decades (abc's of Jihad etc) supporting dictators/kings,
Once in a while that's going to bite us back
It's happened a thousand times though out history
Posters here have said the same things dozens of times

The Muslims I've worked with, visited their homes and families are good people
I can't say I got to know the Muslim doc who saved my life well, but he's good in my book
I know Christians who are more strict and assholes then any Muslims Ive met.
But that's back to the numbers thing again eh

The majority of Muslims you are likely to meet will be fine people. That said, there is a very real numbers problem with terrorism. In the US, Islamic terrorism is so low its stupid to focus on vs other forms. Globally, that is not the case. Regional beliefs are important here, as Muslims like all people, start to be influenced by those around them.

That is not always the case though, as we are seeing new things start to happen. The Boston bombers, Jihadi John, and many others were raised in areas where you would expect extreme views to be watered down, and they are not. The ones who are attacking the west in their own countries are people that by all accounts are assimilated.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-2000-Britons-fighting-for-Islamic-State.html

The estimation is that there are now over 2000 Britons that have joined ISIS. Here in North America, its very different, but even here we see disproportionate representation in terms of terrorism. I wont make the claim that I fully understand what is going on, but the numbers seem to point to something.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
I mentioned earlier that I work at a lumber yard, that's mostly why these two have judged me as dumb.
Over my time here, I've done a lot of reading on antisocial stuff.
A lot of other posters bring it up also (probably why a poster did the survey) the Dunning–Kruger effect is rampant here
Speaking just for myself, I missed that you work at a lumber yard, I have nothing but respect for people who work at lumber yards as a group, and that has absolutely zero to do with my thinking you are dumb. As to why you've never been told you are dumb in real life, it's normally not polite to tell stupid people they are stupid.

If however they are pretending to be smart, on the Internet or in real life, it's practically mandatory.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
The majority of Muslims you are likely to meet will be fine people.

All of the Muslims you will meet won't be terrorists, all of the people you meet won't be terrorists.
The odds of us coming across a terrorist in our lifetimes are very very very slim

Well...not in real life anyways, when a guy threatens your life and your families on the internet, I suppose he could be considered a terrorist

Last edited:

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Speaking just for myself, I missed that you work at a lumber yard, I have nothing but respect for people who work at lumber yards as a group, and that has absolutely zero to do with my thinking you are dumb. As to why you've never been told you are dumb in real life, it's normally not polite to tell stupid people they are stupid.

If however they are pretending to be smart, on the Internet or in real life, it's practically mandatory.

Nope, wasn't typing about you.
Pretty sure you won't find any dumbies leading a crew of a couple dozen guys.
At least not in my fields of work.

edit- Speaking of, dummie student worker, damn near got himself squished between a couple of lifts last week. Sent him on his way. Dummies end up dead or killing someone else. That's my everyday

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
All of the Muslims you will meet won't be terrorists, all of the people you meet won't be terrorists.
The odds of us coming across a terrorist in our lifetimes are very very very slim

Well...not in real life anyways, when a guy threatens your life and your families on the internet, I suppose he could be considered a terrorist

That is not the point. Like I said, there are bigger things to worry about, but that does not change the facts. You can say that people should worry about more important things, but you can't say Muslims are normal in terms of terrorism.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
That is not the point. Like I said, there are bigger things to worry about, but that does not change the facts. You can say that people should worry about more important things, but you can't say Muslims are normal in terms of terrorism.

sigh..
Ya ok..and some of the bigger things to worry about are getting hit by lighting or the huge risk of falling down the stairs